News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 RT Early Production

Started by jww426, January 06, 2015, 11:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jww426

Well...
sold the wife, kept the dogs, and swindled my banker into a second mortgage at 44% interest. What a deal he said!

I found my car locally in VA.
It was built in Sept. 1967.
I love the early-style steering wheel, and its a crispy fresh resto that was done 3 years and 360 miles ago.
The color was not my favorite, but its growing on me.
Numbers match, but Ill get it up onto the old Bendpak lift to check soon.
Any flaws y'all can see for me to fix?
Thanks!
JWW
JWWIV

jww426

Some more:
JWWIV

mightywing7

Nice score!!  Congrats!!  :2thumbs:

Post more pics so we can see what options came with the car as well.  Best of luck with your new toy!
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

moparnation74

Being built that early I will be surprised if it has Vin stampings on motor/trans.  Do you have a build sheet?  Was the tach added later?  Need an engine bay shot.

In any event from the pics car is sweet :2thumbs:

jww426

Even more!
JWWIV

jww426

yup...
JWWIV

jww426

underneath clean as a steam engines whistle, in fact, I just licked the leaf springs and they tasted like liver and onions
JWWIV

hemi68charger

Good lookin' '68. The magnums really do the car justice..   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Troy

What kind of "flaws" do you want to fix?

Well, the biggest is the white interior (black on the fender tag) but I like it and would prefer white over black any day - except when it comes to cleaning! Obvious ones are plug wires, coil, and electronic ignition. I don't see the little chrome corners on the map pockets (but that's not real surprising).

I like it and probably wouldn't change a thing (gets me in all sorts of trouble!). It's unlikely that you'll end up parked right next to a similar one any time soon.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cncguy

That's one nice charger! I hope not 44%

tan top

:2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :drool5:  looks awesome   :drool5:  don't think I would change anything !!  although  maybe black interior  :scratchchin: but the white looks good with the exterior color
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RIDELIKEHELL

Nice car! I've seen it somewhere before  :scratchchin:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

jww426

Perhaps Ill yank the engine and put in on a stand for display. Then Ill put in a small block Chevy with eight Strombergs, that plus cut a hole in the hood so they can stick out.
Perhaps a green interior.
Maybe a bright green stripe kit.
LED's underneath so it'll light up at night.
Whip antenna, and a marine VHF radio.
Hmmm...
JWWIV

Mytur Binsdirti

Very, very nice!    :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

The biggest flaw that I see is that it doesn't have air conditioning. ;)

6bblgt

It's a GREAT color & "scheduled" on my 3rd birthday.  :2thumbs:

Does it have the red/white/blue interior door pad emblems?

6bblgt

Quote from: moparnation74 on January 06, 2015, 11:26:12 AM
Being built that early I will be surprised if it has Vin stampings on motor/trans.  Do you have a build sheet?  Was the tach added later?  Need an engine bay shot.

In any event from the pics car is sweet :2thumbs:

For the '68, partial VINs are stamped on the ENGINE & TRANSMISSION on all HP applications for the entire model year.

jww426

What do those early r-w-b door emblems look like?
it has a new interior.
JWW
JWWIV

moparchris

WOW :o
Best color for a 68 Charger in my opinion.  Everybody has to have a Black one.  After a while nobody cares.  That Burgundy is stunning.  Of course I may be jaded as my first 68 R/T was Burgundy with a Black top and White butt stripes.
Congrats on the car, it's a beauty :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: jww426 on January 06, 2015, 06:51:12 PM
What do those early r-w-b door emblems look like?
it has a new interior.
JWW

In the emblem on the upper door pad. Instead of three orange strips around the charger emblem,the early 68 cars have red white and blue. My first Charger was that way.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

jaak

Nice R/T!!!!

The only flaw I see that you need to remedy is "360 miles in 3 years"  :o

Report back in a year with at least 5,360 miles!!!!  :yesnod:

Jason

tsmithae

I too am a big fan of the burgundy.  I thought long and hard about A4 Silver vs. Burgundy for my '70. 

Here's the RWB emblem. 
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

chargerperson

good score.  I will happily take your first generation off your hands

jww426

Thanks all.

Anyone seen a tan top on a burgundy car?
Might look nice.
JWW
JWWIV

jww426

Vettes and Caddys look good with one...
JWWIV

moparnation74

I like the all burgandy!  Tan top? NO WAY!  On Verts, like the ones pictured it is a nice compliment.  Especially, with a matching interior.

472 R/T SE

Wow, what a beauty!

I absolutely love that burgundy.

Bill Wiemann owned a '70 Charger R/T painted in *Special Order* 999 code burgundy with what I thought was a tan-ish colored top.  Not positive, it's been a while since I remember seeing it.

hatersaurusrex

Mine's also a Sept 67 build - looks like we're only 6 days apart  It has the RWB emblems AND the chrome map pockets though.   Still has a ways to go to be in anywhere near as clean as yours though.  Here's a couple of pics from when I drug it home.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

triple_green

That is an awesome car! I think I have only ever seen one other RR1 68.

"blueskydark" on this website has one and it is original paint. I think it is a 383 car. Maybe she'll chime in.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

squeakfinder

Quote from: triple_green on January 07, 2015, 06:20:33 PM
That is an awesome car! I think I have only ever seen one other RR1 68.

"blueskydark" on this website has one and it is original paint. I think it is a 383 car. Maybe she'll chime in.

That one is hard to forget....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89224.25.html
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

TUFCAT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 06, 2015, 03:24:22 PM
Very, very nice!    :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

The biggest flaw that I see is that it doesn't have air conditioning. ;)

Looks very nice!  One obvious flaw I can see is the front sway bar should be painted black.

MxRacer855

69rtse4spd

Very, very nice car, nice color, whites not realy doing it for me either. But then I have a 69 A4, with green guts & green top,  :eek2:, but all original. Only flaw is no split in the grill, & the springs didn't taste like bacon.  :2thumbs:.

fc7_plumcrazy

very nice Charger.
I would remove the 15" wheels and install correct 14"

Carsten

70 Charger X2

Quote from: jww426 on January 06, 2015, 02:59:04 PM
Perhaps Ill yank the engine and put in on a stand for display. Then Ill put in a small block Chevy with eight Strombergs, that plus cut a hole in the hood so they can stick out.
Perhaps a green interior.
Maybe a bright green stripe kit.
LED's underneath so it'll light up at night.
Whip antenna, and a marine VHF radio.
Hmmm...

Oh God Please don't !!! I think we all have to seriously consider taking it away from you till you came to your senses,  All kidding aside I would not change anything. I think the color is great and works very well with the black and white interior. My first 68 was bright red with the black and white interior in it and I thought that worked pretty well but this burgundy really gives the car distinctive lines and good contrast of the white tail strips. To me it all ties together quite nicely.
Paulie

\