News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

would this material work for a gasket?

Started by r4daytona, January 16, 2015, 02:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

I had a rear seal leak at the end of summer for some reason - shit happens.  The question I have is with the foam axle shaft gasket.  Since I was bored at work I took the one that came off the car, scanned it into the computer and re-drew it with AutoCAD - then I converted it to a format that was compatible with my laser.  I cut one out of plastic as a test piece and it fit my car perfect - bolt holes lined up, the flat part on the top was perfect and the center hole was perfect.  So I was just wondering if I could cut them out of cork or paper gasket material or do I need to use the foam? I have an axle from a 71 c body that I'm trying to sell so I looked at those gaskets and they are foam as well - so one would assume foam is needed.  However, a local parts store and Rock Auto have them but in paper.  Is foam needed to seal the shaft better since the flange is stamped steel and the foam will seal better against any waviness in the steel?

6spd68

If you have the time to play, try it out with the different materials, and see which one works  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

John_Kunkel

The foam gasket is just a dust seal, any gasket material will work or use RTV as many do.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RJS

Quote from: r4daytona on January 16, 2015, 02:51:47 PM
I had a rear seal leak at the end of summer for some reason - shit happens.  The question I have is with the foam axle shaft gasket.  Since I was bored at work I took the one that came off the car, scanned it into the computer and re-drew it with AutoCAD - then I converted it to a format that was compatible with my laser.  I cut one out of plastic as a test piece and it fit my car perfect - bolt holes lined up, the flat part on the top was perfect and the center hole was perfect.  So I was just wondering if I could cut them out of cork or paper gasket material or do I need to use the foam? I have an axle from a 71 c body that I'm trying to sell so I looked at those gaskets and they are foam as well - so one would assume foam is needed.  However, a local parts store and Rock Auto have them but in paper.  Is foam needed to seal the shaft better since the flange is stamped steel and the foam will seal better against any waviness in the steel?
I'll assume your having an axle leaking onto the brakes since your speaking of the foam gaskets. If that is the case you need to put a new axle seal into the housing, that is what keeps rear oil from leaking out onto the bearing and then onto the brakes.
Ron