News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you actually use your Charger for?

Started by JR, December 29, 2014, 11:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Just wondering. I thought this would be an interesting topic:  What are your favorite things to do with your Chargers?

What's your "thing"? Car shows? The build itself? The constant wrenching? The restoration process? Crusing? Racing?

What's your thing?

My thing is actually driving the car. I love jumping in and driving anywhere. Makes the trip feel exciting. Even if its just a trip to the grocery store.

I do open track events pretty regularly in another car and love those, but I wouldn't feel comfortable sticking the charger out there. It would just be in the way and probably too cumbersome and wallowly to be any fun there. That said, I'm constantly trying to improve the road manners of it, and maybe one day I'll trust it enough to try a track event in it.

I would, however, love to find a point to point vintage road rally to run this year. For some reason, they're quite hard to find in the Southeast. Other parts of the U.S. seem to have them frequently. It's on my list of things to do this year. One way or another.

So, for the point of discussion, whats your favorite thing to do with your Charger? What makes you put up with all the time and expense? What makes you "tick"?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

moparnation74

Sometimes,  I just sit in my garage and gaze at my mopars, drinking a beer or two and watching TV.  I restored 90%+ of my rides myself.  My muscle car free time consists of cruising and shows.

The tick, well I was born and raised into Mother Mopar! I bleed Mopar and Piss Chevy!

metallicareload99

1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

1974dodgecharger

Kern Dog

What do I use mine for?
Burnouts.
Drifting.
Annoying people in slow, ugly economy cars.
Hanging corners.
Feeding the economy via parts and gasoline taxes.
Impressing chicks that can appreciate fine Detroit iron.
Scaring the wife.
Impressing the wife.
Impressing myself.

b5blue

Lately I use it to run up my credit cards so they can in turn drain my bank account. The car tells me what it wants and I get/do it ASAP.  :lol:

Road Dog

Weekend Cruiser. I hunt Rocks/Arrowheads. It goes off road to places I can't take the new vehicles.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

myk

Male inadequacy.  Driving a car like this allows me the illusion of being a bigger, better man than I actually am.  Take away the Charger and there's nothing worthy of mention, except for cold, stark, brutal honesty...

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 30, 2014, 04:34:44 AM
What do I use mine for?
Burnouts.
Drifting.
Annoying people in slow, ugly economy cars.
Hanging corners.
Feeding the economy via parts and gasoline taxes.
Impressing chicks that can appreciate fine Detroit iron.
Scaring the wife.
Impressing the wife.
Impressing myself.

Kern that's me in a nutshell  :lol:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

keith88

Mainly summer time use its put away for the winter seeing that it has no heater and to keep salt off of it (they dont need any help rusting up here in the northeast) But during the season- cruises ,shows weekend drives and the occasional drive to work.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

70 sublime

I seem to be at the other end of the thinking

I get the most out of hunting for parts
Talking to people
Taking a pile of parts and making it whole again so it will drive around
Maybe throw some paint on it
Hate buying all the little shinny $$$$ bits to finish them right off
When I get to this point my mind starts to wander and start looking for the next pile of parts to start on  :2thumbs:
I seem to be at that point again now  :icon_smile_big:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

tan top

Quote from: b5blue on December 30, 2014, 06:31:58 AM
Lately I use it to run up my credit cards so they can in turn drain my bank account. The car tells me what it wants and I get/do it ASAP.  :lol:

:lol:  think we can all relate to that one B5B   :lol: :icon_smile_blackeye: :cryin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

comet_666

I really don't know. Last time I drove it 8 years ago it was the General Lee (clone) and it ran like crap / broke down all the time. I still loved driving it though. Now that it is nearing completion of the restoration I am getting antsy to get in it that first time again and fire it up and take it down the road. My goal this year is to drive it to as many car shows in upstate NY as I can hit and maybe hit the track once to see what it will do. I am even looking forward to the backseat driving my gf will do  ;D

skip68

The top two things for me was smoking the tires and just looking at it when parked.   There's an old saying, "some guys like to wrench on their rides on the weekend and some like to drive theirs, which one are you"   
I like to drive mine.   Which is another reason I'd never own a Harley.    :rofl:   
Then again,  I'd imagine Harley sells their bikes with roadside assistance.    :smilielol:  Sorry guys.     :icon_smile_big:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

