News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cruise control

Started by Dreamcar, January 09, 2015, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

So my 69 came with cruise control, but over the years my car got robbed of many parts, including the cruise control parts.

I don't even know what the setup looks like. Does anyone have a pic of the parts/set-up. Google hasn't been my friend this morning.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Ghoste

There are some recent threads on here where people had photos of the brackets and servo and pretty much all of it.

Dreamcar

Found the thread. Thanks!
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Dino

I was bidding on a cruise control lever but it went a bit beyond what I would ever pay at + $230.    :rotz:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Dino on January 09, 2015, 06:35:00 PM
I was bidding on a cruise control lever but it went a bit beyond what I would ever pay at + $230.    :rotz:

I have a feeling that once I find one, it won't be cheap.

Dino

I'm still kicking myself for not buying on a few years ago because it was $75.  That was the cheapest one I've seen since.  I may just have to let the cruise control idea go on this car.  It's not like I would use it anyway.

I hope you have better luck than me.

Dreamcar

Good luck to you too. It's funny, my car is in pieces, it needs full quarters, and I'm looking for a cruise control unit. I figured if it's difficult to find and missing from my parts stash, I might as well get it now.

Dino

I think you're doing the right thing by getting the parts now.  Although possible, I wouldn't count on prices going down in the future.  The vacuum unit is pretty easy to find as are the brackets.  Be careful when buying speedometer cables.  A lot of the ebay ones are generic and much longer tha the stock ones.  Ihave not seen the brak pedal switch or wiring for sale for a long time but I suppose that can be replaced with one from another model.  The lever seems to be the hardest part to find which funny enough is the only part I really need.

Nacho-RT74

I got a NOS servo on an auction in $80 back in september... but sure was luck, AND was the late model ( 70s ) They usually run in $150-200 rate... 68/69 are a little bit diff, more expensive, but actually works the same than lates... just talking about correctness if you care
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

472 R/T SE

I asked a member about his complete set up on his rig before he started the resto.

He threw it all away.   :RantExplode:

gtx6970

Lifted this pic off of Moparts while back .
It's really shows the major difference between  the 2 different B body servo styles

Dreamcar

74charger07ram

How far into the 70's did they use that one?

ODZKing

I just went through all this actually.  They used the later into the 80's.
I had a 2 vacuum line one and traded it for another which also turned out not to be correct.  I can see if he still has it and trade back if you really want one.  I don't know if it works but I can check. Otherwise I was just going to pick another part at he yard. It didn't have the correct bracket on it as pictured below.  I believe you need the bracket in the pic all the way to the right.

Dreamcar

Quote from: ODZKing on January 12, 2015, 06:23:27 PM
I just went through all this actually.  They used the later into the 80's.
I had a 2 vacuum line one and traded it for another which also turned out not to be correct.  I can see if he still has it and trade back if you really want one.  I don't know if it works but I can check. Otherwise I was just going to pick another part at he yard. It didn't have the correct bracket on it as pictured below.  I believe you need the bracket in the pic all the way to the right.

PM sent!

Dans 68

Here are 7 pics I took of the cruise control mechanism on a one-owner '68 Charger.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dans 68

...and the final 3.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Nacho-RT74

I guess the dual vacuum tee is tooooooooo... hideaways system ? casuality on 70 they got just one tee becoming the hideaways system electric ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

ODZKing

I am no expert, only what I discovered from trying to piece together mine and 73 is different. I believe  :scratchchin: they used the dual vacuum to some point in 70 or 71. The second vacuum line went to a switch for the brake cut-off.
By 72 the switch was electronic.

Nacho-RT74

eeehm, the brake cut off system is electrical... everything is electrical still on 68/69. The vacuum is used just to pull out the throttle, but the on off system for it is still electrical. Since the brake booster check valve just have one extra tee, I'm wondering if... in 68/69s without Cruise control this tee was used to make work the hideaways ( not from the vacuum tree on manifold ) AND when cruise control was present, the secondary tee on servo served to the hideaways, since is the servo which plugs into the brake booster check valve.

Never have paid attention really on where the 68/69s got the vacuum to hideaways, if the vacuum tree on manifold, or taking it from booster check valve ;)

Dino

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 13, 2015, 01:02:46 PM

Never have paid attention really on where the 68/69s got the vacuum to hideaways, if the vacuum tree on manifold, or taking it from booster check valve ;)

Manifold tree on mine which I 'think' is original.

ODZKing

Look at the picture below Nacho.  There is a second hose that goes to a switch which is 14-02-32.  That is the brake switch.  I'm not saying I know what it does, I am just looking at the diagram.
According to the 69 service manual that is called a vacuum release valve.  There are only 3 wires coming from the stalk on a 69. I'm reading 1-06 to 1-11 in the 1969 service manual.
"When brakes are applied, switch opens vacuum hose to atmosphere which disengages speed control servo unit." is what it says   :shruggy:
Can anyone verify?   :popcrn:

472 R/T SE

I had the same T on my booster. 

Natcho, I'm missing the little "control link" that's used to attach to the carb.  Do you have any?

moparnation74

Quote from: ODZKing on January 13, 2015, 02:27:53 PM
Look at the picture below Nacho.  There is a second hose that goes to a switch which is 14-02-32.  That is the brake switch.  I'm not saying I know what it does, I am just looking at the diagram.
According to the 69 service manual that is called a vacuum release valve.  There are only 3 wires coming from the stalk on a 69. I'm reading 1-06 to 1-11 in the 1969 service manual.
"When brakes are applied, switch opens vacuum hose to atmosphere which disengages speed control servo unit." is what it says   :shruggy:
Can anyone verify?   :popcrn:
You are correct.  That hose routes underneath the booster through the firewall to the brake switch.  One of the pictures above shows part of it.  You have to have that it is like an immediate cancel switch when brakes are applied.

ODZKing

NOt sure if this is the correct name for this item, but ... This is the one on my 73, is it the same?