News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What was your first car? What happened to it?

Started by 66FBCharger, January 13, 2015, 08:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

As the subject says, What was your first car? How long did you keep it? What did you do with it (sell it, junk it, still have it?)?
I'll start. My first car is a '70 road runner coupe, 440+6, 4 speed. I bought it Junior year of high school when I was 16 years old. I still have the car. It has had a full rotisserie resto. I just recently started reassembly again after it sat for a long period of time.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Shakey

1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - paid $1000.00 for it on my 16th birthday (1985) and drove it for 2 years and sold it for $2,600.00 which I put towards a 1985 Dodge Daytona.

The attached photos (found on the www) are what it looked like (colour & top) only I had the Olds Rallye wheels & Goodyear Eagle ST's which made it look cool!   :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

72 Ford Cortina, it was scrapped and replaced by a 72 Ford Ranchero which was totalled.

6spd68

1988 Ford Thunderbird (early November 2003, 18 years old).  It was a base model 3.8L, which I swapped in a junker 5.0.  The car was stolen from the body shop where I had it painted.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

70 sublime

My first car was when I was 16 was in 1981 and was a 73 Mercury Capri
Got the car from the local wrecking yard , was the head mechanics car for $800
In the fall of 81 coming home from town one evening (we live in the country) I rolled it over  ::)
There was some black ice on the road and maybe I was screwing around a little too much and it got away from me
Tow truck brought it home and it sat behind the barn for a while till someone bought it for the motor

(72 Ford Cortina, it was scrapped and replaced by a 72 Ford Ranchero which was totalled. )
(we also had an old Cortina around that time for getting the cows from the field with  :2thumbs:)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

myk

First car was a '69 Charger.  It now resides in my avatar and 'sig space on dodgecharger.com...

Dino

'68 Charger, burnt out in my garage when I was at work.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger74

First car was a 73 Charger SE.  Got it Christmas break of 87-88 school year from two houses down from me.  Was the 3rd owner.  First owner was a local cop who bought in the midwest and drove it to Arizona shortly afterward.   Speedo cable broke one day on wife and something about gas pedal stuck as well, she freaked out and they sold the car.  Guy from Kuwait bought from lot and I picked it up from him.   Drove that thing for years and years.  Parked it before I moved to Oregon and then drove it again in the early 2000s for about a year or so when I repo'ed a truck from an ex-girlfriend.   

Had to sell it last year finally (sad day for me). Went to some GM dude who thought he could rebuild it.  Turns out he was just a flipper.  Guy traded to another ex-member here and he is actually doing some things to it that it deserves.     

Road Dog

First car is in my Avatar. That pic is from 1978. Still have and drive the car.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Ponch ®

'87 Sentra XE (the "sporty" one). Bought it from an aunt for $100. Drove it for about a year and a half. First I crashed it (rear ended a pickup) but it survived. Then I fried the motor trying to drift it (this was before drifiting was a thing) in a Kmart parking lot. Sold it for $400, so i guess even then I made a profit.

It was one of these, black.

to this day I still have a soft spot for NISMO cars....
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

wingcar

My first car was a 1966 Charger with 383 4-bbl automatic.  (I had seen "Thunder Alley" and figured I could build it to match the movie car...*I was young and didn't know any better!)  It was red with red interior and it was complete and just need some TLC on the body.  I purchased it from a used car lot for $500.00 and I still remember how nervous I was carrying the $500 in cash to the dealer, it felt like the National Treasury was in my pocket.  My father and I did the body work and I had the car repainted, then put Keystones on it...it looked sharp.  I traded it in for a 1969 RT/SE Charger with a 440 that was sitting on the used car lot side of Downey Dodge within a year.......
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

ODZKing

Mine was a 73 Charger SE, 318, brand new purchased in April 73.
I was stupid enough to drive it in 2 Syracuse winters and that was enough. It rotted away, badly by 1981 and I sold it to a neighbor across the street who proceeded to destroy what was left.  :rotz:

timmycharger

Got my mother's hand me down 1981 Chevy Chevette 4spd, 4cyl.  I beat the living hell out of that car and eventually blew the motor up and the car was totalled.  Still have the emblem and keys as wall art for my garage!

polywideblock

xb panel van ( file photo's   mines the white one   )  ,traded on my first aussie gm muscle car  a LH SLR 5000  Torana   

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

hemi71x

First car was a 1965 Chevy Impala 2 door, 283 Automatic.
Sold it off when i ordered a 71 Cuda.

