News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Fuel tank removal, any pre-advice before I remove it

Started by WH23G3G, January 25, 2007, 12:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've read the instructions for gas tank removal on my 73, it seems pretty straight forward. Mine is rusted and covered in GA red clay and the lines have been spliced into with another inline filter, so I'm going to replace the tank and add new lines. My Charger is backed in to my garage there's not much room to do much standing up behind it. I'm able to remove the rear bumper and all the trim at least, so if I have to do anything standing behind the car I might be able to. Is it going to be worse than the transmission removal? Is it as heavy? My concern is the overflow limiting valve hoses, are those going to be a pain to reach up and remove and replace? Mine was a 318 Charger now a 400-4, should I be using the 5/16 or 3/8 fuel sending unit? Do you usually have to replace the straps? I just wanted to get some pointers before I get to it. It's coming soon. My plan is to have all the misc. systems and accessories replaced, rebuilt, painted, and put on, so that it's only waiting for an engine and transmission to be dropped in.

Nacho-RT74

piece of cake

replace the straps... No

Heavy... completely emptied, No

Remember remove the filler tube first.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

RD

Quote from: WH23G3G on January 25, 2007, 12:05:03 AM
I've read the instructions for gas tank removal on my 73, it seems pretty straight forward. Mine is rusted and covered in GA red clay and the lines have been spliced into with another inline filter, so I'm going to replace the tank and add new lines. My Charger is backed in to my garage there's not much room to do much standing up behind it. I'm able to remove the rear bumper and all the trim at least, so if I have to do anything standing behind the car I might be able to. Is it going to be worse than the transmission removal? Is it as heavy? My concern is the overflow limiting valve hoses, are those going to be a pain to reach up and remove and replace? Mine was a 318 Charger now a 400-4, should I be using the 5/16 or 3/8 fuel sending unit? Do you usually have to replace the straps? I just wanted to get some pointers before I get to it. It's coming soon. My plan is to have all the misc. systems and accessories replaced, rebuilt, painted, and put on, so that it's only waiting for an engine and transmission to be dropped in.

the nitty gritty straightforward approach:

1) remove all fuel if possible
2) unhook sending unit lead wire and disconnect return line and fuel line
3) undo all 4 vent lines from front of tank up by upper shock mounts
4) remove inlet pipe from tank by loosening screw from inside trunk
5) put jack with a 12 x 12" piece of plywood on it under gas tank
6) loosen two J bolt nuts
7) lower tank down from car

advice, get a new tank pad that goes in between tank and frame
cut those vent hoses in front and just replace them, they are easy to get to
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger1973

Just disconnect (or you can cut them if you are replacing them all anyway) all the fuel and vapor lines and I think theres 1 wire to take off as well.  Unbolt the filler neck and it will pull right out of the tank.  Then work the bolts loose on the gas tank straps.  Its really easy, and as long as you drain the tank, its not heavy at all. 

41husk

They will be hard to cut if you don't loosen first.  If you are replacing the tank as well you can be less carefull,  Don't use a grinder on your gas tank :o
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

texas charger 73

I just removed mine  yesterday and had my wife help. Took about 10 mins.  Took longer to set up jack.
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
8.25 with 3:55
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic