News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I know its not a charger :) 71 Cuda question for a friend

Started by Dave27, January 20, 2015, 12:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave27

My friend is picking up a 71 Grand sport baracuda. Its half restored, rebuilt 318 engine and auto trans is rebuilt and in it as well. Since its not a hemi cuda or a 440 6pack cuda which do you guys think is the most prosperous way to restore it. All stock numbers matching grand sport as it is now,get rid of the overhead console,etc and make it numbers matching with the 318 engine but make it look like the Cuda, or pull the engine back out throw it on a stand and save it for a potential future owner and do it up as a 440 6 pack cuda.....I'm a 68 Charger guy myself ;) Thankyou in adavance.

Cncguy

I would keep it a small block maybe 340 and leave it a Grande sport, not to many of those around any more.

6bblgt

got any pics of the Grand Sport emblems?   ::)   is it a Chevy or Buick?

GRAN COUPE

Dave27

LOL....sorry Grand Coupe I'm still learning I have a 68 and a 67 Charger but have only been doing mopars for about a year. Everything I know is from working on mine,or from a mopar friend, or reading :)

tan top

keep it looking stock  ,  &  put a stroker small block under the hood with a 4 speed  , with suspension  mods to make it handle :yesnod:  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

fy469rtse

tell your friend, i know one over here in australia ,
the guy converted it to a cuda,
ruined its value
grand sport more valuable, did not make many , low numbers, read grand sport more options , rear window plug etc

F8-4life

Quote from: Cncguy on January 20, 2015, 01:29:27 PM
I would keep it a small block maybe 340 and leave it a Grande sport, not to many of those around any more.

I'm with this.

Mopar Nut

I would keep it a Grand Coupe and install a 440 six barrel (Plymouths term).
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

JB400

Enjoy it for what it is.  There are plenty of Cuda clones out there.

Dave27

Bronzedodge

Not alot of Grand Coupes out there.  Keep the overhead console.  Swap the 318 for a Indy 360 or 408, put 15's and suspension on it.  Fill the 318 w/ oil for the next owner.
Mopar forever!

Homerr

Quote from: Bronzedodge on January 23, 2015, 07:40:26 AM
Not alot of Grand Coupes out there.  Keep the overhead console.  Swap the 318 for a Indy 360 or 408, put 15's and suspension on it.  Fill the 318 w/ oil for the next owner.

:iagree:

Ghoste

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Homerr on January 23, 2015, 11:10:38 AM
Quote from: Bronzedodge on January 23, 2015, 07:40:26 AM

IMHO there are too many 'clones', 'tributes' and 'fake stripe and badge' cars already.

The world needs great examples of Grand Coupes. Keep the core essence and trim of the car. Upgrade to a 340/360 if you think it's really necessary.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Dave27

Wow we saw the overhead cosol didnt look like there was much to it.The guy had allready removed it and set it on the shelf but it could easily be put back in.

myk

Tell him to put whatever he wants to in it.  His car, his project, his money...

TUFCAT

Door panels are unique also. I'm on board with leaving it alone. Take the original 318 and add a 4bbl, do some head work, cam, etc and wake it up a bit.  You'll have a nice performing 318 car with matching numbers and value. My two cents.  Good luck!

Old Moparz

Since the drive train is already rebuilt I would just leave that alone & finish the car. As for saving the original motor on a stand, I seriously doubt there will be any difference in the car's value. It's a 318, there can't possibly be that many people willing to pay a premium for an original 318 set up. The '71 Barracuda I had was an original 318 car that had a 400 transplanted into it. To me, having the big block set up was more appealing than if it had the small block whether it was original or not.

Any '71 will be a sought after car so as long as you don't have more money into it than it's worth, you will be ahead. I remember the first time I saw one with the overhead console. I thought it great even though it was just idiot lights, & more for appearance than function. The trim is different & has to be hard to find so if it's all there & nice, that's cool. If it were mine & it needed fenders, I'd have to have the fender gills whether they are correct or not.

My taste, or as some may say, lack of....lol....is to not get caught up in what's correct or factory. I like certain features from different models & have never hesitated to add or delete things from my cars. I know I am not alone because there are way more modified cars than bone stock ones running around.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Stegs

Quote from: myk on January 23, 2015, 02:58:04 PM
Tell him to put whatever he wants to in it.  His car, his project, his money...

agree 100%, his car, let him decide

My opinion, do a little 408 stroker motor....I love idea of a pro touring car, good suspension, brakes etc....

to each his own....