News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

flexplate not right - rests on converter weights?

Started by Evelbist, January 22, 2015, 12:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evelbist

i've installed the 727 onto a 440 in my '69. have not bolted the flexplate to the Torque Converter yet, but have torqued the trans case to the engine.

the inspection cover has not been installed, so i can see one of the four flexplate wings is resting/pressing on a converter weight.

it looks like if the flexplate or converter were rotated off the TC weight, the wing would line up over one of the TC mounting holes.

i'm wondering:

1) have i damaged something because of the misaligned flexplate?
2) how would you get the flexplate rotated to the correct position without damaging something?

thank you, rob

fy469rtse

Back off the bell housing bolts , just enough to pry a gap,
Now line up your ears to put bolts in,
If that works then redo bolts in bell housing , if it doesn't look like its going to do up
You may not have the torque converter seated in trans properly ,
While have the bolts backed off in bell housing ,
Rotate and try at the same time push back on converter,
A lot harder to do in the car

Evelbist

first, i looked at the "bend" in the flexplate where it rested on the TC weight. really wasnt any "bend", the weights are about 1/8" higher off the TC than the bolt lands. so i assumed that TC was correctly located into the pump housing, but the flexplate was just misaligned. so i installed a TC-flexplate bolt into the one bolt holes that i could see and gently tapped it to try and rotate the TC, and the TC moved. That was a good sign. so i continued to tap the bolt until the TC rotated enough that the flexplate moved off the weight. at that point, the TC rotated easily with a finger, back and forth. so i bolted the TC up as the manual states.

I think the TC is fine, as it rotated easily once the flexplate was off the weight. and there was about a 1/8" gap between the flexplate wing and a bolt land, so i think the TC was correctly installed into the pump housing. i wont know tho till the engine is started in a couple of days.

thanks for the help!