News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gravyard carZ show

Started by keith88, January 03, 2015, 07:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Quote from: moparnation74 on January 05, 2015, 10:38:17 AM
I really enjoy the cars being restored and the restoration information provided.

However, the constant bickering and boxing antics take away from it.  Reality shows try to find a niche for humor and entertainment but the avenue GYC takes is rather annoying/embarrassing. 

X2
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Chargerguy74

I loved the show. I thought it was amazing until a couple "facts" Mark stated were actually incorrect. They were minor, and I don't recall what they were, but he's human. I have learned quite a bit from him though.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

archie360

Try to catch it every week.  Folks love to hate Mark but the thing is you can't take his belittling seriously and it doesn't appear Darron and crew due either.  Most of it's for TV as these guys pretty much grew up together.  He's been friends with Royal since he had hair.  If it was real Mark would be wearing a black eye from one week to the next and be unable to keep employees.  I actually get a kick out of Marks attempts at humor, but still wonder how they get anything done.
1971 SE 383HP     1972 Rallye 340

r4daytona

Well at least most of you guys aren't like the majority on moparts. (At least it seems that way) I don't get how people can get so worked up over a show - or a person.  It's not filmed live but even when the cameras are off the banter continues.  Some of you guys may not "rip" on your friends like that but I know when I'm with some of mine we sure do. You will see me on a future episode going at it with Mark a bit so I guess some can hate me as well.   Like I've said before Mark and his guys are decent guys, it's just their style.  Does Mark boast a bit much for some, sure I suppose but I take it with a grain of salt. But did anyone notice where he did state something to the effect that he's not the "most" knowledgeable mopar guy. Some had to appreciate the touch of humbleness.  Hell, I boast about the time I was with these four chicks, ok maybe it was three, alright it was two. lol   The show is just some lighthearted silly humor. Is my car perfect - no- but the plan wasn't to do it that way as I've said before.  But I do think it came out damn nice, though some would disagree. Once it freakin warms up a bit here the plan this winter is to do some more detail stuff.

Yes, Derrick is his main assembly and paint guy.  Very nice guy and easy to be with.  He is who I spend most of my time with when I've been there working.

That yellow charger was very nice - like a time capsule. When I was there last summer we started to take it apart. Mark liked that I taped every screw in the same hole it came out of for the interior trim pieces.  I try to be very organized!  This past summer the guy had it back at the shop to work out a few rattles and things- Mark did it without question.  And yes, for those that scrutinize, the left exhaust tip/tailpipe did get straightened out a bit from the tailpanel.

Tom

moparnation74

As I said before great information and nice projects.

The little changes he made so far this season in relation to the "Banter" you refer to.  Was due to the massive outcry of viewer complaints.  The facts are the facts regardless.

I enjoy the show and I wish they could figure out a better form of entertainment.

Excluding, Rex's charger.  The quality of their restorations are done well.  He also stood up and was willing to repair the mistakes on the sublime 70 charger.  What more can anyone ask?

Tom, anyone complaining about your Daytona are just jealous people.   

Hard Charger

well said Tom

your portrayed relationship with Mark is rather complex, on camera that is. I would sure expect that you know what your talking about.

Its just a car show with a hook to draw in non car non mopar viewers to watch the show (due to the personalities). that is the essence of TV.

r4daytona

I don't know I'd say I knew what I was talking about.  I do ok (at best) in the car knowledge arena but I'm an idiot compared to most of you guys. I do pretty good with daytonas and AAR's since I had one of those.  Now, if you want to talk about old coins - I'm your guy. I know, I know, how can I have a cool car and then be a nerdy coin collector.  :lol:

I believe you will see a screw up of mine where I stated the incorrect year of they car we were working on.  Don't know why the hell I did it - if I did - just a brain fart I guess.

keith88

I don't know why some people have such an issue with the atmosphere of the show i worked at a body shop for a while some years back and it was much the same it was all Good no real harm was made ,some people need to not be so thin skinned. :Twocents:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: keith88 on January 03, 2015, 07:08:21 PM
Hi i was wounding what people think and if they have watched Graveyard carZ on Velocity. Its a show on this shop that restores nothing but Mopars been watching it a lot lately and it pretty good. Just started a restoration on the General Lee that jumped on to the highway from the Dukes of Hazzard movie.  They have restored some very rear Mopars on that show, wish i had the money for them to do mine. :2thumbs: :popcrn:

You, the OP, asked what our opinions of the show are.

