News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flexplate '67 440 with '72 TF 727 - balancing?

Started by 72Charger-SE, January 02, 2015, 10:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

As I am working towards a marriage between the '67 440 to the '72 727 TF I am needing some information on flywheels.  I have the original flywheel, which appears to be in good shape, from the '72 400 BB.  Is this something that can be used with the '67 440 BB?  OR do I need a completely different flywheel?  The 440 will have around 425HP with a built 727 TF, 8 3/4 Suregrip with 3:55 gears.  This is a 'street car' not a 'race car'.  I am planning on a 2200 stall converter.  I am confused on the 'balancing' concept of the flywheel and what is internal balancing vs. external balancing.  Thanks & GOD Bless, Chad

Ghoste

All crankshafts should be balanced to keep from flying apart at high rpm.  The 400 has a cast crank which the factory balanced externally by adding weight where needed on the flywheel like you wold on a tire.  Your 67 440 has a forged crankshaft which allowed them to balance it internally by drilling holes in counterweights to remove some weight where needed.
Make sense?  (and yes, you need to match like to like back there)

72Charger-SE

Ghoste, yes your explanation is great on the balancing of the crank shaft.  Should I conclude that I need a different flywheel than the current one on the 400 block for the 440 since the crank shafts are of not the same (cast vs. forged) in the two blocks?  Sorry for the basic questions.. 

Thanks.

BSB67

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on January 02, 2015, 11:43:17 AM
Ghoste, yes your explanation is great on the balancing of the crank shaft.  Should I conclude that I need a different flywheel than the current one on the 400 block for the 440 since the crank shafts are of not the same (cast vs. forged) in the two blocks?  Sorry for the basic questions.. 

Thanks.

I get easily confused.  Are you talking about the flexplate?  I believe that the Chrysler factory BB flex plates are neutral balanced.  Only dampers, flywheels and torque converters could be off-set weighted to account for their not-internally offerings.  I would not bet on my statement however...

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

ACUDANUT

Fly wheels are for manual transmission.  Make sure the get the correct torque converter.  Your crank determines that.  Cast and forged use different T.C

John_Kunkel

The only difference you might find between the 440 and 400 flexplates is the drive bolt circle dimension.

The '67 flexplate bolt circle is 11" but the '72 could be either 10" or 11"....use the one that matches the converter.

Satan rules.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Yes sorry, I was only speaking to the balance issue not the transmission type.

BSB67

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 02, 2015, 02:05:19 PM

The only difference you might find between the 440 and 400 flexplates is the drive bolt circle dimension.

The '67 flexplate bolt circle is 11" but the '72 could be either 10" or 11"....use the one that matches the converter.

Satan rules.

John, what about bolt hole sizes, are they all clearanced for 7/16" even if the 5/16" is used in the TC, or are there different sizes in different flex plates?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

John_Kunkel

Since the OP was contemplating only a "2200 converter" (no such thing) I assumed it would have the normal 5/16" bolt thread.

72Charger-SE

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 03, 2015, 04:23:12 PM

Since the OP was contemplating only a "2200 converter" (no such thing) I assumed it would have the normal 5/16" bolt thread.

Well...  there you have it... my entire range of knowledge on torque converters...  :)  I don't even know the correct options... which is true...  I believe 2400 is what I was thinking...   :)   Good catch...

John_Kunkel

72Charger-SE

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 04, 2015, 03:53:52 PM

No such thing as a 2400 converter either.

Perhaps I am missing something?  2400 Stall Torque Converter...  I see them online all over the place.. ?? 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on January 04, 2015, 04:43:17 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 04, 2015, 03:53:52 PM

No such thing as a 2400 converter either.

Perhaps I am missing something?  2400 Stall Torque Converter...  I see them online all over the place.. ?? 

Stall speed depends on power input; a converter that stalls at 2400 on one engine might stall at 1800 on another and 2800 on yet another.

Stall speed is a convenient way to advertise a converter but it's deceptive.