News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need opinions on what to do with my '73 Charger

Started by laxgq, March 25, 2006, 12:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laxgq

I have had a "73 Charger in my driveway for about 5 years. Just sitting there.  It was originaly purchased as a project car, but along came pay cuts at work, kids, and other assorted things that put a damper on ones drive and abilitly  to go out and work one their car.  Its time to make a decision on this car.  The wife is nagging me constantly, we are going to start a remodel on the house this year and the car is in the way.  The only place I have to work on it is the driveway.
It is a Charger SE with a sunroof, a 440 and all the numbers match.  It is complete but was sitting in a field for many years and therefore has its share of rust.  Nothing major. A couple of small holes in the floor pan and stuff like that. The interior is shot. A rat was living in it. The car really needs a complete restoration. I yanked the engine and had it professionaly rebuilt.
Do I start working on this car?  Or leave it as is and sell it and buy another car in better shape that needs less work?
I am really torn. Whenever the wind blows the car cover off I say, "damn, thats one fine looking car. I can't wait to drive it".  But then I think maybe I should just get another car that drives and work on that as I have the time and money.
I come to you, oh wise ones on the religion of Chargers, to help me find my way.

Nacho-RT74

ok, starting for 440 and sunroof you have a not common car... even better if is matching numbers.

Even 73/74 are not the more worthly cars, they are becoming on...

if you post some pics, we can at least help to you on give you a quote about how much you need to restore to show  or get it on a just nice driver maybe to local weekend shows.

PIIIIIIIICS IS A MANDATORY HERE LOL

WELCOME
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

twilt

Sounds like you have a fairly desireable car. Replacing with one in better condition would be expensive. If you were to replace it at a  later date with another project, prices will probably have gone up more.
Don`t let the wifes nagging get you down. Many women (not all) just dont get the car thing.  If its not about the car................it will probably be about something else .
I would encourage you to keep the car. Set yourself some realistic goals and work on it little by little.

RD

Quote from: twilt on March 25, 2006, 07:30:54 PM
Sounds like you have a fairly desireable car. Replacing with one in better condition would be expensive. If you were to replace it at a  later date with another project, prices will probably have gone up more.
Don`t let the wifes nagging get you down. Many women (not all) just dont get the car thing.  If its not about the car................it will probably be about something else .
I would encourage you to keep the car. Set yourself some realistic goals and work on it little by little.

totally agree with tom and nacho.  a 73 SE 440 sunroof car is pretty rare. You didnt say if it was a 4 spd or auto? just curious.  keep that puppy, do a little a time.  good luck... and where are the pics? :D :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

blackcharger

the car is bought and paid for, so that's a MAJOR plus. And you'll pay more for a running, driving car needing less work. usually a lot more. I have a '69 road runner, that sat for four years basically just a shell before I could start on it. I SHOULD have the interior done this year, and with a daughter starting college this fall, I doubt if it'll get painted. But primer or not, It's still ablast to drive. I say KEEP it. Sounds like you have a pretty nice car, and a rare one. But it's kinda hard to tell WITHOUT THE PICS!!!!
Dave

69chargeryeehaa

from your description i'd say it's not for you, you NEED to get rid of it, just this one time, only to help out a fellow member, i'd take it off your hands, just don't tell anyone!!! :o

TruckDriver

Quote from: RD on March 25, 2006, 07:33:39 PM
Quote from: twilt on March 25, 2006, 07:30:54 PM

totally agree with tom and nacho.  a 73 SE 440 sunroof car is pretty rare. You didnt say if it was a 4 spd or auto? just curious.  keep that puppy, do a little a time.  good luck... and where are the pics? :D :D
:iagree:

I agree with Tom & Jaimey, Keep it or you will regret getting rid of it like I did with 2 other Chargers.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TheGhost

It's not costing you any money to just sit in the driveway, is it?  If you can't quite afford to work on it now, put a cover over it, and wait a year or 2, untill you can.  That car is just too damn cool to let go of this easily.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

rt green

maybe the key here is to find dirt cheap storage.  store the car, finish the house, act totally bummed out for a while. drive the wife nuts with your depression, untill shes at her witts end. then, swing it so she;ll sugest you bring the charger back to work on to lift your spirits and your home free!   she'll think shes smart as hell for figureing out the situation, and she;ll never whine about it again.  heck, she might even take an interest in it.          bruce 
third string oil changer