What happened to the Impala, i haven't a clue, as i joined the USAF, and left the city, and never went back.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

Stegs

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 reg cab/short box

drove it all thru high school and 1 year after high school

bought a jeep xj to drive every day and restored my truck...

Now it sits in my barn under a cover, right next to my charger which is also under a cover.

John_Kunkel

'51 Olds 88 2-dr Hdtp....no idea what happened to it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RDC

Mine was  72 Chevelle. Drove the snot out of it as any 16 year old who thinks hes bullet proof would, after 2 years sold it to buy an Aspen R/T. Don't know if that was a smart move but I loved both cars.

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

fizz

56 dodge royal lancer. Put in a Desoto 383 and 4 speed from road runner. Painted it ford midnight blue with silver flames with red pinstrip. Volkswagon buckets and blue velvet upholstery(made from bedspreads) and blue fake fur headliner. Still parked in my dads barn. Went and looke at first time in twenty years. Still stuff in it where I left it in 77

oldgold69

first one I bought was a 63 sport fury     

TruckDriver

1967 Chevy Bel-Air 4 door. Had a 283 2spd transmission. Drove it for 2 years or so, sold it for a '73 Mustang Grande.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

68X426

First one was a 1968 Charger, green on green on green.  Or was it green on green on green?  One day I hope to find pictures.

$700 in 1973 with 95,000 miles on it.  With an indestructible 318 that got me to around 230,000 miles. 

Sold it for $800 in 1979 when living in Ventura County.

It's still used today as mule in the drug trades with Mexico.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

DC_1

69 Charger. I bought it for $400 when I was 15 years old in 1983. Put a set of fenders on it since they were rotting and I patched the trunk floor with a section of a old water heater I had in the back yard.

Someone hit it while I was sitting in front of my house waiting to turn into the driveway. Clipped my front end and bent the frame on one side and tweaked the cowl area. I junked the car.......Lookng back it was actually pretty solid other then a few sheet metal areas I repaired - by today's standard it would have been a easy fix.....meh, who knew!

cdr

1st car was a black 68 charger 383 h code,fake R/T, I was 13 years old, traded my 10 speed bike for it, the right torsion bar was pulled out & someone had beat the crap out of the hex in the cross member, i did not know how to fix it,  i did rebuild the avs carb & got the thing running, then sold it.this was in 1976.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

jaak

My first car was a 87 Dodge Daytona... POS! I sold it for 500 bucks in 1996, after I was fed up with it.

One truck I used to have I really liked was a 97 Dakota Sport, it was a single cab with a 318, 5 speed. I liked that truck, I bought it around 1999 and it had 30k miles. I drove it a while, then traded it off before my first daughter was born. The reason I mention this, is I just found out what happened to it the other day. For shits and giggles I googled the VIN number. I found an archive for a newspaper from a city about 35 east of where I live. The date on the paper was 9/25/12, it was in the legal section of the paper, It was an abandoned vehicle, and It was a notice that if the vehicle wasn't claimed within 30 Days, it would be disposed of by a towing company. Makes me wonder what it looked like when it was abandoned.

Jason

keith88

My 1st three cars were 70 chargers (because i couldn't find a 69 like i own now) The very 1st one was a basket case drove it home 40 miles with almost no brakes,sold it to upgrade to one that i actually put a plate on than again for the 3rd ...sold that because of a rotted frame.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

TUFCAT

1974 Duster 318 in 1983.  Sold it for $1,800 in the fall of 1984 to a kid in high school, who then sold it to another kid, who quickly began to destroy it.

