News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

COOL INFO ON DAYTONA BREAKING 200MPH

Started by daytonalo, January 24, 2015, 03:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

histoy

Thanks for posting the article.  I thought that it was very informative.

taxspeaker

Great article, thanks for posting. I saw Charlie Glotzbach when I took my Bird to a car show this summer in our town-he lives here, but I do not know him. He is still a legend to anyone who knows this history.

odcics2

Keep in mind that the top speed at Chelsea was 203 mph with the "small Holley" carb.    Any other numbers were not physically possible.    :Twocents:   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69DAYTONASE

Nuts......I thought this was an article about my car!  :shruggy:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

odcics2

Montreal Wing Car

A bit easier to achieve nowadays... Nice that a Charger (albeit one with two many doors...) is still King of the Top Speed Hill...
http://youtu.be/q7eZ_qlDf40

Ben

daytonalo

This only makes what the Daytona did extra special .
Daytona , no super charger , smaller track , crappy tires
I would get confused as to what door to get in !!

odcics2

Quote from: daytonalo on January 27, 2015, 02:41:20 PM

On a larger track, like the 10 mile oval the Hellcat was on, I feel the #88 would beat the 204 lap easily.
It ran over 202.xxx into turn 3.  And, "only" had 585 HP !  (per Larry Rathgeb, from the Supercars book)   

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on January 28, 2015, 05:23:30 AM
Quote from: daytonalo on January 27, 2015, 02:41:20 PM

On a larger track, like the 10 mile oval the Hellcat was on, I feel the #88 would beat the 204 lap easily.
It ran over 202.xxx into turn 3.  And, "only" had 585 HP !  (per Larry Rathgeb, from the Supercars book)   

With larger corner radii, a 10 mile oval is almost like going straight.    Remember how the '66 Charger did not need a rear spoiler until they got to Daytona.   When they tested at the big Goodyear ovel in San Angelo, the problem did not appear.   

Ghoste

Out of curiousity, how banked was the Goodyear oval compared to Daytona compared to this ten miler?

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on January 28, 2015, 10:12:16 AM
Out of curiousity, how banked was the Goodyear oval compared to Daytona compared to this ten miler?

San Angelo is five miles,  low banked  compared to Daytona or Talladega.   If these guys are standing up and working, it is not very steep.    

It is a circular layout.  I believe you could run it with your hands off the wheel.   Like an infinite straightaway.  

Ghoste

Okay.  That makes sense too I suppose since its purpose was to test tires under a constant load for extended periods.  You wouldn't want a lot of changing side loads or imbalance side to side in the car or even a lot of changes in driver input.  Just an infinite straightaway. :2thumbs: