News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

build specs for '69 - '70 racing Hemi?

Started by preid, January 03, 2015, 01:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

preid

Has anyone been able to come up w/ the actual Hemi racing engine build specs/tolerances/tuning that Nichels used at his Go Fast Factory when building engines for NASCAR before they were banned?  Curious if anyone has been able to re-produce an equivalent racing Hemi from that era.  Did some searches on here but couldn't really find anything.
thanks.   

Challenger340

What Build Specs / Tolerances were you looking for specifically ?

They were using the old Vandervell Bearing eccentricities on Dinosauer Oil, and allowing for just a little more "pinch" on the parting lines with crappy fastener tech(Rods & Mains) than Today's Clevitte, King or FM's.
.0005" undercut sizings on the Cranks were the standard starting point, then tightening Bore Housings to get where they needed to be.

A long gone "proper" way of doing things LOST in Todays world of El cheapo offshore Cranks & Stroker Kits.

Funny,
but even still Today... if you order a "top of the Line" Callies Crank, it will probably still come ground that way to allow REAL Builders to do their work !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

preid

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 03, 2015, 03:31:07 PM
What Build Specs / Tolerances were you looking for specifically ?

They were using the old Vandervell Bearing eccentricities on Dinosauer Oil, and allowing for just a little more "pinch" on the parting lines with crappy fastener tech(Rods & Mains) than Today's Clevitte, King or FM's.
.0005" undercut sizings on the Cranks were the standard starting point, then tightening Bore Housings to get where they needed to be.

A long gone "proper" way of doing things LOST in Todays world of El cheapo offshore Cranks & Stroker Kits.

Funny,
but even still Today... if you order a "top of the Line" Callies Crank, it will probably still come ground that way to allow REAL Builders to do their work !

Mainly curious if anyone ever documented their process from start to finish, I've read various articles that only generalize how they were built but haven't found anything more than that.  Really interested in two things: 
1) Differences between what the REAL builders (like you mentioned) do/did and what is commonly done at most shops today
2) Trying to better understand what all they did to make a race engine back in the day (vs a production engine)
Not a builder, myself, just trying to learn more and this site seems to be the best resource for details.
thanks,
paul