News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First Year for Electronic Ignition in Mopars?

Started by shawnmd, March 25, 2006, 08:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnmd

What was the first year that mopar offered electronic ignition in their cars??specifically their muscle cars?

my69

I'll take a stab at this BUT more than likley I'll be wrong.   How about late 1970?  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ghoste

1972.  1970 saw the introduction of electronic voltage regulators.  Transistorized ignition was used beginning around 64 or 65 in race Mopars but it was still triggered by points.

my69

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

y3chargerrt

I thought I remember reading that some very late 1971 340's got  electronic ignition. I may be wrong but thought I read it somewhere.

owatajrkiam

Yes you are totally right,in late 71,the 340,s were outfitted with the elec ign.In 72 it was accross the board.My 71 340 4spd duster had the dual point setup,and i thought that was high tech at the time.It,s been 35 yrs now and most of the dodges we see at most events are still running this system and its very reliable,cheap and easy to retrofit on any old mopar that originaly came with points. ::)

twilt

EI was optional in 72, standard in 73. 1 of my 72`s has points, the other two have EI.

TruckDriver

According to my info also, the EI was not a standard option on the 2bbl cars, only the 4bbls. Although, my 400 2bbl car did have EI as it is on the fender tag. Someone took it of for a point type sometime in its life, so I am in the process of replacing it with a new one now.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Chryco Psycho

71charger_fan

I found it amusing that our '78 Challenger, built by Mitsubishi, still had points. It seemed to me the Japanese were lagging behind in one very important area at that time.

66ragtop

1971 340s had is an optional, also I know of one 1971 Hemi challenger with electrocnic, it's a one owner car.
Need Beer!  66 coronet 440 convertible, 99 ram 2500 cummins, 99 plymouth breeze, Dog (Bree) Ameri-Camp 32 ft. travel trailer (hence cummins)

Ghoste

Electronic ignition or electronic regulator?