News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Real Daytona or clone ?

Started by 70 sublime, December 25, 2014, 10:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been curious for a while how the numbers stack up for Daytona vs clone

Own a real Daytona that is road worthy
Own a clone Daytona that is road worthy
Own a real Daytona that is a project car
Actively building a Daytona clone
Own at least one part and searching for more pieces to build a Daytona clone

70 sublime

Is there many Daytona clones out there in the project stage ?

I have a wing and what appears to be a proper hood to use on a conversion car
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

A383Wing

we built our purple car back in the mid 90's....I did everything except the rear window plug. Was running outta money and time to get it done before the 'Dega meet in 1999. Had I known then about the Vega rear hatch being a sutible substitute, I would have gone that route instead of leaving the tunnel back window in the car.

I have been considering on finishing the car with the Vega hatch, but probably won't get done in my lifetime, next owner can finish it

70 sublime

Quote from: A383Wing on December 25, 2014, 11:32:45 PM
we built our purple car back in the mid 90's....I did everything except the rear window plug. Was running outta money and time to get it done before the 'Dega meet in 1999. Had I known then about the Vega rear hatch being a sutible substitute, I would have gone that route instead of leaving the tunnel back window in the car.

I have been considering on finishing the car with the Vega hatch, but probably won't get done in my lifetime, next owner can finish it

Do you get many that really notice the back window set up on your car as it is ?

chargerman69

Ill be happy to be the next owner :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

I chose your last option since I am missing a couple of key parts.....

One fender scoop
Money

Still not sure how far I plan to take it as far as trying to make it appear correct. I never cared for the flush rear window over the recessed one & that is a hell of a lot of work to do something I don't like.   :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

70 sublime

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 26, 2014, 11:49:02 AM

One fender scoop
Money

Still not sure how far I plan to take it as far as trying to make it appear correct. I never cared for the flush rear window over the recessed one & that is a hell of a lot of work to do something I don't like.   :shruggy:

I am also stuck at the back window mod
The car is a clone and not the real thing
That is why I asked A383Wing if anybody really notices it or not
I know a few will say something but if everybody comments about it , it might get tiring after a while
I have been keeping my eyes open for a Vega hatch but there are not many of them laying around either
I guess it will depend on how nice the car I start with is around the back window , rusty rip it all out and convert and if it is nice might just leave it alone

Old Moparz

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 26, 2014, 12:11:45 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on December 26, 2014, 11:49:02 AM

One fender scoop
Money

Still not sure how far I plan to take it as far as trying to make it appear correct. I never cared for the flush rear window over the recessed one & that is a hell of a lot of work to do something I don't like.   :shruggy:

I am also stuck at the back window mod
The car is a clone and not the real thing
That is why I asked A383Wing if anybody really notices it or not
I know a few will say something but if everybody comments about it , it might get tiring after a while
I have been keeping my eyes open for a Vega hatch but there are not many of them laying around either
I guess it will depend on how nice the car I start with is around the back window , rusty rip it all out and convert and if it is nice might just leave it alone

I look on ebay & see them every now & then in case there is a local one I can get that might be in better shape than mine or to post on here for others. There was a NOS hatch for a while with a buy it price of $299 but it's been sold. They are harder to find than they used to be, but they are out there.

I wouldn't worry about what others say, it's more about what you prefer.   :Twocents:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

70 sublime

As of Jan 11 /15

I have been curious for a while how the numbers stack up for Daytona vs clone Own a real Daytona that is road worthy  3 (14.3%)
Own a clone Daytona that is road worthy  3 (14.3%)
Own a real Daytona that is a project car  4 (19%)
Actively building a Daytona clone  3 (14.3%)
Own at least one part and searching for more pieces to build a Daytona clone  8 (38.1%)
Lock Voting
Edit Poll 
Total Voters: 21

A383Wing

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 25, 2014, 11:43:05 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on December 25, 2014, 11:32:45 PM

Do you get many that really notice the back window set up on your car as it is ?

sorry I missed the question, yes, a lot of people notice it's missing the plug....mostly the Mopar crowd...the "other guys" always ask if it's real or not....so they really don't know

500Jon

Hi Sublime,

Its a question of end value maybe???
Good 440 Daytona clone is worth up to £$60,000 finished.
A good real 440 Daytona is worth around $120,000+...

How much to build a Clone?
Got to be $50,000+
How much to buy a Daytona project?
Got to be $100,000...

Here's where the difference lies, a Hemi Daytona clone probably $75,000...add a 4 speed... £75,000...
A real Hemi Daytona nicely restored $300,000+... add a 4-speed £600,000+...

I know to some Folks a clone is a better option, much cheaper to build easy to personalise and is practical (almost)...
Buy a real Daytona and you is gonna be spending $100,000 on a rebuild with everyone watching you LOL!!! :popcrn:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!