News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

833 4 speed rebuild questions.

Started by Dmichels, January 10, 2015, 03:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

I have decided to pull the trans apart as part of my ongoing issues. See http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,115465.0.html if you need to get up to speed. I have not found anything glaring with the clutch yet so I am continuing with the trans I do not want to have to pull this apart again. I do not have any issues with the trans popping out of gear, just getting into 1st. I have a few questions. The 1-2 syncro slider has a lot of free play on the syncro hub. This is without the strut keys I think the hub has a lot of wear as the slider is new. I am comparing this to the 3-4 syncro assy which is new and much tighter. Can this be an issue. The drive teeth were the syncro hub engages are not that great on some of the gears I do not now how bad is cause for replacement. I read that rounded over teeth cause the trans to pop out of gear, which is not my issue.   Lastly I have heard some replacement syncro rings on the market were bad. When a press the rings down on the cone and turn they do not really grab as I think they should. Sorry about all the questions.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Rolling_Thunder

First thing I would do would be inspect all splines on the 1-2 synchro assembly for any small burs, that could easily cause a difficulty getting into first gear. A weak synchro ring for the "dog leg" pieces would cause the trans to pop out of gear I believe....     :Twocents:

Also be sure to inspect the synchro and the teeth on the gear...     I'm betting because one is new and one is old there is a slight mismatch that needs to either be filed or worn for a smoother engagement....      :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip