News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keeping those satin black tail panels clean

Started by Ghoste, September 20, 2014, 08:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Whats the most common way you all are cleaning your 2nd gen tail panels?  Is there any sort of protectant you can use on them?

mopar2

I use a car duster "everytime" I put my car up.

Ghoste

I do that but sometimes there is more than a duster can take off.  I use a lot of spray detailer in there but it would be nice if there were a better way.

mopar2

I agree I have washed  my car twice in 6 years and  :icon_smile_angry: HATED  to do it.  Spray detailer, dust and cover. I'm watching hopping someone has a better way.  :2thumbs: :popcrn:

twodko

I too wash my car only once a year and gently at that. Then it's top to bottom detail
followed by a light carnauba liquid hand wax/hand buff.
Car duster followed by my car cover the rest of the time.
I use spray detainer as well but sparingly and never on the tail panel.

If I needed to clean the tail panel beyond just getting the dust off I'd use a very mild dish
soap solution....very mild. Light wash and wipe dry. Should be go to go.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Patronus

I really like Wizards brand detail spray so I've been using their matte detail spray, works pretty well.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Charger-Bodie

Compressed air. Duster. Spray detailer.or the dreaded wash (although I don't like dish soap instead I use car wash soap) As a last resort.

It does suck to clean this area though. Exhaust haze builds up pretty good there. It just foils there really bad.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

twodko

Yep, car wash soap. My bad......dish soap has strong degreasers in it.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

Mike DC

Satin black? 

The factory textured paint was pretty darn flat. 

It was about as flat as they could get it without causing the cleaning problems of totally flat paint. 

Ghoste

Technicality.  The point is that it isn't gloss paint and its harder than hell to keep clean.  You can call William Morris the Third black for all I care, you still can't wax it.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

mopar2

I've spray waxed mine as well. May be slightly glossy but still look flat enough against the rest of the car.

Cooter

Contrary to popular belief,  hand rubbing flat paint makes it 'glossy' eventually by proxy.
unless you have a uber gentle touch, it will have a sheen from wiping.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mopar2

Lord Warlock

I used organisol on my tail panel and v21 treatment, and I have found using pledge furniture polish works fantastic on it, just spray and wipe, even if you get polish on the black while buffing the paint next to it, Lemon Pledge works great.  Best thing is that you can usually swipe it from the wife's supply cabinet and she'll never know. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

Thats an interesting tip I wouldn't have thought of.  What does the Pledge do to it as far as sheen?

Lord Warlock

Leaves it satin or flat looking, just cleans off all the dirt or polish.  I was polishing the hood today and in the process sprayed the hood indentations with polish, I let it dry, then used pledge to clean it off (only did one side so far). 
But I asked the same question on how to clean organisol hoods such as the six pack and AAR hoods and was told about pledge on this site, and tried it out and it worked great.  Try it out, I think you'll be surprised. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Charger-Bodie

I've used pledge on tires before and it works pretty well ,but I've never tried it on paint .good idea.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Lord Warlock

I keep a can of it in the garage at all times now.  Wife keeps blaming the daughter (who is off at college) of swiping things when she comes home to visit.  I let her believe its her because the daughter gives me grief on way too much other stuff.  I haven't tried pledge on the tires...now I get to try something new.

Chargen69

mpd659

I haven't finished my 68 Hemi Charger yet, but I have debated using the original organisol black and then spaying a flat clear coat over it, which would make it easy to clean and the black would still look original.

Russ

lukedukem

I might be ordering this stuff ( and its on discount)
http://www.chemicalguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SPI_995_16&Click=18676&utm_source=Social&utm_medium=YouTube&utm_campaign=SPI_995_16

but The car wash bottle because my whole car is matte black. Here's a video of the product on YouTube

http://youtu.be/ARFTEEPDdeI

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC