News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

third gen hidden headlight repair

Started by moparguy01, May 10, 2015, 08:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

I have a pair of hidden headlights that broke one side. Has anyone had any luck repairing a broken surround? I thought about trying something called muggyweld, which is a low melting temp solder type stuff.

plum500

I've had mixed results with that low temp stuff. Probably a combination of skill (or lack of) and the material I was working with.

I did try to repair a surround that was cracked all the way through. I was using the Durafix rods. I believe they melt at 700+ and I found I ended up melting the surround before the rod... I ended up with a dripping mess. The parts just turn to soup instantly once they hit the magic temperature. Toasted the surround. Ended up buying a new set.

I did successfully fix some eyelets on grill pieces with the Durafix that turned out to be very strong once repaired. Not sure, maybe because those pieces are denser and it allowed for me to actually work with it.

In hind sight, I'd probably give JB weld a try on the surrounds first. Only problem with that, is if your crack or repair needed is on the outer chrome. Might have to resort to paint, or Alsa Corp chrome paint.

NHCharger

I've had good luck with JB Weld on some items like this.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel