News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why do people only look for HP Blocks

Started by ACUDANUT, January 07, 2015, 05:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

They ain't nothing rare.  HP exhaust manifolds that usually don't come with the block, when for sale.  Four barrel carb and a oil windage tray and that is it. :shruggy:

TUFCAT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 07, 2015, 05:11:50 PM
They ain't nothing rare.  HP exhaust manifolds that usually don't come with the block, when for sale.  Four barrel carb and a oil windage tray and that is it. :shruggy:

They ain't nothing rare....?  Wrong.  There's more than you mentioned.  :icon_smile_wink:  

HP stamped blocks (should be) found in cars equipped with factory High Performance engines. If you don't have an HP stamped on your 375HP 440 Magnum, you might have the wrong block.

To my knowledge any engine assembly would have left the engine build-up line (with or without) the "HP stamp" depending on how it was born, and more importantly what it was born with.  The block...well that was just a block....no difference there, so you would be correct on that.

Bare engine blocks all start out from the same process. They're cast and machined all together.  I haven't heard of special casting runs for HP blocks...(race hemi stuff excluded I'm talking about non race specific wedge engines). Chrysler would stamp HP on a block if the final assembled engine contained high performance internal parts or other components...cam, heads, pistons, rod, intake, ...basically whatever differences they considered constituted the "HP" stamping designation.

So to answer your question....Yes there's more difference than you described, but NO, its not the physical design of the block. However, its the only way to verify a block originally stuffed with HP components.

Troy

I think the only people actively looking for them are the ones who want them to look correct (or need a close-as-possible replacement in their "restored" car). The average guy dropping a 440 into a hot rod doesn't really care - mainly because the only original part they're using is, most likely, the block. All the blocks were functionally the same.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TUFCAT

A perfect example of this is the 1967 440 cylinder heads with "915" casting number.....

The HP difference was the exhaust valve size.  Regular 915 heads were machined with 2.08-inch intake/1.60-inch exhaust valves. HP stamped heads were machined with larger 1.74 inch exhaust valves.

Otherwise they were the exact same casting.

hemi-hampton

The non HP motor was not rated at 375 Horse Power because it had a smaller cam & other differances. LEON. :shruggy: :Twocents: :slap:

ACUDANUT

Cam, exhaust manifolds and intakes all can be changed and do not last 40 years.  That was my take. The heads do vary, but again. It does not make a HP a better engine 40 years later. :Twocents

Bottom line. a HP engine 40-50 years later don't meant anything.  We all have re built these engines much better than they left the Factory.  HP or not. So what is the big deal. NOTHING.

Mike DC

An original R/T VIN number doesn't help a unibody go any faster, either.  But people still pay extra for it.

Ghoste

So you don't think an RT should be worth more than an XP or XH?

wingcar

Now days, about any 440 is in demand, as there are just not that many in junk yards anymore.  That's why a lot of C-bodies and for that matter old motorhomes have had there 440's pulled......
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

I referred to Newports and New Yorkers as engine donors even back in the 70's.

Mike DC

QuoteSo you don't think an RT should be worth more than an XP or XH?

I didn't say that.  I just pointed out the facts.

Me, I understand the appeal of VIN cars but I don't care to buy one on principle without knowing much about the car.  I like specific cars with known histories.  IMO there is way too much fraud in the hobby.  And modern restorations are (necessarily) too thorough to know anything about what it had been before. 

69DAYTONASE

Pedigree.....but back in the late '70's- '80's C-body 440s were preferred because you knew that they weren't beat like the HP motors were. The first motor I swapped in my six pack bee back in '82 came out of a '67 crown imperial I recall it costing a whopping $125! All I did to it was put on my six pack intake, HP exhaust manifolds, & DC chrome valve covers.
But for "pedigree" in the late '80's I built a motor on a '68 HP block for it. :popcrn:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

TUFCAT

You have to watch out for the "LC" or "L" stamp that would indicate a low compression engine.

Ghoste

If only someone would sell a time machine on e-bay or something.

TUFCAT

Mike DC

It's a reference to the movie "Napoleon Dynamite".

TUFCAT

Sorry dude, I totally missed that one....it went right over my head. :brickwall:    Carry on.... :coolgleamA:

John_Kunkel

I think people covet HP blocks because they've bought into the old myth that they're different than standard blocks (other than the stamping).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TUFCAT

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 08, 2015, 03:03:01 PM

I think people covet HP blocks because they've bought into the old myth that they're different than standard blocks (other than the stamping).

I agree there's no difference in the engine block's architecture or stamping.... however HP stamped engines were original equipment on cars with factory "high performance" engines, and there's no denying that.

ACUDANUT

Bottom ling, is we all have rebuilt these engines better than they left the factory. Better heads, cams and exhaust.  A HP block means nothing 40-50 years later.  it's not like they were 14K engine made of gold.

TUFCAT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 08, 2015, 05:27:48 PM
Bottom ling, is we all have rebuilt these engines better than they left the factory. Better heads, cams and exhaust.  A HP block means nothing 40-50 years later.  it's not like they were 14K engine made of gold.

yes, if you're working with a bare engine block - you're are correct.  Don't confuse people to think their original factory HP stamped block is meaningless.  This is the internet, where many people believe what they hear is true.  A factory "HP" stamped block came was built with High Performance equipment. Its really up to the owner and/or builder to use factory HP specification parts (or better) when rebuilding it.  

RallyeMike

QuoteNow days, about any 440 is in demand, as there are just not that many in junk yards anymore.  That's why a lot of C-bodies and for that matter old motorhomes have had there 440's pulled......

I've been posting some non-HP 72-73 std. bore bare blocks with caps on CL for the last year and not a single call. They are just as good as any 68-71 desired HP casting but nobody wants them even for cheap.  :shruggy:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

I think John hit it, many people buy into a myth that an HP block is better and likely it applies to the year too, they 68-70 for the same reason.