And guess what?  Opinions  were posted.

Quote from: r4daytona on January 08, 2015, 09:08:24 AM
Well at least most of you guys aren't like the majority on moparts. (At least it seems that way) I don't get how people can get so worked up over a show - or a person.  It's not filmed live but even when the cameras are off the banter continues.  Some of you guys may not "rip" on your friends like that but I know when I'm with some of mine we sure do. You will see me on a future episode going at it with Mark a bit so I guess some can hate me as well.   Like I've said before Mark and his guys are decent guys, it's just their style.  Does Mark boast a bit much for some, sure I suppose but I take it with a grain of salt. But did anyone notice where he did state something to the effect that he's not the "most" knowledgeable mopar guy. Some had to appreciate the touch of humbleness.  Hell, I boast about the time I was with these four chicks, ok maybe it was three, alright it was two. lol   The show is just some lighthearted silly humor. Is my car perfect - no- but the plan wasn't to do it that way as I've said before.  But I do think it came out damn nice, though some would disagree. Once it freakin warms up a bit here the plan this winter is to do some more detail stuff.

Yes, Derrick is his main assembly and paint guy Very nice guy and easy to be with.  He is who I spend most of my time with when I've been there working.

That yellow charger was very nice - like a time capsule. When I was there last summer we started to take it apart. Mark liked that I taped every screw in the same hole it came out of for the interior trim pieces.  I try to be very organized!  This past summer the guy had it back at the shop to work out a few rattles and things- Mark did it without question.  And yes, for those that scrutinize, the left exhaust tip/tailpipe did get straightened out a bit from the tailpanel.

Tom

Hmmm.       :o          Cool.

I figured that there were a bunch of 'behind-the-scene' guys that did the heavy lifting.....kind of like the army that rolls out at every reveal on Overhaulin'.

Thanks for the insight.   :cheers: 

keith88

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

F8-4life

I like the show, mopars on tv is great.
Also its odd how so many people have a problem with mark?
Get a sense of humor!

TUFCAT

I really don't know what to think. :scratchchin:  Sometimes I've feel like I wasted an hour of my life.....then sometimes I don't. :P   Overall I enjoy watching the show but I still many things that are wrong which pisses me off.  I guess I just have try to ignore it.... because its only TV.

polywideblock

don't watch it  I've tried several time but   :rotz:  love the cars don't get me wrong but if I want entertainment I'll watch ass monkey garage and get a laugh.

if I want to watch serious car stuff I'll stick to the reruns of "dream car garage" , "American muscle car"  or wheeler dealers

as far as mark is concerned I don't think he'd last 5 mins in any aussie shop someone would of sat him on his ass by now   :yesnod:  his sh*t aint funny

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

UH60L

From a car perspective, it's a great show, and they do some great work.  I absolutely hate reality tv shows and the fake drama etc etc. 

I try to watch the show, but for me, it's like watching the 5 oclock news because they say "coming up on the 5 oclock news, bla bla bla" and then "bla bla bla" isn't on, but they say again as they cut to commercial that it's "coming up".  Bla bla bla ends up not being on until the end of the broadcast, thus suckering you into watching all the other crap.

To see all the MOPAR coolness, you get stuck watching all the drama / reality show stuff...

Hessian

I think it's a great show... sure some of the banter is probably scripted but then what TV show isn't?

As far as Mark goes... I don't think he takes himself too seriously and most of his comments are so over the top but said in a dry deadpan way-which is why it's funny.  At least to me.   :scratchchin:

Personally, I really liked the Phantasm tribute 'cuda.  Although I'm a Charger guy, I had to appreciate the job they did on that one.

In any event, last time I checked it's the only show that exclusively features Mopars so how is that not a great thing for the hobby?

Currently own:
1969 Charger "General Lee" 440
2014 Challenger R/T Blacktop edition

Previously owned:
1969 Charger R/T "Death Proof"
2008 SRT8 Challenger Hemi Orange- First edition #1915 of 6400
1968 Charger 440

Semper Fidelis  USMC Retired 1991-2011

JR

My thoughts on the show are that the majority of Mopar guys who watch the show and tolerate the  stupidity that comes with it mainly do so just to see the cars.

Its like the executives who ok'd the show said "I don't care what crap you fill in between the cars, just give me a show. These dummies will watch anything if you dangle a shiny muscle car in front of them and throw in some buzzwords like "Hemi" and "the pressure is on"."