About two years later a different buddy told me it was in a junkyard. I went over there, and sure enough...it was the same car, but literally beat to death.   :eek2:

Btw, great thread 66FB.  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Gold 68 Charger. Sold it after owning it for shy of twenty years. Used the money to pay for part of the house I live in when my 2nd wife and got got hitched.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TUFCAT

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 13, 2015, 05:50:00 PM
Gold 68 Charger. Sold it after owning it for shy of twenty years. Used the money to pay for part of the house I live in when my 2nd wife and got got hitched.

2nd wife?  We all make mistakes.....of all the things I miss, my first wife isn't one of 'em!  :icon_smile_wink:  

Hey speaking of gold Chargers...you should be all over turbans ass for changing the color on his mostly original 68 gold Charger!  :icon_smile_big:  :RantExplode:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 13, 2015, 06:48:58 PM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 13, 2015, 05:50:00 PM

2nd wife?  We all make mistakes.....of all the things I miss, my first wife isn't one of 'em!  :icon_smile_wink:

But your aim is getting better right?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

paironines

My very first car was a 70 Charger 500 318 AT with a 360 in it. Green with white interior and one black drivers seat. Very rusty car but it was mine and I drove it alot. I sold it to a kid and his dad from Ft Wayne IN in about 97 or 98. and I'd like to know what happened to it or maybe get it back. I don't have the VIN and contacts with my insurance agent and DMV have produced nothing.  

69bronzeT5

Quote from: myk on January 13, 2015, 09:57:50 AM
First car was a '69 Charger.  It now resides in my avatar and 'sig space on dodgecharger.com...

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Same here.....my first car was my '69 Charger. Still have it.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

lloyd3

Like the original poster here, mine was a '70 Roadrunner (a Limelight 383 auto w/ the black and silver interior). Western Pennsylvania was hell on 60s and 70s Mopars because of all the salt they used on the roads. My car was purchased from the original owner (who had bought it locally, all of his maintenance records came with it) in the summer of 1978 for $500. I believe it had something like 51K miles on it and was so original that the front fenders had daylight showing through them and the exhaust system leaked like a sieve.   I remember it so fondly because I've obviously forgotten all of the things I had to learn how to fix.  It was shockingly fast compared to all the other cars I had driven to that point (mostly my parent's cars).  When I think now of how remarkably it changed my life, I have to shake my head. Think of all of the money I'd have saved over the last 35-years or so if I'd only bought a Chevy truck?

Sex and drugs and rock & roll seem to take their toll on just about everybody that goes down that road. God knows I wasn't the exception.  That was a tumultuous period in my life (as it is for most 20 somethings). Hard lessons learned in the school of very hard knocks. A slightly older women (that I happened to work with) ran me through the wringer of early relationships, and I fear that the Roadrunner took the brunt of it (ah! young love!). The car ended it's life (and, thankfully, not mine) on a hot summer night in rural Mercer County. The road was dirt, the driver was impaired, and the turn exceeded the ability of the tires to stay between the poles.  I wasn't cited (hell, it wasn't even investigated!) and my attitude at the time was that it was only a $500 car and I'd get another, even better version. Reality was that it took several years (and lots of very Plain Jane drivers), a college degree, and lots of hard work  to find something that had even comparable performance.  

RallyeMike

69 Charger bought for $150. I had $500 into it and a new paint job when someone offered me $1k in front of a 7-11 store, and the rest is history. I thought I had hit the lottery - doubling my investment!

The guy ran it into a bus a few months later and totaled it. One piece of it was saved from the junk yard is bolted onto my current 69 for old time's sake.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Cooter

67 Plymouth Belvedere II. 2dr. Hd.top
owned it about a year and totaled it. This was in 87.
Replaced with 65 Satellite.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

first car was a 66 Charger, got it in 1974, still have it today

the black one below

c00nhunterjoe

My 69, paid 2000 for it in 98' @ 15 years old, ran and drove with a 400/727. Drove it like the dukes all through high school all the way up until present day.

Brass

A maroon and black 68 Charger.  I paid $250 for it in 86 (before I had a license).  I dropped a 400 into it, and had the 727 rebuilt with a shift kit and a small block converter.  It already had a dual point, double pumper, a sure grip, and slots.  That car was a roach - but it was aggro, hella loud, and a lot of fun.  I got hit on the way to work and it needed a quarter panel and rear bumper which I couldn't locate at the time.  That damage, along with perennial wiring problems, and the need for school money made me decide to let it go.  I think it was eventually stripped and salvaged.  It would be great to have something like that today as a hard-driving, devil-may-care street pounder.

chargerman69

Can't  remanber my first 6 cars were farm beaters all gone to the junkyard

My first car that i dr7ve not junked was 79 trans am 403 se still have it

lloyd3

Talking about my "first car" has made me replay the mental tape of those years, probably for the first time in any real focused detail. A couple of things have been striking for me. The biggest one is amazement that I lived through that period, and then right after that, is remembering just how much fun that Roadrunner was when I first got it licensed and on the road .  What comes back to me was how all-around balanced that car was (compared to the other cars of the period that I was driving, both before and then, after it).  It really handled fairly well, had decent brakes (for drums), and darn good acceleration (a healthy, stock, 383 Magnum is no-slouch!).  It was a low-miles original car and I'm sure that was a big part of it. God....it was so loud (Cherry Bomb glass-packs!). I'm finally figuring out why all my neighbors acted like they hated me. Things went south fairly quickly after that (hard use, bad winters, and bad roads take their toll). I'm thinking it lasted about 2-years...so 1980 was likely the end. What followed was so kaleidoscopic for me, it's a little hard to sort it all out (that sex & drugs & rock & roll thing again).

tan top

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 13, 2015, 08:15:55 PM
Quote from: myk on January 13, 2015, 09:57:50 AM

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Same here.....my first car was my '69 Charger. Still have it.

mine too , first car I bought  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tcs69rt

1973 Monte Carlo in 1983. I miss the swivel bucket seats. They would be great in an old coupe with suicide doors  :2thumbs:

I blew up the 350 in it and 6 months later I was in the USAF in Okinawa, car was sold in Radford, VA back then.

"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Charger_Dart

My first car was the older style 2 door Jeep Cherokee with a 360 and 3 speed on the floor. Put BFG all terrains on it and had lots of fun off-roading in it. Beat the snot out of it till one day I snapped a front leaf spring. Looked just like this one:

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

6spd68

Quote from: tcs69rt on January 15, 2015, 03:58:08 PM
1973 Monte Carlo in 1983. I miss the swivel bucket seats.

I'd always wondered how they were received by the driver.  Were they practical?
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

nvrbdn

my first was a 68 dodge charger B-5 blue white top and interior. 16 years old in 73. bought for 600.00 with 64000 miles on it. traded it off when I was leaving for the air force. since it went to a car lot, there is no telling what happened to it.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bill440rt

My first car was a '68 Charger, originally a 318, bought in '86 & restored it with my dad. Still own it today as a cloned 440 R/T.  :yesnod:

Now, my SECOND car was a '71 Satellite (cloned to a RR), Lemon Twist with black strobe stripes and a go-wing, with a white/brown 2-tone interior, hi-back bench seat, 440-auto on the column. It had fat 50-series tires on it with Cragar SST wheels. I sold it to some local kid who was the son of a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer who promptly put a 6-pack on it. He shortly sold it afterwards, and I never saw it again. I always wondered what happened to that car.  :scratchchin:
I should try to find and scan a photo of it...  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Quote from: bill440rt on January 16, 2015, 02:56:40 PM
My first car was a '68 Charger, originally a 318, bought in '86 & restored it with my dad. Still own it today as a cloned 440 R/T.  :yesnod:

Now, my SECOND car was a '71 Satellite (cloned to a RR), Lemon Twist with black strobe stripes and a go-wing, with a white/brown 2-tone interior, hi-back bench seat, 440-auto on the column. It had fat 50-series tires on it with Cragar SST wheels. I sold it to some local kid who was the son of a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer who promptly put a 6-pack on it. He shortly sold it afterwards, and I never saw it again. I always wondered what happened to that car.  :scratchchin:
I should try to find and scan a photo of it...  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

That's very cool Bill.  I didn't know you had the '68 that long.  You told me it was restored with your Dad but I didn't realize you were just a little runny nosed kid at the time! :icon_smile_wink:  Wow... the Senoir Mann must really know his stuff.  :yesnod:   The car turned out great for being done so many years ago. :2thumbs:  

Do you realize that in 5-10 years you're going to have to repeat history for your own little guys?  :paintingpink: :hack:

bill440rt

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 16, 2015, 03:33:56 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on January 16, 2015, 02:56:40 PM
My first car was a '68 Charger, originally a 318, bought in '86 & restored it with my dad. Still own it today as a cloned 440 R/T.  :yesnod:

Now, my SECOND car was a '71 Satellite (cloned to a RR), Lemon Twist with black strobe stripes and a go-wing, with a white/brown 2-tone interior, hi-back bench seat, 440-auto on the column. It had fat 50-series tires on it with Cragar SST wheels. I sold it to some local kid who was the son of a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer who promptly put a 6-pack on it. He shortly sold it afterwards, and I never saw it again. I always wondered what happened to that car.  :scratchchin:
I should try to find and scan a photo of it...  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

That's very cool Bill.  I didn't know you had the '68 that long.  You told me it was restored with your Dad but I didn't realize you were just a little runny nosed kid at the time! :icon_smile_wink:  Wow... the Senoir Mann must really know his stuff.  :yesnod:   The car turned out great for being done so many years ago. :2thumbs:  

Do you realize that in 5-10 years you're going to have to repeat history for your own little guys?  :paintingpink: :hack:

Yeah, my dad taught me a thing or two.  :icon_smile_wink:   :lol:
I sold the RR clone in '89 to buy my '70 R/T. Although it was totally the right move, I always wondered what happened to that RR. It was such a fun car!  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Yup!  I think you learned more than a "thing or two" when you were little Bill.  :yesnod:   It's amazing how much we learn from our Dad's when we pay attention.  We might even become like them... if we're lucky.  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

bill440rt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 16, 2015, 03:53:45 PM

Man we must be bored here.  :smilielol:

These are the topics that come out during the winter months.
However, talking about cars we used to own (or our dads that were an inspiration in our lives) is a pretty good topic.  :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

Man we must be bored here.  :smilielol:

Talking about father and son projects here....this is good stuff.  :2thumbs:

I didn't discuss the many hours I spent with my Dad sanding that Duster to get it ready for paint. I had the rust repairs done by a collision shop and we did the rest.  Looking back, those were some pretty cool days. :icon_smile_big:   Dad took a week off work and we spent that time priming, block sanding, priming, block sanding some more, and even a bit more..... until we were both tired and out of stories.  :coolgleamA:  I still remember how much I bonded with my Dad that week.

The car turned out very nice and wasn't wasn't wavy... I can assure you of that~  :buff:   Our body work would have been considered nearly perfect by standards of the day (circa 1984), and I was very proud of it.  :icon_smile_wink:

Edit: I thought back for a moment and realized my Dad was 41 years old back then. I'm now 47. Wow how time flies.....

