News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For Sale 1969 Daytona 49,871 org miles all org sheet metal exc. condition

Started by customshop1, December 29, 2014, 10:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Quote from: Q5XX29 on January 05, 2015, 02:06:44 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on January 05, 2015, 01:10:56 AM
WOW! So many comments on one Daytona!
I just read through from the beginning and would like to add also.
I agree with the CONCOURS and OE definitions but would like to add
that a CONCOURS show normally uses a 1,000 point sheet where OE can be 2,000 to 2,500 points more based on original parts!
I agree with the $100,000 price tag for an OE restoration and maybe more now unless you have a stash of NOS?
The parts are going up and more details are always being added. Things like dip lines on the inner firewall for example!
The F6 is a nice color but with close to 10% of the production and second highest production no premium for me on color.
Matching number motor and trans are a big premium but not as much to a guy buying a driver.
Watch the auctions later this month and you'll really get confused on the CUSTOMS!
In the end you need to know where you want to be and if you can get there with the repairs and parts needed?
MJ

Beautiful Daytona in your avatar. Is that blue or turquoise, and real daytona or clone?
Thanks Q5XX29! It's a real B5 Daytona that I've owned since 1982.
It has been restored and I shared our journey here on DC.COM!
The post is "MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA AND MORE".
Read through it sometime and enjoy!
MJ

hemigeno

Quote from: ws23rt on January 04, 2015, 07:00:17 PM
Quote from: johntpr on January 04, 2015, 04:36:48 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on January 03, 2015, 09:32:34 PM
Anyone else know of a full-VIN stamped Daytona engine?  :scratchchin: I don't.]

My thoughts exactly.  

This is new to me.  Is It the case that only partial vins were stamped on Daytona's?---What is the case with C500 engine vin stampings?
My C500 engine has the full vin on it. :shruggy:

Rule of thumb would be that C500s should have a full VIN, and Daytonas should have a partial VIN.  Danny can explain much more about how the C500's had both "XS" and "XX" engine stampings (sometimes double/over-struck), but there should be a full stamp during the run of C500s AFAIK.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on January 05, 2015, 11:50:50 AM

My former C500 had the full VIN on both the engine block and tranny pad......

My thoughts exactly.  

[/quote]

This is new to me.  Is It the case that only partial vins were stamped on Daytona's?---What is the case with C500 engine vin stampings?
[/quote]

Rule of thumb would be that C500s should have a full VIN, and Daytonas should have a partial VIN.  Danny can explain much more about how the C500's had both "XS" and "XX" engine stampings (sometimes double/over-struck), but there should be a full stamp during the run of C500s AFAIK.

[/quote]
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi-hampton

that a CONCOURS show normally uses a 1,000 point sheet where OE can be 2,000 to 2,500 points more based on original parts!
I agree with the $100,000 price tag for an OE restoration and maybe more now unless you have a stash of NOS?
The parts are going up and more details are always being added. Things like dip lines on the inner firewall for example!
The F6 is a nice color but with close to 10% of the production and second highest production no premium for me on color.
Matching number motor and trans are a big premium but not as much to a guy buying a driver.
Watch the auctions later this month and you'll really get confused on the CUSTOMS!
In the end you need to know where you want to be and if you can get there with the repairs and parts needed?
MJ

Curious, would a dip line on inner firewall be visable to the average guy? Or is this something you would have to pull the carpet back on or climb under dash with flashlight to see? LEON.

charger Downunder

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 05, 2015, 05:20:58 PM
MJ

Curious, would a dip line on inner firewall be visable to the average guy? Or is this something you would have to pull the carpet back on or climb under dash with flashlight to see? LEON.

Maybe he meant to say front cowl viewed from in the engine bay area.
[/quote]

Davtona

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 05, 2015, 05:20:58 PM
MJ

Don't think you need to pull carpet back but yes you would have to climb under the dash with a flashlight.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 04, 2015, 04:27:45 PM

No offense to the owner and seller, but 150 for a driver quality Daytona is just not realistic....

