News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anything Im missing to make my 67 charger radio function

Started by Dave27, January 26, 2015, 09:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave27

Hooked up my radio and nothing happened.Hooked the white wire to the lights,lights work fine.Hooked the red wire to 12 volts and hooked up the green speaker wires and nothing.I noticed their is a large spade on the speaker on the oposite side of where the green wires connect does that spade need a ground wire or is it nothing.My other thought is that the speaker could be toast.Just want to make sure Im not missing anything befor I remove the speaker or take the radio in...Thankyou....Dave

Cncguy

First I would try reversing the speaker wires, if they are two wire speakers. If that doesn't work get a new speaker and see if that works.

A383Wing

reversing speaker wires will do nothing...wires can go on both ways.

Is radio case grounded? Di you have a good antenna and is it plugged in? Is your speaker good? Try another speaker

Dave27

Will give it a try again when I get home today.Thankyou

Dave27

Ok made sure it was getting a good ground no difference.Also ran a temp power wire straight from battery no difference either.I still need to check the speaker if thats not it Illl get the radio repaired or find another.I knew I shouldnt have bought an "untested" radio off ebay I should have told him to test it.liv and learn.

ODZKing

With no antenna connected you will get nothing. You may be able to hear "hiss" if you turn it all the way up but that is all.
And ground is KEY. No ground, no workie.
If I remember correctly the EL radio has 1 white wire, that is for the lighting only. Then there should be another for radio power, I don't remember if it is red or orange. Then another wire for hot to speaker. Try connecting that and a jumper directly to ground.  I can check further with one of my radios at home.
Next I'd try a speaker you are absolutely sure works.  If still nothing you probably have a blown output transistor.  There wasn't that much to these to go wrong.   :shruggy:

Brock Lee

If you had an antenna hooked up and didn't get anything out of it, it will need to be serviced. To be brutally honest, it doesn't take much. The problem these radios suffer is the electrolytic capacitors in them swell and sometimes even burst over time. The caps are plentiful and literally pennies each (if you shop around). If you are good with a soldering iron, grab a Photofact on eBay for your radio, locate all the electrolytic caps, their values and quantities, seek out new, and replace them.

Dave27

Thankyou for the info I might have to  give it a whirl. i called a repair shop and they want 160.00 to fix it didnt sound to horrible over the grand scope of things :)

Yatzee

Personally, I wouldn't screw with the thing - it's day has come and gone. $160 would be a waste of good cash when you can do this and get so much more.....

http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

Ghoste

My fear with that is that they'd screw up the el lighting while they were in there.