News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

(Speculation) Who's gonna buy our Chargers in 20 years?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, January 18, 2015, 11:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Along the same lines as the original subject, In 20 years, will automatics be worth more than four speeds? Us old farts might not be able to push the clutches in when we are in our 70's and 80's.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

dual fours

We probably won't be able to see over the dash either.
On the other hand it will be easy to find in a shopping center parking lot, it will be the only car taking up four places,
not cus we can't park, that's how small the places will be in twenty years. :rofl:
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Ghoste

That's what Centerforce clutches with hydraulic slave cylinders and booster seats are for.  :2thumbs:

G-man

Quote from: 500Jon on January 20, 2015, 06:56:54 AM
Maybe the 'Collecting Bug' is dying out?

Technology has changed peoples attitudes to material things?

WHY HAVE REALITY, WHEN YOU CAN HAVE INSTANT SATISFACTION, IN A VIRTUAL WORLD!!! :popcrn:

Create the perfect wife and home, have a hemi-car in the garage, that costs nothing to run and maintain...
Drive 150mph through the Streets of your BiG CITY, no-one gets hurt or killed and when you wipe out on the Freeway, it don't matter!

PRESS START and do it all again........................... :drive: :drive: :drive:

Sounds like Fast and Furious... I wish we could.  :(

Mike DC

QuoteAlong the same lines as the original subject, In 20 years, will automatics be worth more than four speeds? Us old farts might not be able to push the clutches in when we are in our 70's and 80's.

The older generations aren't the ones abandoning the clutch pedal.

Challenger340

Go to a few car shows, etc., pretty much sums up the answer for me anyways ? as to "who" will still be buying these cars in 20 years ?
NOT MANY !
Or at least, not the same demand as today, because it's a "dead mans" Car Class.  The older guys who "grew up" with these cars.

Most car shows, shine-n-shines that I've been to.... predominantly 50-55+ year old guys with these cars.
Sure there are some younger, but all I am saying is I believe the vast "majority" are older guys, both as Owners and those that appreciate them the most ?  that will invariably kick off within 20 years, lessening demand..... hence my answer ?

Same as the Barret Jackson clowns ?
Who will be buying THOSE cars in another 20 years, once most of those old farts responsible for the stupid prices kick off ?
Sure there will still be "demand" for them, I just think the "peak" is getting close and bound to subside.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

stripedelete

Take a look at boating and you may see the future.   The meat of the baby boom is getting out of boating right now. But, there's no one there to buy them.   The youngsters are 50+.  Younger than that, they're buying Kayaks.

Is it apples to apples with muscle cars?  Maybe not.  But, it's not apples to oranges either.

Patronus

I figure that within 20 years there will be a CME and no one will be able to drive anything. Thats when I dig up my lil' orange box in the ground. You will hear it before you see it... black, moving fast...

Hey, a feller and dream cant he?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

70 sublime

But is it all the older guys that want these cars (now anyways) or is it the older guys that now have enough money to play with because all the kids are gone and we have enough extra spending cash as these Chargers are not cheap ???????

Be honest the next time you go to a cruise or car show just look around and the more $$$ cars are the guys with the grey hair (if any alt all  ;) )

The Chargers that are out there now are not going to disapear and I hope they will still have more interest than an 1986 Daytona in 20 years  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

don duick

is this the equivalent of who is buying a 1950 model car , today ?

polywideblock

if you do it right and take them to the shows /cruises it will be the grand kids that end up being the ones that want grandads car  :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

1974dodgecharger

In 30 years I cant wait to restore a 07 prius......its gonna be badass and plan to mod it to get 120mpg.  :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 22, 2015, 05:10:55 AM
In 30 years I cant wait to restore a 07 prius......its gonna be badass and plan to mod it to get 120mpg.  :2thumbs:

MPG of what?    :scratchchin:  The 'gas' is so bad now....who knows what kind of squirrel piss the fuel will be like two decades from now.    :-\

Drive the wheels off now!    :yesnod:

MoParJW

Like others have said... why would you go through all the trouble of acquiring and maintaining an old car, if you can ''experience'' all the pro's and none of the cons online.
Besides, if you want to get some real kicks, you just take a cheap little pill and have the time of your life.
This may sound a bit pessimistic, but it is what a lot of the kids do these days, it is considered normal (around here anyway).

But I do think there will always be a group of people who will keep these cars (or at least the more desireable models) on the road, as long as there is still some type of fuel available to run them.
The main reason I think is that muscle car era cars styling is just plain awesome, a work of art, and good art never gets old  :coolgleamA:.
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

Ghoste

But does good art eventually just get parked in a climate controlled display room with big access doors?  I can't remember seeing many Duesenbergs or Hispano-Suizas on the road anymore.

MoParJW

Good point.

Personally I think people will keep wanting to drive a car like a Charger instead of putting it in a museum, because it also has a certain cool factor.
It probably isn't going to change unless the appearance of modern cars changes drastically, and make the charger look outdated, like the Duesenberg nowadays.
I mean, a Duesenberg is still cool in a way, but you wouldn't cruise it down the boulevard to pick up chicks right? :icon_smile_big:

Another example, of an old car which is still cool today IMO and would be fun to drive around in, is a WW2 Willys jeep.
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

dual fours

Quote from: MoParJW on January 24, 2015, 07:10:48 AM
Good point.

Personally I think people will keep wanting to drive a car like a Charger instead of putting it in a museum, because it also has a certain cool factor.
It probably isn't going to change unless the appearance of modern cars changes drastically, and make the charger look outdated, like the Duesenberg nowadays.
I mean, a Duesenberg is still cool in a way, but you wouldn't cruise it down the boulevard to pick up chicks right? :icon_smile_big:

Another example, of an old car which is still cool today IMO and would be fun to drive around in, is a WW2 Willys jeep.
Now where is that cute boy in that Duesenberg when you want him? :lol:
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Aero426

Quote from: MoParJW on January 24, 2015, 07:10:48 AM

Here's a drag race with two.   The driver in the near lane is a Mopar guy.  He's a younger owner too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-oYA5zYVOw

The70RT

Since the muscle car era was pretty much the last cool collector car era I think they will always be sought after cars. Some of the newer cars now are cool but I'm not sure if these will be looked at as our collector cars are looked at today
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

They thought the same thing about musclecars until the 90's.  Thats why so many were trashed and left in the swamp to die, they were just old cars no one wanted.