Amen brother. I'm guessing the comma doesn't make it that far to the left either....

Q5XX29

Quote from: Mopar John on January 05, 2015, 08:19:27 AM
Quote from: Q5XX29 on January 05, 2015, 02:06:44 AM
MJ

Beautiful Daytona in your avatar. Is that blue or turquoise, and real daytona or clone?
Thanks Q5XX29! It's a real B5 Daytona that I've owned since 1982.
It has been restored and I shared our journey here on DC.COM!
The post is "MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA AND MORE".
Read through it sometime and enjoy!
MJ

Very nice! Excellent thread, thank you for pointing me to it. Great story! Fantastic Daytona.
dakota_gt on Instagram

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on January 05, 2015, 11:50:50 AM
Quote from: ws23rt on January 04, 2015, 07:00:17 PM
Quote from: johntpr on January 04, 2015, 04:36:48 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on January 03, 2015, 09:32:34 PM

My thoughts exactly.  

Rule of thumb would be that C500s should have a full VIN, and Daytonas should have a partial VIN.  Danny can explain much more about how the C500's had both "XS" and "XX" engine stampings (sometimes double/over-struck), but there should be a full stamp during the run of C500s AFAIK.

The same gun was used on engine and transmission to stamp the VIN - they should match.....perfectly....number by number. letter by letter, spacing - everything.  The only consistent exceptions I have seen are a bunch of '71 Hemi's.
For me - without photo's or pad rubbings proof - this is not a matching powertrain - engine or trans.
What is on the top pad of the engine? What is the casting date on the block? What is the 10,000 day date on the trans?

6bblgt

Mytur Binsdirti

It looks like a very nice driver quality car, but it is far from being considered excellent. The surface rust on the inner roof rail moldings, shoulder belts with stretched out elastics that are held up with paper clips, combined with what other have said about rust bubbles & blisters makes me think the car is closer to a #3, which is still nothing to be ashamed of. However, overinflating a car's condition is a real turn off to potential buyers.

6bblgt

QuoteIt looks like a very nice driver quality car, but it is far from being considered excellent. The surface rust on the inner roof rail moldings, shoulder belts with stretched out elastics that are held up with paper clips, combined with what other have said about rust bubbles & blisters makes me think the car is closer to a #3, which is still nothing to be ashamed of. However, overinflating a car's condition is a real turn off to potential buyers.

I agree.  Who's interior is that?  PG, Legendary, PUI?

Got pics of the dash & gauge cluster?

IMO, RESTAMPED VIN  on the engine - got a pic of the top pad?

6bblgt

6bblgt

customshop1

Here is all of the info I have on it.  I am just going by what I have been told.  I am not trying to tell you anything fake or false  I am  only  telling you the info I have been given  If I was trying to hid anything I would not even have posted any of this.
If anyone can verify the info  here please do so.  I dont understand  how it can have the vin stamps that match  if its  not the  matching  stuff.
thnx

moparnation74

The stamps on the drive train is concerning.

The aero guys will chime in soon.

magnumauto

After seeing the close up pictures of the motor and trans VIN ( good for you John for taking them and not hiding behind anything) I think it is pretty obvious the motor is not original to the car. It was VERY hard to see laying on the floor and my camera would not fit up in there to take a picture so I could see it later on my computer screen. Trans is still a mystery to me but could possibly be original to the car?
Again, John is not a Mopar guy, he asked for input from people who should know to best describe the car to potential buyers(which a customer of mine still may be) since he does not know what to look for.
It is a great car no matter what and hopefully it finds a good home. I still think it would be a good car to drive and enjoy!!
So, so far a few have priced it between $70K and $100K, anybody else care to offer an opinion as to it's current value?

Mark

Wingnut426

In the interior pics the trim around the windshield and rear window is black, shouldn't it all be white?  Also the kick panels are black. Just asking.  Also would like to see the trim tag.  WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible