News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine swaps!

Started by 08Chargerv6*, January 12, 2015, 06:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was wondering if you guys would help me figure out the best thing to do with my 08 charger?  it has a  2.7 engine and i would like to know what would be the best engine for it? and why?  I'm a new user and I would really like to know what you think?

Would transmission from 2.7 fit the 3.5?
0 (0%)
What are the things I would need for the swap(2.7 to 3.5)?
0 (0%)
swap it for the same engine (2.7) but less miles?
0 (0%)
swap it for the 3.5 hemi?
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Ghoste

What are your plans for the car?  (useage that is)

08Chargerv6*

I'm keeping the car I gave it to my wife when we got married!  And I just wanna do something good with it but I wanna get more info on the engines that would fit it! :scratchchin:

twodko

In as much as this forum is geared toward 1, 2 & 3rd gen
Chargers you would be better served exploring a forum geared
toward the current Charger sedans about all the swaps
possible with them.   :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

jaak

On the Dodge Intrepid forum, There is a guy that has wrote a manual on replacing a 2.7 in an Intrepid with a 3.5 engine, telling the parts you need and such. I am sure it is different in a Charger, but it could probably be done to. The guy that wrote the manual has worked at a Dodge dealership for years as a tech. I can't remember his name, but maybe you can start your search there, maybe he can help.

Good luck,
Jason

ACUDANUT

Never heard of a 3.5 Hemi. 
Buy a new Challenger Hellcat or a 6.1 Hemi.

wingcar

From a cost stand point, it might cost less just to trade it in on something better suited to what you are looking for.  Just a thought.....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: jaak on January 12, 2015, 02:32:54 PM
On the Dodge Intrepid forum, There is a guy that has wrote a manual on replacing a 2.7 in an Intrepid with a 3.5 engine, telling the parts you need and such. I am sure it is different in a Charger, but it could probably be done to. The guy that wrote the manual has worked at a Dodge dealership for years as a tech. I can't remember his name, but maybe you can start your search there, maybe he can help.

Good luck,
Jason

I'm surprised that there's enough Intrepids left to support a forum? Those things got to be dying off faster than WWII vets.

(No disrespect to WWII vets of course)

jaak

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 12, 2015, 04:28:20 PM
Quote from: jaak on January 12, 2015, 02:32:54 PM

Good luck,
Jason

I'm surprised that there's enough Intrepids left to support a forum? Those things got to be dying off faster than WWII vets.

(No disrespect to WWII vets of course)

No kidding. I used to own an Intrepid back a few years ago, was searching around for wiring diagrams and found a forum for Intrepids...surprised me, lot of posts/info there. There are forums for everything It seems like.

Jason

08Chargerv6*

Thanks everyone for yalls help! Even though I'm still a little confused! I was talking about the 2.7 chargers have on base model and the 3.5 hemi that's on the sxt charger! I know motor mounts for engine are the same but everything else I'm not too sure!

garner7555

Unless I'm badly mistaken, the smallest hemi offered is the 5.7L.  When I was in the car business I would buy and sell these things and I've never seen the 3.5L refered to as a hemi.   :shruggy:   Not trying to be disrespectful but swapping in a different engine is only going to be a money loosing experience and will NOT improve the value of the car.   :Twocents:  Unless your current engine is shot, I think I would just leave well enough alone.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dreamcar

There's no such thing as a 3.5 Hemi...I think it's the 3.5 "High Output". A simple Google or Wikipedia search will confirm this if you don't believe me.

I honestly would not go about swapping the 2.7 for the 3.5. Given the amount of work, I'd just trade the car for one with the engine you want.   
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

lukedukem

Quote from: Dreamcar on January 13, 2015, 08:37:45 AM
There's no such thing as a 3.5 Hemi...I think it's the 3.5 "High Output". A simple Google or Wikipedia search will confirm this if you don't believe me.

I honestly would not go about swapping the 2.7 for the 3.5. Given the amount of work, I'd just trade the car for one with the engine you want.   

from an LX forum:

Look, realistically, you could probably do a 5.7 swap for ABOUT the same cost as the 3.5--so the choice will be 100% yours. I know someone's going to lay down an estimate that says 1 is more expensive than the other but in the grand scheme of things, we're probably separated by a couple hundred bucks. When you're spending around $5000-$6000, does $500 really matter? if $500 is a deal breaker, you may not want to get into any motor swap or any kind.

Swapping a motor is a difficult job--getting it to run right is! Pulling one out and putting one in takes a little manual labor and a good amount of time to physically remove and reinstall. However, making sure you've got all the connections right, tuning issues, compatibility with components and all that is what takes the most time. Your PCM is going to need to be reflashed, You're going to need the motor, of course, and you're going to need to verify that the motor is in good condition with ALL associated parts--bolts, nuts, gaskets, hoses, filters, fluids, sensors, connectors, etc. What kind of condition is your transmission if it will work? Little things will nickel-and-dime you do death so take a hint from home improvement: figure out your budget for what YOU think it should take (with advice from others) and add 10-15% on top of that.
Obviously, an engine lift is a must.

A vehicle lift in a shop bay would be nice, but jack stands in a garage will work--I wouldn't want to do it in an uncovered driveway, but that's just me. A good set of wrenches and basic hand tools and an engine lift are a must. If you have a dedicated shop with a vehicle lift and an air compressor and all that, life will be nice. If you have jack stands and a garage, life won't suck. If you're doing it in an uncovered driveway with 2x4's supporting the car, you may want to reconsider.

I'm not trying to tell you NOT to do it, just letting you know it's a BIG job. in the end i think the 3.5 will only be 50-60 hp more that the one you have.
good luck

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

CDN72SE

Still have my 01' Intrepd R/T and http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/ has been very helpful.
There are a few threads regarding engine changes/swaps as was mentioned earlier.
1972 Charger SE

Troy

I have a "swapped" motor in several of my cars. None a newer Dodge though. I can tell you right now that it isn't likely worth it unless you are a masochist. Dodge sucks balls when it comes to the wiring required to make a newer engine work and there's almost zero support (and the newest one I've even tackled was an 02 Magnum which is caveman simple compared to anything later). Once you get to 08 most cars are fully integrated with the transmission (so you have to swap them as a set) and many have security features that require the dash (or at least gauges) as well.

Even on vehicles where I have a parts list and a "how to" manual the costs and amount of labor are astounding. Sell it and buy what you actually want. It's a 6 year old used car that's already taken a giant depreciation hit (both yours and what you'd like to buy). If you aren't an "expert" your final product will be worth a fraction of its current value if you ever do decide to sell whereas a different car will be worth approximately what you paid for it. For any swap of this magnitude you're best bet is a complete donor car so you're going to be buying a vehicle any way. Might as well save yourself a TON of time and buy one ready to go.

And no, Hemi starts at 5.7 (at least the branding).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

Intrepid= turd
2.7= massive turd
3.5 swapped Intrepid= polished turd

Sorry.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

I agree that your best bet would be to find another car with the 3.5 in it.  However, if this isn't an option, your 2nd best bet would be to find another Charger that was wrecked with the engine of your choice, and start swapping engines, trans, and wiring/ computer.  But, I wouldn't go through that hassle when other Chargers are available with better engines for the same money.

jaak

Quote from: Cooter on January 17, 2015, 11:19:23 PM
Intrepid= turd
2.7= massive turd
3.5 swapped Intrepid= polished turd

Sorry.

LOL, true that.

Jason