News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 Crankshafts

Started by randy73, December 24, 2014, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

I can only find 3.31 forged for internally balanced engines, since I am basically replacing the whole bottom end (pistons, rods & crank). The only think I need to do is replace he dampner and fly wheel and then have the rotating assembly balanced, correct?

A383Wing

I thought 340's were all internally balanced? The 360 is the odd-ball that's externally balanced

randy73

No, 72-73 340's are external.

I believe some 318's are and cast crank 383's also.

fy469rtse

Yep that's the difference guy's
Cast and steel , forged cranks , internally and cast externally balanced,

A383Wing

if your 340 is externally balanced, then there may be a weight on the converter as well that needs to be removed?

John_Kunkel

318's were all internally balanced, cast or forged.

Only the late '72 340 was cast, early was still forged. April 11 was the introduction date for the cast crank.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

randy73

Can someone please answer my question?

I am trying to order the parts asap. 

A383, I just put a 46RH in and have a flex plate that is weighted and one that is not.

BSB67

Quote from: randy73 on December 26, 2014, 11:18:52 AM

A383, I just put a 46RH in and have a flex plate that is weighted and one that is not.

Wow.  We were to get that from your original post? Really?  Frankly, I never understood your original post, and even less now.  :shruggy:

What is an A383?

If the rotating assy is, or will be internally balanced, then you can use neutral balanced damper and flex plate, or flywheel, what ever you are using.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

randy73

Quote from: BSB67 on December 26, 2014, 01:33:39 PM
Quote from: randy73 on December 26, 2014, 11:18:52 AM

What is an A383?

Short for A383WING, as in the user A383WING!!

Yes, car is 73, so it is externally balanced, it was only a MINOR detail.  :icon_smile_big:

randy73

I have a 73 340 (externally balanced) and am looking for a stock forged crankshaft (i.e. stock stroke 3.31") and I only see these cranks for internally balanced engines.

So to put a internally balanced crank in my 340, I need to change the dampner and the flywheel?

Sorry, I have to stop posting after a night out.   :icon_smile_big:

John_Kunkel

Yes. Once you install a forged crank, all of which were internally balanced, you need to change to a neutral balanced damper and flywheel.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

randy73