News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Highly Contested 70 Charger A/C Six Pack Update: 2-28-15 Door Vin Decal Question

Started by TUFCAT, January 11, 2015, 08:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

I'm not an expert on St. Louis built cars so I can't comment on whether body styles were batch built.  If so it wasn't the way other Chrysler plants were doing things in 1970.   

TUFCAT

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 12, 2015, 09:36:46 PM
To butt in - but for clarification on what is being said.  I saw VIN posted that was one off from mine.  I assumed that was built on the same day next to mine on the assembly line.  What I am hearing is that may be correct.  The vin # would be the XH29N0G 19abcd right?  

The last six numbers of the VIN is normally refered to as the "sequential number" but in fact, it has nothing to do with sequence order of cars leaving the assembly line.  Two consecutive cars can leave the assembly line with VIN's more than a thousand digits apart.

If you find two consecutively numbered vehicles (based on the last six of the VIN) they could have been built minutes, hours, days, or even weeks apart. The cars didn't move down the assembly line based on any type of VIN designated sequences.  The full VIN number was assigned when the order was given a (SPD) scheduled production date.  Any order could've been built on its actual SPD or it could've be delayed in the system depending on commodity restrictions (parts availability) to build the order.

It wasn't uncommon back then for a VIN to get hung up in the system and miss its SPD for days, or even weeks.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: moparnation74 on January 12, 2015, 09:40:22 PM
My father worked at the St Louis plant part time during 1966-1970 and they did run the model lines in batches.

As far as I know they are still run in Batches. I think they call them Buckets, Usually 200-300 at a time. LEON.

Alaskan_TA

For anyone with 1970 St. Louis tag & Mylar door sticker data, when you get time, start comparing fender tag photos & door sticker photos from the same car & compare them.

I am sure you will find that the scheduled production dates on the tags were not always the actual build month listed on the door stickers if you have enough data to compare on file.

The door stickers were required to show the actual build month while the tags were not, so I would be very surprised if you do not find any from St. Louis that do not match.

St. Louis is out of my normal area of study, but a quick search found three examples that did not match.

I have seen it at other plants as well, but do your own research on it if it interests you.   :scope:

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Ghoste

If B-J allowed reserves I imagine it would have one.  Its become a big enough circus that they seem to be able to pull off consigning everything at no reserve for the Scottsdale party.  I'm sure I speak for all auctions when I wish we could.  All it really means though is that you might have to "buy" your own car and pay the sellers premium to the house.  Think of it as a fine for having unrealistic views on what your car is worth when the audience presents you with their instant appraisal.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2015, 06:58:44 AM
If B-J allowed reserves I imagine it would have one.  Its become a big enough circus that they seem to be able to pull off consigning everything at no reserve for the Scottsdale party.  I'm sure I speak for all auctions when I wish we could.  All it really means though is that you might have to "buy" your own car and pay the sellers premium to the house.  Think of it as a fine for having unrealistic views on what your car is worth when the audience presents you with their instant appraisal.

That's how all the "no reserve" auctions work that I have been to, at least in the amusement equipment world anyhow. As Ghoste has laid out.. You put your item in and it runs, if you don't like the selling price you bid on your own equipment. If no one out there outbids you it's called a "buy back" and you the consignor pay the house the selling premium but not the buyers side.  That way the selling house has some incentive to actually sell the car to someone else, i.e. they double their take on the sale.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

moparnation74

Auction and car controversy aside it is a good looking car.  If it could be bought at the right price.  I would convert it back to what it actually was born with. 

Ghoste

Yeah thats what I'm saying too, there was no need to make it sensational.  It already was.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2015, 09:53:26 AM
Yeah thats what I'm saying too, there was no need to make it sensational.  It already was.

The seller's a used car dealer. The almighty dollar was likely the motivation here....

Ghoste

TUFCAT

...and from what I understand, he's been a Barrett-Jackson regular for years.

hemi-hampton

F8-4life

A383Wing

JesseJames78

I am watching it live on line, however it should be on discovery or velocity.... Barrett-Jackson.com

TUFCAT

MxRacer855

moparchris

The rear shot of the 1970 Hemi Charger is interesting.  Car is a 4 speed car Red/White/White.  Was owned some years ago by my good friend.  It was a pretty righteous car. If this is "high" at $200K what do you make of the F8 1970 Hemi Coronet that sold this summer for  something like 310K?

TUFCAT

Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 13, 2015, 07:38:12 PM
:iagree:  :scope:  :drool5:

That ass! I mean rear end... I MEAN TAIL PANEL!

I know!!!   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:   and needless to say...... "I'd hit that!" ™  :icon_smile_tongue:

6bblgt

Quote from: moparchris on January 13, 2015, 08:17:43 PM
The rear shot of the 1970 Hemi Charger is interesting.  Car is a 4 speed car Red/White/White.  Was owned some years ago by my good friend.  It was a pretty righteous car. If this is "high" at $200K what do you make of the F8 1970 Hemi Coronet that sold this summer for  something like 310K?

numbers matching & 1 of 4

Ghoste

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 13, 2015, 04:54:21 PM
I thought bidding on your own item was Schill bidding & Illegal :shruggy:

I'm not sure if shilling is illegal or not but it damned sure is common and likely varies state to state and nation to nation even.  Prove my friend wasn't interested in buying the car, where does it say that I can't change my mind and outbid you in order to keep my car if I'm paying the requisite fees to the house? 
I know in some areas a government representative sits at the block to monitor all bids and record all sales (mainly to ensure they get their cut in taxes but still watching bids).  There are other places where it is legal for the house to bid on an item up to a certain point which means sometimes there are no real bids at all.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on January 14, 2015, 06:35:47 AM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 13, 2015, 04:54:21 PM
I thought bidding on your own item was Schill bidding & Illegal :shruggy:

I'm not sure if shilling is illegal or not but it damned sure is common and likely varies state to state and nation to nation even.  Prove my friend wasn't interested in buying the car, where does it say that I can't change my mind and outbid you in order to keep my car if I'm paying the requisite fees to the house? 
I know in some areas a government representative sits at the block to monitor all bids and record all sales (mainly to ensure they get their cut in taxes but still watching bids).  There are other places where it is legal for the house to bid on an item up to a certain point which means sometimes there are no real bids at all.

Yea, It's commonplace in my experience. Usually nothing is really "hidden" as the owner is on the floor bidding it up. The house bidding something up probably happens but since their profits come from the final value that's gonna generate some conversation. I bet most houses don't want that image as it would probably drive away buyers and they need them to survive.

I really don't see how it's any different than setting a reserve other than it's probably more of a gamble with loosing your buyer as it's running live.  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.