News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stolen cars and pretenders

Started by ws23rt, December 28, 2014, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

A recent thread was corrupted and rightly locked because of the heat that can come from contention. The idea and value for a place to share information we all benefit from is IMO greater than the risk (litigation) some have proposed.

If we see or hear about a rip off or scam what better place than here to bring it to light.  If one were to fear litigation as an excuse to turn a blind eye than that handicaps the authorities and gives a free ticket to the perps.  Who in a neighborhood would close the blinds when they see something wrong going on out side?---Sadly way too many---When someone does call the "cops" do they hesitate and wonder about getting sued?  :shruggy:  Some do.

In another thread a derogatory comment was made about us (DC.com.) to the effect that we were somehow unimportant in our common passion/hobby.  The quote from Ghoste "we are the hobby" came quickly and says it all.  This place is much more than those few that post frequently. The collective involvement we have as a group makes us the last word about what is of value to the hobby. If we all went away to whom would the scammers perhaps profit from?

I recently had a conversation with a potential buyer for a car I am selling and he told me about a C500 that was stolen from him many years ago. He said he still has the old title and will get back to me with the vin.  This sort of thing should be talked about and adds to the history of our cars as well as bringing into the daylight (perhaps) some roaches.

I started this topic to express my opinion and sincerely hope it does not turn into another train wreck.

My hope is that we post any and all information we have about roach cars and provide it to others to use this information as an added tool in their tool box when shopping for (or selling) a car. My further hope is the roach builders will have a harder time at the very least. :Twocents:

Alaskan_TA

Any suspected VIN fraud can be reported to a few places.

https://www.nicb.org/

http://www.iaati.org/default.asp

Local / state authorities also as the case may be.

No one on the right side of the law should have a problem with anyone reporting possible or actual crimes, but if they do, they will identify themselves soon I bet?

Alaskan_TA

For the Canadians - http://www.ibc.ca/on/ & http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/index.shtm

The IAATI has chapters in many other countries as well, links are on the site link in my first reply.

Any LEO that is a 'car guy' is encouraged to join the IAATI, they need more people with 'old' car 13 digit VIN (and older) experience.

polywideblock

Quote from: ws23rt on December 28, 2014, 08:31:47 PM
A recent thread was corrupted and rightly locked because of the heat that can come from contention. The idea and value for a place to share information we all benefit from is IMO greater than the risk (litigation) some have proposed.

If we see or hear about a rip off or scam what better place than here to bring it to light.  If one were to fear litigation as an excuse to turn a blind eye than that handicaps the authorities and gives a free ticket to the perps.  Who in a neighborhood would close the blinds when they see something wrong going on out side?---Sadly way too many---When someone does call the "cops" do they hesitate and wonder about getting sued?  :shruggy:  Some do.

In another thread a derogatory comment was made about us (DC.com.) to the effect that we were somehow unimportant in our common passion/hobby.  The quote from Ghoste "we are the hobby" came quickly and says it all.  This place is much more than those few that post frequently. The collective involvement we have as a group makes us the last word about what is of value to the hobby. If we all went away to whom would the scammers perhaps profit from?

I recently had a conversation with a potential buyer for a car I am selling and he told me about a C500 that was stolen from him many years ago. He said he still has the old title and will get back to me with the vin.  This sort of thing should be talked about and adds to the history of our cars as well as bringing into the daylight (perhaps) some roaches.

I started this topic to express my opinion and sincerely hope it does not turn into another train wreck.

My hope is that we post any and all information we have about roach cars and provide it to others to use this information as an added tool in their tool box when shopping for (or selling) a car. My further hope is the roach builders will have a harder time at the very least. :Twocents:

very well stated  and I'd have to agree   :yesnod:   :cheers:

now wait for those with axes to grind ruin another thread  by taking it totally off topic  :popcrn:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ws23rt

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on December 28, 2014, 08:41:04 PM
Any suspected VIN fraud can be reported to a few places.

https://www.nicb.org/

http://www.iaati.org/default.asp

Local / state authorities also as the case may be.

No one on the right side of the law should have a problem with anyone reporting possible or actual crimes, but if they do, they will identify themselves soon I bet?

Thanks for those links :2thumbs:   The authorities do however need something to work with and I think it's gatherings like this that can eek out what they need to get the job done.
The bigger picture is that a large informed body can put the run of the mill roach back in the dark and save resources.

Is it not true that the first and biggest question that comes up when buying or selling a collector car is how much of it is real?---What is covered up?  ---So I'm a dreamer that things will get better---I also like to look someone in the face and ask them are you attempting to steal from me?-- I just love the look I get from the roach.  It is so telling. :smilielol:

green69rt

Bookmarked.  This is exactly why I frequent this site.  Lots of good info!!

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: polywideblock on December 28, 2014, 08:47:59 PM

Very well stated x 2.

moparnation74

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on December 28, 2014, 09:51:17 PM
Quote from: polywideblock on December 28, 2014, 08:47:59 PM

Very well stated x 2.

Well stated x 3

Patronus

I had a brief encounter with said thread. Not into the drama, but it was entertaining. I'm sure there was some spittle on someone's lip. It's good to keep this hobby clean, the Charger deserves its pedigree to remain intact. With this site and my brothers and sisters here, I'm certain MaMopar would approve.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

The70RT

There is a story on here somewhere about a Charger was stolen from a guys mother and they got it back like 30 some years later. I can't remember the members name though. Then of course their is Lars guy or what ever his name is.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TUFCAT

I agree....  :iagree:

If any members uncover fraud, or hear of some bad apples in this hobby we owe it to ourselves to get the word out. Sometimes it means doing a little police work ourselves just to make sure we've got the i's get dotted and t's get crossed, before turning it over to the proper authorities.

The Mopar hobby is a small tight-knit group so once the "bright lights" of the internet start shining on them....people will eventually start talking.

ws23rt

Not everything we see and hear may be appropriate for posting about but it all comes up for discussion when it does. Our network connection for the common good is why we are here. That connection puts us all in a better position to help each other. --Scam alerts, questions about identification, etc. helps everyone accept the crooks.

skip68

I for one will always and have always spoke out as some of you may know.  
And I do so without worrying of empty legal threats or talk.   I missed what all went on in the thread in reference but had this member "knight" post in my thread ranting of corruption here and with his local police.   Seems fishy.   I do remember a phone number he posted in either my thread or the other. .......I'm thinking I'll call it.   Hey, it's something to do today.    ;)   
Actually I'm not going to waste my time as I already know it won't tell me anything.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

ws23rt, I think you have summed up nicely what most of us felt, thank you.