News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock vs Restomod

Started by hollywood1336, January 21, 2015, 01:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cncguy

I'm sure of the benefit of reliability, but do you get better gas mileage with the newer engines, in an old car?

G-man

Quote from: Ghoste on January 24, 2015, 08:53:11 AM
I guess I'm one of those people then but don't worry about not being able to "help" me, I don't need or want it.

It's ok Ghoste,

You were always special  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Now you sound like that court appointed therapist they keep making me see. :pullinghair: :silly:

Mike DC

QuoteI'm sure of the benefit of reliability, but do you get better gas mileage with the newer engines, in an old car?

Depends how far you take the retrofit.  Newer cars have tall axle gearing AND overdrive gears.  Fuel injection too. 

If run a modern 6.1L Hemi retrofitted with carburetor & distributor, an old 727 trans, and a 3.91 axle gear . . .  the mileage is going to suck just like an old motor.

Modern aerodynamic bodywork helps at 70+ mph but it has very little impact at 40-50mph.

MxRacer855

Beautiful car! I'd love to see more of this one.  :2thumbs:  :cheers:

Jeff

hollywood1336

Most of my driving has been locally while I prove out the reliability of my car. I have had it on the freeway for a limited time at 70 mph. With the 3.73 rear axel and 6 speed tremec the engine runs at about 1450 RPM in sixth gear at that speed. Had a short burst up to 90 to overtake someone and it felt rock steady. Once I take it for a longer drive I will give feedback on gas mileage but I'm betting at 70 with that RPM I should see 18-20 on the freeway. I will be very happy with that out of V10 motor.
Round town is a completely different matter!

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 24, 2015, 11:40:43 PM

If run a modern 6.1L Hemi retrofitted with carburetor & distributor, an old 727 trans, and a 3.91 axle gear . . .  the mileage is going to suck just like an old motor.

Why in the world would anyone want to do this though?   I just don't get the appeal.   I'd put a new hemi in a car if it still had all the goods on it (trans, ecu, etc), but putting a carb/dizzy on a newer motor just nerfs all the performance features like varable valve timing, hot ecu, etc. You're taking something new and making it old. - the opposite of cool.   For my money, give me a 440 and put all the new goodies in it - way cooler than saying 'I butchered a 6.1 Hemi'.

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

JB400

I think the term you're looking for is called retro, and yes, it is cool.  We wouldn't have the current Challenger if it wasn't.  There are trade offs for the look of course, as you mention.  It's just a matter of which is more important, looks or performance

Mike DC

QuoteWhy in the world would anyone want to do this though?   I just don't get the appeal.   I'd put a new hemi in a car if it still had all the goods on it (trans, ecu, etc), but putting a carb/dizzy on a newer motor just nerfs all the performance features like varable valve timing, hot ecu, etc. You're taking something new and making it old. - the opposite of cool.   For my money, give me a 440 and put all the new goodies in it - way cooler than saying 'I butchered a 6.1 Hemi'.

Well, I didn't say lots of people would want to do it.  Just making an example. 

RamZCharger

My 6.4 that somehow landed on BangShift . . .

MxRacer855

hollywood1336

very nice, the newer motors look so clean in the Charger engine bay, much cleaner and less cluttered than they look in the cars they came out of. I can get my hands on any part of the motor in my car for maintenance.

el dub

Hollywood, how did you register your car in Calif ? Was it very hard. When you smog it, it's as a v10 or what? Did you have to jump through a lot of hoops? Sweet ride. just curious. thanks
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

hollywood1336

Hey El dub, 73' and older cars are smog exempt, so no smog required. The law used to state that any car over 25 years was smog exempt but still had to retain the original engine and smog equipment as installed from the factory. But 73 and older cars are considered antiques and do not have to be smogged.
Technically, even the pre 73 cars, if fitted with a smog pump are supposed to retain them legally, however, the police never bother with the old muscle cars. I've only ever seen one guy pulled over for noise. If you get down to the small writting, I'm sure I have violated some California law by putting the Viper motor in there, but again, the cops never bother the muscle car guys.
I'm sure in the end though, the Viper motor that's in it now runs cleaner than the 150k 318 that came out of it.