As far as liking of not liking the people/characters themselves, I don't think that matters to a lot of people.  I don't have to like the people I'm watching to be entertained by them. My problem is that they carry themselves like bumbling, backwoods buffoons, and I find it annoyingly stupid. Either these guys have the mental capacity of a developmentally challenged preteen, or they think their audience does.

Cliff notes: I believe most Mopar guys watch it just to see shots of the cars on the screen, and would watch it no matter who hosted it or how they acted. If the same guys made the same show, but were restoring vintage Nissans or clocks, or trains, I highly doubt most people here would defend it.

Its like garbage reality TV but for Mopar guys.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

bull

Quote from: Paul G on January 06, 2015, 10:47:49 AM
Quote from: moparnation74 on January 06, 2015, 08:33:20 AM
Really, who talks to their friends in that manner.  Name calling, belittling, and the arrogance.

That is Marks character. He might have that type of personality in real life? I probably would not have lasted a week working in that shop. A person like Mark would get back two fold from me what he dishes out. Since he is the boss, I dont think I would be employed by him very long. But, I have not seen him treat Derrick that way. I think that is his name? The guy who does all the work.  

Where I work it's very common for guys to mess with each other. I have worked in a lot of different kinds of businesses and the more blue collar the job the thicker your skin has to be. If I took the same habits I've learned at my current job to some office setting I could have everyone crying by noon.

bill440rt

Quote from: JR on January 16, 2015, 10:44:56 AM
My thoughts on the show are that the majority of Mopar guys who watch the show and tolerate the  stupidity that comes with it mainly do so just to see the cars.

Its like the executives who ok'd the show said "I don't care what crap you fill in between the cars, just give me a show. These dummies will watch anything if you dangle a shiny muscle car in front of them and throw in some buzzwords like "Hemi" and "the pressure is on"."

As far as liking of not liking the people/characters themselves, I don't think that matters to a lot of people.  I don't have to like the people I'm watching to be entertained by them. My problem is that they carry themselves like bumbling, backwoods buffoons, and I find it annoyingly stupid. Either these guys have the mental capacity of a developmentally challenged preteen, or they think their audience does.

Cliff notes: I believe most Mopar guys watch it just to see shots of the cars on the screen, and would watch it no matter who hosted it or how they acted. If the same guys made the same show, but were restoring vintage Nissans or clocks, or trains, I highly doubt most people here would defend it.

That's an accurate assessment.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Quote from: bill440rt on January 16, 2015, 02:44:58 PM
Quote from: JR on January 16, 2015, 10:44:56 AM
My thoughts on the show are that the majority of Mopar guys who watch the show and tolerate the  stupidity that comes with it mainly do so just to see the cars.

As far as liking of not liking the people/characters themselves, I don't think that matters to a lot of people.  I don't have to like the people I'm watching to be entertained by them. My problem is that they carry themselves like bumbling, backwoods buffoons, and I find it annoyingly stupid. Either these guys have the mental capacity of a developmentally challenged preteen, or they think their audience does.

That's an accurate assessment.  :yesnod:

I watch to catch inaccuracies.  :D  Its like a train wreck at times, but the TWPS ratio "things wrong per show" has improved.  

keith88

Bull wrote:
Where I work it's very common for guys to mess with each other. I have worked in a lot of different kinds of businesses and the more blue collar the job the thicker your skin has to be. If I took the same habits I've learned at my current job to some office setting I could have everyone crying by noon.

I worked in a body shop and it was the same none of it was ever meant to be little...i think some people here haven't been in that environment and dont understand it.

JR

Quote from: keith88 on January 16, 2015, 04:33:56 PM

I worked in a body shop and it was the same none of it was ever meant to be little...i think some people here haven't been in that environment and dont understand it.

Its not that at all. Let's face it, we're old Dodge enthusiasts. I'm pretty certain by default most of us are blue collar, hands on kinda work guys. (I started out doing bodywork and now work inside an auto manufacturing plant full time).

My problem with the show is the humor is uncreative, juvenile, and not funny or entertaining at all.

I don't find it funny when one 8 year old calls another 8 year old a stupid head. Nor do I find it funny  or entertaining when a grown man calls another grown man "Long Turd" and shadow boxes the camera. Both cases are equal as far as I'm concerned.