1973rallye

It was a 1968 Acadian Beaumont Custom, 307 cubic inches, 2 speed powerglide transmission. After a series of unfortunate minor collisions(car was jinxed), I traded it for a 1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye. The very next time I saw the Beaumont the front end was crunched. Like I said, jinxed!
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

jaak

Quote from: 1973rallye on January 16, 2015, 11:41:05 PM
It was a 1968 Acadian Beaumont Custom, 307 cubic inches, 2 speed powerglide transmission. After a series of unfortunate minor collisions(car was jinxed), I traded it for a 1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye. The very next time I saw the Beaumont the front end was crunched. Like I said, jinxed!

Beaumonts, those are the cars that look like Chevelles, right?

Jason

EDIT... I googled some pics, they are the Chevelle look-a-likes.

Ghoste

Yeah, a bit of a hybrid with some Pontiac externals and Chevy drivetrains and so on.  It let the smaller dealer network in Canada get better sellers in areas that might not have every brand they wanted.

Ghoste

Man we must be bored here.  :smilielol:

So what exciting topic would you like to introduce?

tcs69rt

Quote from: 6spd68 on January 16, 2015, 11:59:07 AM

They did not recline, solid backs. At that age I had no complaints or brain cells, haha!
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

polywideblock

Quote from: Ghoste on January 17, 2015, 01:29:41 AM
Yeah, a bit of a hybrid with some Pontiac externals and Chevy drivetrains and so on.  It let the smaller dealer network in Canada get better sellers in areas that might not have every brand they wanted.

Aussie dodges were the same   :yesnod: 

my 60(assembled here in oz and sold new )  has a Plymouth interior and the 318 poly not the 315 poly 

think it's a commonwealth( Australia,Canada etc) thing    :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Lord Warlock

Kind of depends on how you look at the question.  First car that I drove was a Volvo 544 my dad bought new in 1963, he still owns it today, and my name is also on the title as I get it when he dies.  The first car that I bought myself, with money I earned from delivering papers for 5 years, was a 1969 Charger RT SE in July 1978.  Paid 800 cash for it, it was totally stock except for slot mags (see my avatar pic, that's me the day I left for college without my car).  Car had 76000 original miles, door handle didn't work (clip fell off inside door) and the radio was disconnected but still in an uncut dash.  Drove it my Senior year in High School, and my 2nd thru 5th year in college, then parked it when entered the military in my Dad's hobby garage. 
Has sat in my garage for last 30+ years, finally restored/restomodded it back to original condition better than it was when I got it.  It is ready to drive now, just have to get rid of a couple other toys blocking it from rolling out the gate to the backyard.  Body has no dents, no rust, only panels not stock are front valence and trunk floor.  I look forward to seeing it on the road again this year.  Have to drive it before cancer gets me again.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Memphis Mopar

1980 Camaro V6 3 speed which was changed to a 350SBC and a 4 speed. Parents sold it when I went into the Marine Corps.

VegasCharger

1974 Dodge Charger coupe 318. I actually financed it thru a used car lot :brickwall: $1200.00  It was red with black interior bench seat auto on column. Removed the bench seat and put in VW buckets (ughh what was I thinking). Threw headers on it, had to reverse my column shift linkage and that was all messed up. I had no parking gear :brickwall: Had to use e-brake and that ventually went out :brickwall: The salt froze it up (this was in Ohio). Yes I drove my 74 Charger thru the winter during my senior year of HS. I had it for a year and a half before it came to a grinding halt and was scrapped for parts putting into my next car which was a 1973 Dodge Charger SE. Brown with white vinyl top and white interior 400 auto slap stick A/C. Bought for $150.00 it was a rag.

Pic of my 74 towards the latter stages of owning it.

4cruzin

My first car was a 1973 black Plymouth barracuda and it is out in the garage.  Bought it in 1982 for $1800 . . . Original motor and 4 speed trans and had about 45K on the odometer.  

