News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heads and intake

Started by Lorence, January 04, 2015, 03:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorence

I have basically a stock 1967 383. Wondering if I pull the heads and open up my intake and exhaust ports how much performance could I expect as a result and what intake would I need to use to help?  Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Challenger340

Quote from: Lorence on January 04, 2015, 03:20:01 PM
I have basically a stock 1967 383. Wondering if I pull the heads and open up my intake and exhaust ports how much performance could I expect as a result and what intake would I need to use to help?  Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is it a 1967 Factory 2-BBL ? or 4-BBL Engine ?
the reason I ask.... is the Engines had different "Camshafts" ?
Opening up the ports may have little to NO effect depending upon the Camshaft present ?

Best suggestion I can make, is that if you are so inclined to "port" the Heads while they are off, consider a Camshaft upgrade at the same time for BEST and "noticeable" results/improvement.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Lorence

It's a 4 barrel motor. Wanted to make it cheap as possible so didn't really want to pull cam. I know what you're saying that's why I asked about heads.  So if 4barrel motor would it be worth it to pull heads and buy and intake that will work best.  If you can maybe guesstimate numbers that would help. 

XH29N0G

How everything responds will also depend on the health of the bottom end.  I interpret your post to mean that this is the original engine and that it has not been rebuilt.  Is this the case?  If so, you may want to do some other tests (like compression tests) to evaluate the condition of the bottom end.  I am not the one to know the right answer to your question, but there are people on the list (the last responder being one of them) who will give sound advice.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....