6pkrtse

I drive mine on every nice day I can. I take it to the store, auto parts store etc. I drive it back & forth to work. I take it to car shows, swap meets, cruise nights. It is put away for winter now though. I still break it out every now & then since we still haven't got much snow yet here. Not asking for snow to come again anytime soon either.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

TUFCAT

Jumping over creeks, ravines, bridges, cop cars, semi's....you know, the usual stuff.  :icon_smile_wink:

twodko

I'm blessed in many ways to live in NorCal for its moderate climate
despite this being the PRK so I can drive it anytime.
I take it to as many car shows and cruise-ins as I have time for.
There is also the monthly Sunday drive or two.
My car is a fully restored driver not a trailer queen but I never
take it to the any stores etc........ever.
I delight in revving it's 440 next to the ultralib green weenies
in their Prious's and the opportunity to enjoy a burnout or two.
Then there is the upkeep and simply taking the bag off it to
bask in the Mopar splendor of it.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Old Moparz

To keep useless crap off the floor.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

jaak

Great Topic, enjoy reading all the different responses!

To me I guess it is 2 part. First I love the build. I love hunting for the best deal on what I need, searching CL's, eBay, and classifieds like on this forum. And I like doing the work myself. I like taking on a component at a time until it's finished. Sort of where I am at with my 68 right now (even though I haven't got to do much the last few months). To me a project is sort of theraputic, go out to the garage, turn the radio onto a game or sports talk, and start wrenching, sanding, painting, etc.

Next part is driving, enjoying my hard work. These cars are meant to be driven. I take it out a quite of bit when the weather is nice, and sometimes when it isn't. Case in point, the alternator went out on my daily driver the other day (Beater Dakota). I was wanting to rebuild the alternator, but no one carries the parts locally, so I decided to buy a reman unit at Auto Zone. It was a couple of days before Christmas, wife was at work it was a rainy, cold, nasty day, but had to drive the 69 to go get parts and run a couple of other errands. At first I was sort of nervous having to get it out in those conditions, but everything went fine... car got a little dirty, but so what. Which brings me to my next point (and something else that makes you 'tick'), when driving a car regularly to leads to more work 'wrenching' on your car, so I guess it's never a finished project. After having the 69 on the road over 2 years now, it's getting about time to freshen up some of the paint in the engine compartment, fix a couple of small leaks, and sometime soon, I got to break out the paint gun, and repair a couple of small places on the paint (maybe a project for this spring).

I like going to car shows... to look at cars, get ideas, and to rummage around swap meets, but I don't enjoy 'showing' my car. I have actually drove my Charger to car shows, but it was parked in the parking lot, not entered in the show. It was discussed in another thread, I put it in a couple of shows for charity, but I didn't enjoy that... not my thing.

Cooter

Quote from: myk on December 30, 2014, 07:01:53 AM
Male inadequacy.  Driving a car like this allows me the illusion of being a bigger, better man than I actually am.  Take away the Charger and there's nothing worthy of mention, except for cold, stark, brutal honesty...

Bout the most honest answer I've heard in a long long time.
LMAO!
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69rtse4spd

Right now, more storeage space, only good thing about it being up on jack stands is the damn mice won't get into it, I hope. :lol:.

69wannabe

Quote from: Cooter on December 30, 2014, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: myk on December 30, 2014, 07:01:53 AM

Bout the most honest answer I've heard in a long long time.
LMAO!

LOL, I can relate!! I only weigh 140lbs so I really don't fit the car that well. Still I fell like i'm 10 feet tall and bulletproof driving it!!!!!  :rofl:  My charger is used for cruising mostly and I like other people's reaction's when I pull up beside them at red light's.

histoy

For cruise-ins, car shows, and collecting stares...

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

rt green

garage art right now. child support ends in june
third string oil changer