News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For Sale 1969 Daytona 49,871 org miles all org sheet metal exc. condition

Started by customshop1, December 29, 2014, 10:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 06, 2015, 04:48:09 PM

IMO, RESTAMPED VIN  on the engine - got a pic of the top pad?

The numbers are all over the place. Definitely restamped.

Quote from: magnumauto on January 06, 2015, 05:49:31 PM

So, so far a few have priced it between $70K and $100K, anybody else care to offer an opinion as to it's current value?

Mark

I was basing the condition on my car which i thought was in similar condition but from what I see now, I'm down to 75-8 and it should be pretty salable at that price as long as the seller is up front with everything. I'd be bummed and pissed if I had to travel any real distance to find out on my own that the engine was restamped and it was not disclosed.

TUFCAT

Its a genuine Daytona in very good restorable condition considering the number of years it been on this planet.....there's been much worse cars saved from the dead.

Considering this Daytona is genuine and authentic,  it still requires an enormous amount of detail work to get to the concourse quality presentation it deserves (non-numbers matching considered).   The big money here is the details....so I agree with Turban a good number for both the buyer and seller should be around $75-80K.  

This car presents okay, but Daytona's in todays world need total restorations or they might not leave the garage. This car could need $40-50K breathed on it to turn it into a show worthy, high value, blue chip collectible....and its never going to be a numbers matching car.

The "all original" comment in the tile is misleading.  :brickwall:   At sometime this car was restored to lower than today's standards.  Now it needs a complete restoration from stem to stern. In my view the past restoration adds zero value.....in fact it might be a reduction.

69_500

Basing it off of two other Daytona's I know of that have recently been sold. I would say $85-95k would put it right in line with the ones that have changed hands recently in this condition.

hemigeno

Quote from: magnumauto on January 03, 2015, 02:09:59 PM
trans is a bit of a mystery as it has a partial VIN and starts with 0B instead of 9B but the rest of the VIN matches and has the correct 1969 440 HP PK number stamped in it. Could be a factory mistake?

Mark

Mark,

Do you (or someone else) have the full PK stamping including the assembly date code?

ACUDANUT

Quote from: customshop1 on January 06, 2015, 04:50:21 PM
engine stamp

HP means nothing.  (except in these rare numbers matching scenarios)   All it means, that it has HP exhaust, a four barrel  carb and a Windage tray in the oil pan.  Nothing special.  Do your research.

pettybird

That engine VIN stamp is beyond terrible...one of the worst fakes I've seen.  

Like Maxwellwedge stated earlier the same stamp was used for the engine and transmission, and the same guy stamped both of them at the same time.  The drivetrain was marked at the vehicle assembly plant and not at the engine and transmission plants.

I'm not saying the owner knows or is being dishonorable--I've seen plenty of doctored cars where the owner simply took the previous guy's word for it.

The car looks very nice and 69_500's price estimation is what this car's worth.  The white interior is a huge plus.

I'll be less kind to you, though.  You said the car is at your shop, which appears to be a very nice restoration shop with not one but two E bodies in it.  You described a non-running car with a tattered interior, bubbled paint, dull trim and a chassis with enough surface rust as to mention it as a "Cream Puff" even though you have built multiple SEMA display cars.  You and your two Mopar "Gurus" missed the Fisher Price engine stamping.  You don't know the difference between Galen's simple tag decoding from a photo/ pencil rubbing and a full, in person inspection for a car that "has been looked over and code check by Galen Govier  to be all correct."  You don't know that the engine and transmission stamps should at LEAST be in the same font family.

Either you're out of your depth or trying to be clever.

If it's the second, take your shenanigans elsewhere.  If it's the first, find "gurus" who actually know what they're talking about, and come to places like this where you can get a lot of information from people who eat, sleep and breathe these cars.  

If you plan on sticking around, post up pics of the AAR, its stamps and its documentation.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious about that one, too.  

70Sbird

I havent been on the computer much in that last few weeks, so sorry if I'm late to the party here with my 2 cents. I have seen this car in person at a grocery store in Normal Illinois somewhere around 1986 - 1988. I had parked in front of the car in my old Valiant and was hoping to strike up a conversation with the owner when he came out of the store.
He was somewhat hurried and it was a short conversation but I asked if it was a 440 or a Hemi and he replied it was a 383! Now I wasnt sure how to take that and I wasnt about to argue with the cars owner about his engine size....maybe it really was????

Prior to this sighting, I had seen the car multiple times as well. One of the previous owners (or maybe this same guy) owned/ran a used car lot in Normal and this Daytona sat on the side of the lot next to a building at that location for some time, of course it was not for sale as it belonged to the owner of the lot. One of the times I stopped by to ask about the car the salesman had told me the story of two fools (the owner and a potential buyer that had offered $15,000 for the car) one fool for offering that much and the other for not taking it. Then the car disappeared for a while until i saw it again at the store.

