News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another 440-6 differences only external

Started by oldcarnut, January 19, 2015, 02:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Couldn't find on a search as most were eng. internally questions.  When changing over to a 440-6 bbl setup to an originally equipped 4 bbl equipped (for me 383 70 RR), what else is needed to complete the swap? cables, linkages, downshift linkages?  Are the existing 4 bbl cables and linkages usable or easily modified or do I need to start searching for 6 bbl specific only stuff?

b5blue

Idle solenoid, Carter M4845 fuel pump (high volume low pressure) and only a 3 speed wiper clears the air cleaner base unless you notch it like I did. The other stuff is fuel lines/vapor separator and they make a special 6BBL throttle cable but I just used the standard 2&4 BBL one.   

oldcarnut

Quote from: b5blue on January 19, 2015, 03:49:03 PM
Idle solenoid, Carter M4845 fuel pump (high volume low pressure) and only a 3 speed wiper clears the air cleaner base unless you notch it like I did. The other stuff is fuel lines/vapor separator and they make a special 6BBL throttle cable but I just used the standard 2&4 BBL one.   
Thanks  :cheers:  I have the 3spd wiper already. Glad to hear I can use the existing throttle.  I was concerned that I also had to use a different kick down for the automatic tranny.

b5blue

When I bought my 70 Charger the 440 had a TM-7 High Rise intake. When I bought the Six Pack the guy gave me kick down with the set. (We kinda horse traded a bunch of parts back and forth.) So THAT may be something to check on, 383 is lower block so the rod after the pivot would be lower than 440 and 6BBL may use the longer 2BBL (?) carb. lever slotted engagement rod?  :scratchchin:
  Now you have me thinking.....soon I'm converting to a 4BBL and CHB-4 intake. (I'm running a 727 also.)

oldcarnut

Are ya giving up the 6 for a 4?  Why the change?

b5blue

I just had the 727 overhauled back close to factory spec. (tighter) and getting ready for A/C install from Classic Auto Air. After 19 years of "having fun" it's time to just do some cruising. The 6BBL has always been a reliable performer but kinda wasted on an A/C car for daily driving/road trips. (Hopefully LONG trips!)  :lol:
  The car (70 Charger) was a drag race only car for about 8 years when I bought it. (From my buddy's Transmission shop.) Over the years I slowly converted back to 70 spec. from "drag race". As the car grew to be part of the family I recently realized my 3 kids A: can't handle a WFO 6BBL and B: would be clueless fixing/tuning a 6BBL. (Even in their 20's none have even a car yet, they just don't need one.)
  You'll see, six packs are like 6 barrels of monkeys not just "A Barrel of monkeys" but they draw attention like mad. Lift the hood, I gotta see this! OH Man take the air cleaner off I can't SEE IT! Everybody LOVES them! (Rightly so!) I wore out a set of hood hinges (They were not in very good shape when I got the car.) being polite and showing it and even punched holes in my hood to install hood locks to keep the hood closed. (Even when the car looked like rusty hammered crap.)  :2thumbs:

oldcarnut

You sound like me in the same heading direction I want to take my bird clone.  The guy that used to be one of the tranny guros on the forum rebuilt my tranny but sported it up some and another member restored the carbs..  I never had a 6 before or been driving in one but I hope to do a lot of just cruising long and short distance and I'm adding the ac also. I have custom ideas in my head about a see-through breather for down the road.

Ghoste

I usually keep the hood closed on mine just because of that.  I think it would drive me nuts if I had a GL and had to fend off all the "blow the horn, where's Daisy, can I slide on the hood, will you do a sweet jump, can I jump in through the window" crap.

b5blue

After 19 years with the old tranny set-up, loose and slamming I'm still not use to the way it should be.  :lol: I like it but have the 6BBL still kinda adjusted to the old tranny's high stall/hard shift. I put a new Mopar 145K T.C. and added a Winters Sidewinder Sifter between the seats.
  Oh God, 19 years of orange paint and rebel horn comments for a 70....so wrong. I started telling folks with Duke remarks "This Charger is Gen. GRANT....he kicked Lee's ASS!