Nacho-RT74

I think there is a middle line between the stock resto amd a resto mod, and is an upgrade resto... Meaning with this, a stock system but upgraded performance parts... Such as ign system, touchs on original engine, better brakes MADE for the stock parts ( drilled/slotted rotors, HiPo pads, but on stock spindles and calipers ) and stuff like that. Replacement parts for the stock assembly.

EVERYTHING able to get it backwards
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

el dub

Quote from: hollywood1336 on February 06, 2015, 04:12:43 PM
Hey El dub, 73' and older cars are smog exempt, so no smog required. The law used to state that any car over 25 years was smog exempt but still had to retain the original engine and smog equipment as installed from the factory. But 73 and older cars are considered antiques and do not have to be smogged.
Technically, even the pre 73 cars, if fitted with a smog pump are supposed to retain them legally, however, the police never bother with the old muscle cars. I've only ever seen one guy pulled over for noise. If you get down to the small writting, I'm sure I have violated some California law by putting the Viper motor in there, but again, the cops never bother the muscle car guys.
I'm sure in the end though, the Viper motor that's in it now runs cleaner than the 150k 318 that came out of it.

:2thumbs:
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

MxRacer855

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 06, 2015, 08:26:38 PM
I think there is a middle line between the stock resto amd a resto mod, and is an upgrade resto... Meaning with this, a stock system but upgraded performance parts... Such as ign system, touchs on original engine, better brakes MADE for the stock parts ( drilled/slotted rotors, HiPo pads, but on stock spindles and calipers ) and stuff like that. Replacement parts for the stock assembly.

EVERYTHING able to get it backwards

I agree!  :2thumbs: I love all 3 options. Mine will be right in the middle. Wilwood brakes/calipers, Reilly Motorsports coil over shocks and 4-link system, power steering and ac (on a non-ps/ac car), and a few other things, but it will still look like a classic Charger on the interior/exterior.

Anyway, great cars guys!  :cheers:

Jeff

Wicked72

Amazing car. I love stock cars but I will never own anything special since it would be a travesty to make it a resto mod. Now my standard 72 charger..Its on and my budget is the limit...oh wait i guess it will be stock to  :smilielol: jk  :D
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

hollywood1336

I my opinion, the Dodge Charger, especially the Gen 2's, inside and out, is one of the most beautiful cars ever built. The lines and styling for the day were way ahead of it's time. Had my car been an RT car, I would have struggled changing anything from stock.
I have included a picture of the interior of my car, my daughter added the skull and X-bones so they may have to go. The carbon fiber came from a company my brother works at. I still have to add the covers on the bottom half of the dash under the carbon fiber, they will just be black. 

TexasStroker

Quote from: hollywood1336 on February 09, 2015, 04:24:06 PM
I my opinion, the Dodge Charger, especially the Gen 2's, inside and out, is one of the most beautiful cars ever built. The lines and styling for the day were way ahead of it's time. Had my car been an RT car, I would have struggled changing anything from stock.
I have included a picture of the interior of my car, my daughter added the skull and X-bones so they may have to go. The carbon fiber came from a company my brother works at. I still have to add the covers on the bottom half of the dash under the carbon fiber, they will just be black. 

Nice...is that a full on custom console, or something you plucked from the aftermarket?
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

hollywood1336

Full custom dash. I could never find anything aftermarket that looked good.

TexasStroker

Quote from: hollywood1336 on February 09, 2015, 11:29:27 PM
Full custom dash. I could never find anything aftermarket that looked good.

Ha, I could tell that...I was actually asking about the center console.  I'm thinking it looks custom too though.

I'm planning on building one up to the lower dash and then extending it forward to house speakers...similar to yours, but a bit bigger. 

Love the car!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Ghoste

hollywood, if your daughter added the skull and crossbones, you CANNOT take it out.  ;)

hollywood1336

Yea, I know Ghoste, that's why it's still there. I went in the house to get a drink and when I came back out into the garage she had put it in. I didn't actually notice it because in cenrtain light it's hard to see. I took it to a small gathering and someone said something about it. My daughter said it looked cool.

chargerperson

Picture of 69 Charger where my 67 is being restored.   They plan to make a restomod including a custom interior and a few minor body modifications: removing the door handles and side marker lights.  I personally would have kept the handles.  Car will likely be similar to mine: 6.4L, RMS suspension, new brakes, etc.  Difference being I am going with original interior, no body modifications