:2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

billssuperbird

1970 Chevy nova ss drove it for years then Tour it all down to Restore decided to get Married parted it all out then she back out.  :flame: worst day of my life I lost the car.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: tcs69rt on January 21, 2015, 09:52:20 PM
Quote from: 6spd68 on January 16, 2015, 11:59:07 AM

They did not recline, solid backs. At that age I had no complaints or brain cells, haha!

Okay I'll  play. I had a 69 4dr impala for 6 months until I got rear ended. Then bought a 73 Monte Carlo that was beat to death.  It was 10 years old and the swivel buckets did not lock and had a floor shifter that got in the way with me and my girlfriend.  It was my brothers 72 Charger is what sold me on looks and performance.  Hence, been a old school Mopar guy since.

skip68

63 Ford Ranchero, inline 6 and 3 on the tree.   Was bought for my older sister but she couldn't drive it so it was given to me.    :'(  seems like a lifetime ago. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

GOTWING

My first car was my 73 Charger S/E, pale green white top, dark green interior I bought it in 1984 from our local Ford dealer where it was traded in by an elderly couple. The car was still like new with low miles, I did all of the things that we did then, air shocks, Cragar SS mags, custom duals on the 318, Alpine stereo and that's about it.
I drove it daily until 1988 and made the mistake of selling it to another 16 year old that basically took a show quality car and trashed it. I kept tabs on it over the years and eventually lost track of it after he sold it in the 90's Fast forward 23 years later to the summer of 2011, long story but I got my actual Charger back, it was painted FJ5 lime light with color keyed bumpers etc it now has a 340 in it , the car was very rough with rust and filler. The guy that I got it from thought it was worth a mint because it was a Mopar. I never led him on that I knew that it was my old car, I told him it was after I had it loaded up onto my trailer, :D  he thought that was really cool. The whole process to buy it took weeks of trying to convince him that it's not as valuable as say a 69 R/T Charger ! The car will undergo a rotisserie restoration in the near future as I have been collecting nos and new parts, metal etc. BTW if AMD is reading this you guys need to make full ¼'s for 73-4 Chargers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:

Homerr

In order: 78 Celica, 69 Triumph TR6 beater, 91 CRX Si, 69 Dodge truck, 69 Charger (my avatar pic), 72 'Cuda, 95 Civic Si.

The last one was stolen a couple years ago and I'm driving my wife's 2002 Subaru Impreza as a DD, she takes the bus.  It's been automotive purgatory driving the Imp, but I'm building up major points and will have free reign over a future 70 Charger purchase (i.e. no wife aggro).

The Celica probably was turned into tin cans 20 years ago that have now been recycled a few times.

Baldwinvette77

Did you abandon it at a gas station? was it gold?? did you sell it to my neighbour? Cause he had a smashed gold 68 that he put a 69 chevelle front end on to repair it...

later.. he killed a pedestrian with it, then it got t-boned...

1973rallye

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on January 24, 2015, 07:53:47 AM
Did you abandon it at a gas station? was it gold?? did you sell it to my neighbour? Cause he had a smashed gold 68 that he put a 69 chevelle front end on to repair it...

later.. he killed a pedestrian with it, then it got t-boned...
Ouch! That describes a demon car! Not one that is jinxed. It was a metallic green(name escapes me). The dealership actually took it in trade. The challenger was 3500 and I believe I may have received 500 for it.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

Tbird100636

In a manner of speaking, I had more than one "first car".

My first car was a 1991 Mercury Sable. It was my uncle's car, had 100,000 miles on it, he was a chain smoker so it stunk, could never get rid of the smell. It got traded so I got bumped to my mothers old car, a 1990 Ford Taurus. That got totaled with 79,000 on the clock in late 2004.

My first car purchase that I could actually call my own was a 2001 Ford Taurus. It only had 34,000 miles on it, put about 11,000 on it, traded for my next car 2/2007.

My first new car purchase was what I traded my 01 Taurus for, a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T. Put 18,000 miles on it and traded it for my current car 11/2011, which is a 2011 Dodge Charger R/T AWD.