I'm nowhere near offended, but I would need to be 10 years old or suffer a serious head injury to find either entertaining.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

moparnation74

Quote from: JR on January 16, 2015, 06:10:39 PM

Its not that at all. Let's face it, we're old Dodge enthusiasts. I'm pretty certain by default most of us are blue collar, hands on kinda work guys. (I started out doing bodywork and now work inside an auto manufacturing plant full time).

My problem with the show is the humor is uncreative, juvenile, and not funny or entertaining at all.

I don't find it funny when one 8 year old calls another 8 year old a stupid head. Nor do I find it funny  or entertaining when a grown man calls another grown man "Long Turd" and shadow boxes the camera. Both cases are equal as far as I'm concerned.

I'm nowhere near offended, but I would need to be 10 years old or suffer a serious head injury to find either entertaining.

EXACTLY!

To say that most of of do not understand the blue collar environment is a very Inaccurate Assessment!  I also started out in the work environment as a mechanic and later a painter/body man. Sorry, I do not work in that environment anymore! People did joke around but that was tasteful humor.  The cheap humor in the show is tasteless.

It does not offend me either but it does make it frustrating to watch the show.  

Gas Monkey Garage humor is tasteful and hence enjoyable to watch! Thats entertaining but GYC pails in comparison.  Also, when people come up to me or my friends at car shows and reference GYC.  They all say the same thing, "Cool cars but man they are annoying to listen to."  The majority are also blue collar folks too by the way.  Just stating what the public agrees with.

2592 creston

Quote from: moparnation74 on January 17, 2015, 06:36:12 PM

EXACTLY!

To say that most of of do not understand the blue collar environment is a very Inaccurate Assessment!  I also started out in the work environment as a mechanic and later a painter/body man. Sorry, I do not work in that environment anymore! People did joke around but that was tasteful humor.  The cheap humor in the show is tasteless.

Gas Monkey Garage humor is tasteful and hence enjoyable to watch! Thats entertaining but GYC pails in comparison.  Also, when people come up to me or my friends at car shows and reference GYC.  They all say the same thing, "Cool cars but man they are annoying to listen to."  They are also blue collar folks too by the way. 

Very interesting that all these people come up to you at car shows and reference GYC! Also that they tell you what they do for a living and they are all blue collar workers and they all say the same thing!!... Very interesting!!!

moparnation74

Quote from: 2592 creston on January 17, 2015, 06:51:31 PM

EXACTLY!

Gas Monkey Garage humor is tasteful and hence enjoyable to watch! Thats entertaining but GYC pails in comparison.  Also, when people come up to me or my friends at car shows and reference GYC.  They all say the same thing, "Cool cars but man they are annoying to listen to."  They are also blue collar folks too by the way. 

Very interesting that all these people come up to you at car shows and reference GYC! Also that they tell you what they do for a living and they are all blue collar workers and they all say the same thing!!... Very interesting!!!
I said "majority"  Read the post creston.  Small talk is not uncommon at shows.  People are curious to what one does for a living, where they reside, and what other vehicles they have and likewise.  It's called conversation.  Hey, just stating what they relayed.

As I have said, "love the cars and the resto material but the childish humor is tasteless."  I would love for the show to follow the tasteful humor of other reality TV programs.  I do not believe that any of us would want to see the show fail but we would love to see improvements to the "entertainment" portion.

keith88

I don't find it funny when one 8 year old calls another 8 year old a stupid head. Nor do I find it funny  or entertaining when a grown man calls another grown man "Long Turd" and shadow boxes the camera. Both cases are equal as far as I'm concerned.

EXACTLY!

To say that most of of do not understand the blue collar environment is a very Inaccurate Assessment!  I also started out in the work environment as a mechanic and later a painter/body man. Sorry, I do not work in that environment anymore! People did joke around but that was tasteful humor.  The cheap humor in the show is tasteless.

Gas Monkey Garage humor is tasteful and hence enjoyable to watch! Thats entertaining but GYC pails in comparison.  Also, when people come up to me or my friends at car shows and reference GYC.  They all say the same thing, "Cool cars but man they are annoying to listen to."  The majority are also blue collar folks too by the way.  Just stating what the public agrees with.

I never said Blue collar environment, all I said was that i once worked in a body shop that had the same type of insults none of it meant to be down grading. Just some peoples way of communicating i suppose. Some people just play that way I guess, at any rate it dont bother me any.