News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

World record Burnout

Started by JB400, January 04, 2015, 05:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Ghoste

I don't anything about the world record portion or how long it will stand but it sure was fun to watch.  Thanks for posting. :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

I don't want to seem like an "ass" here....but I hate the smell, and think burnout contests are horribly stupid.

polywideblock

leave it to the aussies   :icon_smile_big:  :coolgleamA:

you just need to stand up wind  :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Kern Dog

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 04, 2015, 11:11:27 AM
I don't want to seem like an "ass" here....

Too late. The smells of the cars is part of what makles them so much fun.

Road Dog

I think we did more than that leaving High School back in the day. :nana:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

John_Kunkel

I don't want to seem like an "ass" here....but I hate the smell, and think burnout contests are horribly stupid.

You're not alone but we are in the minority.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bill440rt

Incredibly pointless, yet interesting at the same time how it was organized.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

tan top

with out looking ,  the title of this thread , just  knew is was from the Ozzie Mob  from land down under  :yesnod:  

interesting record  :yesnod:  :coolgleamA: awesome spectical !!  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:  but

not for me  , static burnouts  :down:

still each to their own  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

I enjoy the hell outta them.  It's a big ole world though and I like it that way.

Brass

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 04, 2015, 03:48:16 PM

Me too. 

TUFCAT

Glad some recognize my point......standing on the brake while smoking the tires was fun until most of us turned 18.....   :-\

In my high school days anybody could've done that in their Dad's K-car with the E-brake on.  :P   It didn't make any you cooler when the Reliant lost by a "3 semi-truck lengths" in an after school drag race**.....with bald front tires, and a slipping trans, that you had to explain to the old man when you got home.  :brickwall:

** - Not based on a true story.  I'd rather take the bus than drive my Dad's Reliant to school....I drove a real car that would burn the tires when ever I wanted. :icon_smile_wink:  

Drache

Personally I like doing them and like watching them. Hell I don't like watching Nascar because I think it's boring watching people make left turns all day long. Some people think drag racing is boring because it's 1/4 mile straight line. To each their own.

People that do it enjoy it and crowds generally like it as well. It started in the burnout boxes in Drag racing. Racers realized the crowd was into seeing the tires smoke right before the race.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TUFCAT

Seriously, I've seen people win these contests with a V6 pickup truck or 2 wheel drive Explorer.  :yesnod:  

Drache

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 05, 2015, 05:48:47 PM
Seriously, I've seen people with these contests with a V6 pickup truck or 2 wheel drive Explorer.  :yesnod: 

Of course. You can do a brake stand with anything. But part of these competitions is being able to put on a good show as well. Most now that you see involve the car moving. Doing doughnuts and all that where you have to keep the tires smoking the entire time.

Put on a good show without the smoke stopping and without your engine imploding.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ws23rt

The younger ya are the funner it are. :icon_smile_wink:  With my 57 desoto I put a (one) 95ft long solid black stripe in my high school parking lot that lasted for two years. :o

What I'd like to see these days is a blow up your engine contest that follows the tire shredding start. :lol:

TUFCAT

Quote from: ws23rt on January 05, 2015, 07:54:48 PM
The younger ya are the funner it are. :icon_smile_wink:  With my 57 desoto I put a (one) 95ft long solid black stripe in my high school parking lot that lasted for two years. :o

What I'd like to see these days is a blow up your engine contest that follows the tire shredding start. :lol:

A doughnut contest would be cool....at least it would show some talent.  Blowing an engine...?  Even cooler. That would definitely get my vote... and my attention.  Maybe even a few laughs.  :2thumbs:

ws23rt

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 05, 2015, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on January 05, 2015, 07:54:48 PM
The younger ya are the funner it are. :icon_smile_wink:  With my 57 desoto I put a (one) 95ft long solid black stripe in my high school parking lot that lasted for two years. :o

A doughnut contest would be cool....at least it would show some talent.  Blowing an engine...?  Even cooler. That would definitely get my vote... and my attention.  Maybe even a few laughs.  :2thumbs:

I've tried to blow up a couple of engines many years ago but it was disappointing. :icon_smile_dissapprove:  They just slowed down and smelled bad.  What I wanted to see was parts flying.  :shruggy:

TUFCAT

I once blew up and engine with the help of some friends.....we actually put a brick on the gas pedal and then got disappointed.....  

The thing screeeeemed forever.....and made unreal frickin' noise!  Then like you said, it gradually slowed down... sputtered, and stalled.

But hey.....that was a bullet-proof 4 cylinder 2.3 Ford Maverick.  So I guess when people say "bullet-proof" - - they actually really mean it! :yesnod:

Ghoste

Been to a couple of engine blow "events" and both times it was the same as you two mention, sreaming engine that slows to its death.  I'm sure there are some great ones rods flying everywhere and stuff but my experiences were boring.
A uddy of mine decided to make his Astre self destruct one time and I guess that was slightly different, when it finally got to the death throes it was so hot it began to melt the aluminum block (Axtre same as Vega remember) so watching the aluminum puddle on the ground under it was funny at least.  No much of a puddle though really, more like drops of GM innovation but at least we could call it a meltdown.

six-tee-nine

we did it once to a Little honda Civic we used for dirt track racing...

That V tech engine kept at almost 8K rpms for over 15 mins. Then she slowed down and stalled. But after the smoke went by we could see the pavement trough the top of the engine block.... Found a couple of chewed up rods on the ground....

just some teenage punks having fun..... were are the days......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

wingcar

Perhaps I am missing something, but back in the day the idea was to get traction.  Spinning wheels got you nothing but second place...... :yesnod:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

John_Kunkel

Some people are easily entertained, burnout contests prove that.  :smilielol:

Drache

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 06, 2015, 01:51:58 PM

Or watching nascar  :D
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TUFCAT

Quote from: Drache on January 06, 2015, 02:23:21 PM

True. Nascar drivers at least do few doughnuts to make it more interesting....

Drache

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 06, 2015, 03:00:10 PM

"Oh look they're making another left turn! Look, another left turn! And another left turn! Oh my God I wonder what is going to happen next?! Another left turn, I did not see that coming!"  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TUFCAT

Quote from: Drache on January 06, 2015, 03:21:29 PM
Quote from: TUFCAT on January 06, 2015, 03:00:10 PM

"Oh look they're making another left turn! Look, another left turn! And another left turn! Oh my God I wonder what is going to happen next?! Another left turn, I did not see that coming!"  :icon_smile_big:

Its pretty much all scripted these days.....with equally prepared IROC cars.   :brickwall:

polywideblock

you guy seem to be somewhat restricted in your motorsport viewing    

considering every brand has a V8 ,  someone over there should start up the V8 super cars touring car races   :scratchchin:  

it would give you guys something to watch with both left and right hand turns   :yesnod:  with lots of HIGH speed "get offs"  

just pick some small country town( or  large city )  with some killer roads  , close the roads off once a year to make a  killer circuit  like   , Sydney   Adelaide  
  the gold coast etc   and not forgetting Bathurst  

they do burnouts etc. to keep crowd happy  you might like it , it's a whole different kettle of fish     :Twocents:

old clip but shows the whole circuit  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC9NAhlsxUU

:icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

No matter how wonderful you imagine all your treasured activities are John, I can absolutely promise you without doubt that someone out there thinks they are stupid and that you must be easily entertained

Not sure how this will work being sent from my mobile but I get a kick out of this video every time.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rnCxSXoEcmE

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

polywideblock

JB400

We have other v8 powered motorsports, they're just not shown on tv that much, aka SCCA Trans Am, and the American LeMans Series.

Bandit72

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 05, 2015, 08:29:41 PM
I once blew up and engine with the help of some friends.....we actually put a brick on the gas pedal and then got disappointed.....  

The thing screeeeemed forever.....and made unreal frickin' noise!  Then like you said, it gradually slowed down... sputtered, and stalled.

But hey.....that was a bullet-proof 4 cylinder 2.3 Ford Maverick.  So I guess when people say "bullet-proof" - - they actually really mean it! :yesnod:

we did that with a ford 300 inline 6....got so hot it seized up, let it sit for afew days and the damn things started! Smoked a lot and made all sorts of racket but it started!
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Ghoste on January 06, 2015, 07:42:08 PM

Some people are easily entertained, burnout contests prove that.  :smilielol:

No matter how wonderful you imagine all your treasured activities are John, I can absolutely promise you without doubt that someone out there thinks they are stupid and that you must be easily entertained

For comparison's sake, tell me what activity(s) you consider stupid.

Drache

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 07, 2015, 02:43:42 PM
For comparison's sake, tell me what activity(s) you consider stupid.

Easy John he's just making a generalized statement.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

69DAYTONASE

Quote from: Brass on January 05, 2015, 04:00:10 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 04, 2015, 03:48:16 PM

Me too.  
Copy that......brake lock burnouts are boring, anyone can do one with anything-yawn, pointless waste of car and time. Much more impressive to unleash the beast and let 'em smoke the tires while walking out on their own! :2thumbs:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

TUFCAT

Exactly...I'd rather watch a car leave two long black marks all the way through first gear, another patch in second, and some in third.

69DAYTONASE

One of my high school friends once nosed his '73 Fury against the wall of a shopping mall and proceeded to do a burnout. This I thought very stupid and funny at the time. The store employees came out and started yelling at him(through a dense cloud of smoke) and called the cops. We used to do water burnouts at the same mall, just find a puddle and the result was some pretty spectacular burnouts...WITHOUT brake locking!
:drive: :notworthy:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

Drache

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 08, 2015, 10:33:50 AM
Exactly...I'd rather watch a car leave two long black marks all the way through first gear, another patch in second, and some in third.

See to me that is a burnout. Granted I've done a brake stand for a few seconds to get the tires nice and smoking then let the car blast to get the crowds really into it.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Mike DC

Anything on earth that you can possibly do with a car besides transportation, I will guarantee you three things:

#1 - somebody has done it.

#2 - somebody else said it was cool/amusing.

#3 - somebody else said it was stupid/wasteful.

John_Kunkel

AAAHHHH !! My new knickname, "number three".  :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 08, 2015, 03:04:47 PM

AAAHHHH !! My new knickname, "number three".  :2thumbs:

I'm on record that I agree with you. The only burnout I ever thought was remotely interesting was Ralph Giles' Hellcat Challenger burnout at Carlisle.....because it captured "the moment" perfectly.  :2thumbs: