News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass hoods and hood scoops 68-70 Charger

Started by firefighter3931, September 24, 2011, 09:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorwayCharger

Quote from: Patronus on September 25, 2011, 06:50:31 PM
:popcrn:

This is one of my favorites, also the 70 GTX/Roadrunner bulge looks very clean
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Kern Dog

Add me to the list of guys that prefer to leave the hood stock. The scallops in the 68-70 hood are characteristic of the car and adding a scoop detracts from that. Keep in mind that I am in no way a "purist". I like modified cars. Lately I've seen a few Charger roadster type convertibles and I like them.

Fred

Quote from: NorwayCharger on November 26, 2011, 03:05:04 AM
Quote from: Patronus on September 25, 2011, 06:50:31 PM
:popcrn:

This is one of my favorites, also the 70 GTX/Roadrunner bulge looks very clean

That's got to be my favourite too. The scoops don't interfere with the bonnet in any way and actually enhance it.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

b5blue

kamkuda

firefighter3931

Quote from: b5blue on April 15, 2012, 08:16:31 AM
Hey Ron any updates?  :scratchchin:

Quote from: kamkuda on April 22, 2012, 09:57:03 PM
Anything.  I am interested too

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

I never heard back from him...maybe they're not interested in doing something "custom"  :shruggy: 

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cdr

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 23, 2012, 07:19:29 AM
Quote from: b5blue on April 15, 2012, 08:16:31 AM
Hey Ron any updates?  :scratchchin:

Quote from: kamkuda on April 22, 2012, 09:57:03 PM
Anything.  I am interested too

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

I never heard back from him...maybe they're not interested in doing something "custom"  :shruggy: 

Ron
i googled them ,no find them?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

NorwayCharger

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

charge1

I think the six pack hood still looks goot

Kern Dog

Quote from: charge1 on June 01, 2012, 12:45:35 PM
I think the six pack hood still looks goot

Gee... I wonder why..? NOT biased at all, huh?
The car looks clean, and as long as you are happy with it, thats great. I don't see the need for traction bars on a Mopar though.

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: b5blue on September 24, 2011, 02:41:49 PM
One of the "key points" is 70 Charger hood is unique to just that year unlike 68-69. There have been 68-69 hoods but I've never seen anything aftermarket for 70.  :scratchchin:

Yep... it's production numbers more than the 'one-off' factor.   Production of 68/69 was almost 200K units, and the '70 was only about 1/4 of that.  Add in the fact that for some reason the 69 is regarded as 'the pinacle' of Chargerdom, and if you're a manufacturer, you're going to make what sells.      If Dodge had sold 200K of the '70 model Chargers, you can bet there'd be all kinds of repops and aftermarket products for them.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

bakerhillpins

Dredging up an old thread here...  Was diging up pics for wallpaper on my new smart phone and found this little gem. Bottom pic.. I have always been on the fence with hood scoops but every now and then I see something that has me pitching a pup tent.  :icon_smile_big:

Still like this hood too.  :drool5:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

mauve66

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 17, 2013, 06:42:03 PM
Dredging up an old thread here...  Was diging up pics for wallpaper on my new smart phone and found this little gem. Bottom pic.. I have always been on the fence with hood scoops but every now and then I see something that has me pitching a pup tent.  :icon_smile_big:

Still like this hood too.  :drool5:

a little cold to be sleeping outside in a tent.........................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Toretto

Hi. I am wondering if any 1968 Chargers came with scoops originally? Or just racecars?

The reasons I am asking is because my friend has a 68 with a cooling problem when he is driving slow. (Rush-traffic or cruising.)

And I really like the look of a scoop and thinking about putting one on mine  :icon_smile_big:

Toretto.

fy469rtse

cooling issues would be more to  with other things radiator , water pump etc ,
although mine likes the fresh air of a scoop to feed it ,
followed this threadhoping for a result ,
ended up with hemi scoop on mine , satin black with bonnet,
would love to have stock hood , it just wont fit , not even close nada :brickwall:

LUMI

Ghoste

Quote from: Toretto on February 04, 2015, 06:47:16 PM
Hi. I am wondering if any 1968 Chargers came with scoops originally? Or just racecars?

The reasons I am asking is because my friend has a 68 with a cooling problem when he is driving slow. (Rush-traffic or cruising.)

And I really like the look of a scoop and thinking about putting one on mine  :icon_smile_big:

Toretto.

No Chargers from 1966 through 1970 came with a hood scoop from the factory.  It was first offered as an option in 71.  But if look around the site you'll see more than a few examples of ones that folks have added.

timmycharger

Maybe someday Ill put mine back on the car, for now its wall art. Mine was fiberglass, 2 pieces from AAR. bodyman did a great job.

Ghoste

He did at that, in that photo it looks almost factory.

billssuperbird

Any one have 6pack hood scoop for sale :popcrn: I am interested in one.

Toretto

Thank you for your answers   :)

fy469rtse Probably. A better coolingsystem would make the car stay cooler.

Me mentioned the words Nascar, stroker, 440 and racing heads when he talked about the motor. He has a sleeper with a stock hood  :icon_smile_big:

I will ask him what parts he has  ;)

Ghoste

Hmm, if anything I wonder if just adding a scoop to the hood would impede cooling?  If you just add a scoop to fill the engine bay with outside ambient air and not plumb it directly to the carb, would you not just be filling the engine bay with a high pressure zone that makes it a little harder for air to pull through the rad?  At idle it wouldn't of course but the scoop would do little to add cooler air to the underhood.

Toretto

Quote from: Ghoste on February 06, 2015, 08:58:12 AM
Hmm, if anything I wonder if just adding a scoop to the hood would impede cooling?  If you just add a scoop to fill the engine bay with outside ambient air and not plumb it directly to the carb, would you not just be filling the engine bay with a high pressure zone that makes it a little harder for air to pull through the rad?  At idle it wouldn't of course but the scoop would do little to add cooler air to the underhood.

Good point about the scoop empeding cooling  :)

Started a new thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,116265.msg1440315.html#msg1440315

Toretto

Quote from: fy469rtse on February 05, 2015, 12:26:17 AM
cooling issues would be more to  with other things radiator , water pump etc ,
although mine likes the fresh air of a scoop to feed it ,
followed this threadhoping for a result ,
ended up with hemi scoop on mine , satin black with bonnet,
would love to have stock hood , it just wont fit , not even close nada :brickwall:

He has an original 440 stroked to 500.  600 Horsepower. Alu heads (edelbrock) cnc ported. Alu. radiator.
And a 727 with a 3500 rpm stallspeed conv. :)

Started a new thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,116265.msg1440315.html#msg1440315