Scott Faulkner

customshop1

well first off.  I build Custom Cars for a living and have for 26 years.  I can tell you this is an amazing body for 1969,  I have NEVER had this clean of a car  that came from
the mid west in my shop. we usually are replacing floors, qtrs, fenders, rockers.  ect. so to me  this car is a Cream Puff.
The int.  was all out of the car so I cleaned it up and reinstalled it the best I could  again for a 45 year old car  its  very very nice.
the engine and trans I had guys look at it and tell me there opinion  so I passed it on.. if I was trying to hide anything  why would I share the pics
on here.
the thing I do know is it is all org qtr panels,  Doors, trunks floor, fenders, nose, wing, they are all in Great shape.
as I said befor it had some very minor repair done on the rear qtrs.
Take it for whats its worth I am trying to be as honest as I can  anyone is more then welcome to come see the car.
Its NOT my car I am only trying to help a a friend out he is in Bad health and wants the car to go to a good home.
if anyone wants to come see the car  and look it over let me know.

A383Wing

Quote from: Wingnut426 on January 06, 2015, 05:54:06 PM
In the interior pics the trim around the windshield and rear window is black, shouldn't it all be white?  Also the kick panels are black. Just asking.  Also would like to see the trim tag.  WINGNUT

they never made white kick panels

and from what I know, the trim around the inside rear was black also

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

hemi-hampton

It was hard to see the #'s so I blew them up. Close up. They sure look inconsistant & uneven :scratchchin:

held1823

i'm for just parting it out. put the VIN and fender tags in one lot, the wing and window plug in separate lots, etc.

i got dibs on the front eighteen inches worth of sheet metal
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi-hampton

"The parts are going up and more details are always being added. Things like dip lines on the inner firewall for example!"

Whats next, duplicating the factory dip line under the 1/4 panels? I made the mistake of painting over this one. LEON.

charger_fan_4ever

Awesome wingr. I prefer the c500 to the daytonas, but wow the f6 wingr is  :drool5:
the f6 combo may sway me.

held1823

Quote from: 69_500 on January 06, 2015, 07:12:31 PM
Basing it off of two other Daytona's I know of that have recently been sold. I would say $85-95k would put it right in line with the ones that have changed hands recently in this condition.

bingo
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69hemidaytona

It's very obvious that the engine is a restamp. The transmission stamp looks a lot more authentic although I have not compared it side by side with other stampings that are known to be authentic. What's strange is that if somebody did restamp the transmission, why would they make such an error as having a 0 instead of a 9? Is it possible that it is the original transmission that has a stamping error? :shruggy:

pettybird

Over here in the sunny and salt free paradise of Cleveland, rust free alone does not qualify for the archaic term of "cream puff."  I work at a classic car dealership--if we'd bought a car on your description we'd be demanding our money back.

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 06, 2015, 08:49:17 PM
It was hard to see the #'s so I blew them up. Close up. They sure look inconsistant & uneven :scratchchin:

They're not even remotely close to the right font, or size, or spacing...

Here's a font chart (pdf) at mmcdetroit.comhttp://mmcdetroit.com/images/vin/General%20from%20ICCA%20manual%201233pm.pdf

font size:

more letters:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: customshop1 on January 06, 2015, 08:44:22 PM
so to me  this car is a Cream Puff.

I think a more honest description would be: solid driver quality car with its 15+ year old paint showing visible paint flaws. Vehicle is an excellent candidate for a full restoration.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 07, 2015, 05:44:18 AM
Quote from: customshop1 on January 06, 2015, 08:44:22 PM
so to me  this car is a Cream Puff.

I think a more honest description would be: solid driver quality car with its 15+ year old paint showing visible paint flaws. Vehicle is an excellent candidate for a full restoration.

I agree. I would also say non-original powertrain. I love the combo - F6/White. If it was a stick I would seriously consider making an offer on it.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 06, 2015, 08:14:19 PM
Quote from: customshop1 on January 06, 2015, 04:50:21 PM
engine stamp

HP means nothing.  All it means, that it has HP exhaust, a four barrel  carb and a Windage tray in the oil pan.  Nothing special.  Do your research.

All these cars should have HP or HP2 on that pad......never seen an original HP engine without one.

Moparpoolman

customshop1, Just curious :scratchchin:, the AAR Cuda you purchased from this same owner, is it matching numbers also?  If Yes, Does the numbers look like the engine of the Daytona?  You might want to look into that car a little deeper to make sure you didn't get a sour deal.  There is recourse and actions that can be taken if in a reasonable amount of time.  You could post pics of it here, I don't think anyone will mind.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Wingnut426 on January 06, 2015, 05:54:06 PM
In the interior pics the trim around the windshield and rear window is black, shouldn't it all be white?  Also the kick panels are black. Just asking.  Also would like to see the trim tag.  WINGNUT

I know for a fact the kick panels and a-pillar should be black. But, I believe the rear window trim was interior color, hence white......
think this is the way it should be..

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

charger Downunder

You wouldn't think a 49,000 miles car would have so many things that have been changed. Must of had a hard life at one stage. If priced right it will sell.
[/quote]