News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valvetrain noise thoughts? Advice needed.

Started by XH29N0G, December 23, 2014, 11:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on January 01, 2015, 12:21:32 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 01, 2015, 12:05:30 PM
Personally, i have always thought the stock rocker setup was "noisey". The rockers have slop in them and can "wiggle" laterally on the shafts. They are not bushed and no amount of oil or fancy covers will ever stop valvetrain noise on a factory setup in my opinion.
    I would suggest pulling valve covers and making sure none of your hold down spacer ears broke first. I have seen that before with higher lift and higher spring pressures using stock parts. If they are all fine and there is no excessive lateral rocker movement and you still seek peace of mind, then i suggest pulling the valley pan and visually inspect each lifter for the correct preload on base circle. Assuming all checks out, put it back together and enjoy the car.

There are over 3 million applications where they are quiet.  There is no slop in the direction of load, as they are always to be in contact with the under side of the shaft.  There is no measurable side load so that would not be the source of noise.  If the rocker become loose between the shaft and the rocker, that is because it is loose between the push rod and rocker and will make a slap sound with any rocker.   In that case your problem is elsewhere.

Perhaps i was not specific enough. As i had said on his video, i heard nothing abnormal. My definition of "noisey" may be different from 50 other people's idea of noisey. With a stock cam i agree it should be very quiet. But like ron just said, the more agressive cams will have some noise to them. Its the way they are. Once you have changed to a more agressive cam, I see nothing wrong with valvetrain noise that is compared to the old small block chevy mechanical cam sound. I think that is a decent "universal" analogy that most people can relate the sound level to. Thats also why i suggested to him to pop the covers and even the intake to verify everything is in spec as far as lifter preload and rocker adjustment. As long as it is in spec, its most likely going to be the nature of the beast. I beleive you said something similar above as well regarding changing the cam if he wanted it quieter. It is very hard for all of us to judge sound levels from behind our keyboards. Lol.

XH29N0G

I appreciate all that everyone has suggested and am not worried.  I will be popping the covers not too far in the future - have some other things to do first - to check, but I don't get the impression that there is a problem.  I also will swap valve covers - just to see whether there is a difference in sound level.  I also would not be hearing this if I had not spent so much time trying to get the exhaust quiet. 

I know what a bad/worn rocker sounds like and I definitely don't have that.  It is just a little more noisy than I was used to with the stock set up.  All I was asking before was whether changing the rockers to something that was adjustable would change things.  In retrospect, it might, but it also might be the wrong thing for someone with my level of expertise to be monkeying with.   

I also spent some time listening to what other people's engines sound like with Comp cams and hear similar things.

I really appreciate all the time that the people on this board have taken to answer questions and discuss.  I have learned a lot in the process.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Challenger340

I can't tell in your video... Low Deck 400 based ?....  or RB 440 Block ?
What Stroke ?

All I hear is a bit of rolling noise from Piston Slap... typical with 1.34" CD pistons in "451" 400 Block based Engines using 2618 Alloy Slugs ?
Sorry,
even if it is 440 Block based... all I hear is piston slap(2618 Slugs)
Only wimps wear Bowties !

XH29N0G

Challenger 340 This is the one you looked at last year.  It is 383 with 3.9 stroke.  The pistons are diamond and do slap some.  I think that was the assessment last time, but also with some valvetrain noise.  Maybe it is all piston slap.   

Or maybe it protects us. 

Challenger340

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 04, 2015, 05:49:09 PM
Challenger 340 This is the one you looked at last year.  It is 383 with 3.9 stroke.  The pistons are diamond and do slap some.  I think that was the assessment last time, but also with some valvetrain noise.  Maybe it is all piston slap.   

I did ?
I thought it looked familiar ?
Fawking alzhiemer's must be setting in ?
I can't remember why I ain't apposed to eat 'outa Aluminum pots either ?
Better hide my own Easter Eggs next week !

3.9 Stroke.... what Rod length ?
6.585" ?
No matter....
yep, it's close enough for Piston C.D. length on a 2618 Alloy Slug that you are gonna hear it.
IMO,
you can try adjustable Rockers.... but I don't think you will quiet up anything, it's a rotational thing on the major thrust wall.
Nonetheless,
it'll run forever with no harm done !

About the only "fix" is in hindsight, is potentially a 4032 Alloy could have been used, which can be fit "tighter" to run quieter ? Problem being I don't think anybody offers a Piston for that application in a 4032 "off the shelf".... and typically "customs" or low-numerical apps default to the tougher 2618's... probably why you have them ?
Your Builder was only trying to give you the best, albeit slightly noisier.

Probably turns on like raped lowland gorilla though.......  right ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

XH29N0G

It runs great, and I think it is the way it is supposed to be.  Just wanted to have it sound a little more sedate when I went to pick up my dad and Mom this spring.  I bought it from him and they think of it as the old family car  :lol: MY dad will be OK (he had me put different stickers on his outboard so mom wouldn't worry too much.)

Thanks for the response. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

Tom Q

I hear a noisy valve train and piston slap in the video.
Well...no one has inquired as to how much lifter preload there is.  You guys would be fired if you did tech support for a living.  ;D ::)
It should be 0.020-0.040  [inches] It needs to be measured and corrected if it is incorrect.
It is not difficult to measure it, it more about having the right dial indicator and set up.

XH29N0G

Tom,

Thanks for your response.  In the not too distant future (but not the next two weeks) I will pop the valve covers and will check this to be sure it is OK.  I don't expect a problem, but won't know until I check.

Or maybe it protects us. 

BSB67

Quote from: Tom Q on January 04, 2015, 07:23:43 PM
Well...no one has inquired as to how much lifter preload there is.  You guys would be fired if you did tech support for a living.  ;D ::)
It should be 0.020-0.040  [inches] It needs to be measured and corrected if it is incorrect.

Can you explain exactly why the valve train will make more noise if the lifter preload is at 0.010" or 0.045"?  Exactly what in the plunger/valving in the lifter won't work properly? 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph