News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why spend 12K on a stroker

Started by ACUDANUT, December 28, 2014, 12:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

If thats the case then I guess I'm a rich man too.  I sure as hell don't feel like it but I sure as hell aint going to apologize for it either.

Cooter

For every "rich man's toy", there will always be those who aren't 'rich', but will sell there souls to play on that field.
Instead of simply stating it's a rich man's toy, they will state how they've gotten it cheap by having it willed to them, or free, or whatever. These types are irrelevant,  as for the basic car guy that refuses to thumb down the Hemi bandwagon, even if it's unpopular, refuses to sell his/her soul for the sake of stating these few words "I own a Hemi". All. The while, not asking for apologies, they do call a spade a spade and refuse to apologize for that.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

So lemme get this straight . . . if you spend $16k on a hot rod car engine then you are a rich man who wastes money chasing an image . . . but if you spend $12k for a different hot rod car engine then you are being smart & practical?

::)

Ghoste

I'm confused also.  There could be genuinely wealthy Hemi owners out there who look at the 12k stroker and think of it as poor mans junk.  There are likely other people out there who can't even afford a daily driver that look at someone with a General Lee and a Christine and a high powered Challenger and so on and that guy thinks, "here I am walking and that guy has a shop full of rich mans toys".

Cooter

When you spend $500.00 on a 440 engine (core).
Spend another $8k for about 700 HP.

You spend $7-14k on a Hemi engine (core)
another $15k (as for example, rocker arms in the 'cheap' line are like $1500.00 for Hemi stuff, where top of line RACING stuff for wedge is $1500.00/T&D), for about 800 HP.

you need a calculator???
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2015, 07:04:31 PM
I'm confused also.  There could be genuinely wealthy Hemi owners out there who look at the 12k stroker and think of it as poor mans junk.  There are likely other people out there who can't even afford a daily driver that look at someone with a General Lee and a Christine and a high powered Challenger and so on and that guy thinks, "here I am walking and that guy has a shop full of rich mans toys".

Funny you mentioned this, as I have a ASSLOAD of people that think this very same thing at cruise night.
I reply by stating I'm usually one of the 'irrelavant' ones as I'm an exception.

Usually, I engage these types in conversation. I begin by asking why they tend to ASSUME this.
it almost always takes a trip to emaginary prices being thrown about by rich people at auctions.

I then ask what kind of vehicle they are driving which usually garners something in the $50k range.
I then inform them that if they added up all my cars it wouldn't pay off their newer truck.  

Ghoste

I don't need a calculator Cooter.  You're missing the point that "rich" is a relative term.  You don't like Hemis and we all get that but to always cast disdain for them using a financial status ruler is just as much a form of elitism as anyone who only wants to be able to say they have a Hemi.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2015, 07:12:33 PM
I don't need a calculator Cooter.  You're missing the point that "rich" is a relative term.  You don't like Hemis and we all get that but to always cast disdain for them using a financial status ruler is just as much a form of elitism as anyone who only wants to be able to say they have a Hemi.

And you are missing the point that everything ALWAYS comes down to money...Always. no exceptions.
I have no problem with the Hemi. I love the Hemi. Hemi rates right on up there with p***y imo.

I just refuse to sell my soul to be a part of the 'elite' by spending insane amounts of money for less power (Hemi=performance right?????), just so I can say I have a Hemi.

Ghoste

So how do you know then that the "rich" guy you want to dis because of the toy he chooses is any different?  If someone wants a Hemi because they want one, what the hell do you care?  How do you know they haven't worked and scraped their ass off to get one?
Oh wait, you already dismissed that type too.

"Instead of simply stating it's a rich man's toy, they will state how they've gotten it cheap by having it willed to them, or free, or whatever. These types are irrelevant,  "

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on January 03, 2015, 07:14:01 PM

And you are missing the point that everything ALWAYS comes down to money...Always. no exceptions.

Bullshit.  

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2015, 07:16:21 PM
Quote from: Cooter on January 03, 2015, 07:14:01 PM

Bullshit.  

Talk about dismissing. ....

Cooter

Hemi requires more $$$$ just get in the game.

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on January 03, 2015, 05:26:41 PM
For every "rich man's toy", there will always be those who aren't 'rich', but will sell there souls to play on that field.
Instead of simply stating it's a rich man's toy, they will state how they've gotten it cheap by having it willed to them, or free, or whatever. These types are irrelevant,  

Absolutely dissing you and hypocritical statements like this one are why.  If someone builds a Hemi on the cheap they are irrelevant but if someone spends the coin to buy one already to go they are nothing but a rich man with toys but if someone points out you have more toys then they do then you need to explain that their values are skewed by auction prices and they couldn't finance their one vehicle with your entire fleet.
That kind of counterstatement deserves to be dissed.  Or maybe I should choose a nicer word like you did and say that your way is irrelevant or calling a spade a spade?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2015, 07:14:56 PM
So how do you know then that the "rich" guy you want to dis because of the toy he chooses is any different?  If someone wants a Hemi because they want one, what the hell do you care?

Cause that's kinda what this thread is about....cost vs power.
Hemi vs Wedge.

BTW: if someone wants to rebody a Daytona at the bottom of a cliff, using his own money, plans to never sellwhy do you care?

Ghoste

A clever distraction and my thoughts on that topic are widely known here. 
Note however that while I do not like rebodies and I do very often throw the money rock at them, I don't make a habit of using veiled insults to reduce the debate to a personal argument about financial status.
We are all well aware that Hemis cost more.  We are also well aware that below a certain level the wedge has superior cost to power benefits.  I have yet to hear a valid argument why someone is irrelevant if they scrape and save to get a Hemi just so they can say they have one.  Whether thy intend to sell it or not.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2015, 07:22:46 PM
Quote from: Cooter on January 03, 2015, 05:26:41 PM
Instead of simply stating it's a rich man's toy, they will state how they've gotten it cheap by having it willed to them, or free, or whatever. These types are irrelevant,  

Absolutely dissing you and hypocritical statements like this one are why.  If someone builds a Hemi on the cheap they are irrelevant but if someone spends the coin to buy one already to go they are nothing but a rich man with toys but if someone points out you have more toys then they do then you need to explain that their values are skewed by auction prices and they couldn't finance their one vehicle with your entire fleet.
That kind of counterstatement deserves to be dissed.  Or maybe I should choose a nicer word like you did and say that your way is irrelevant or calling a spade a spade?

I didn't expect you to get this, I didn't expect it to bother you as much because Cooter had a point either, but I degress....
The reason I call the "got it willed to me/free/do my own resto work" types as irrelavant is because they are the exceptions, NOT the rule/norm. While I think EVERYBODY here should require as a rule of muscle car ownership, some form of bodywork skills, this is not the norm. There are people here who REFUSE to do body work, 'can't' do it, etc. The ones that can save themselves huge $$$$$ on a resto are NOT THE NORM.

The norm is a roach resto will cost around $30-75k depending....
not for some, but they are irrelevant. Myself included...I fully expect, in fact I enjoy, people being surprized when I have far less in all six cars than they are paying for one newer diesel truck. BUT IT'S NOT THE NORM, otherwise, there's no surprise....I think you do need that calculator after all. Lol

ws23rt

This discussion has been all around and mostly about how much money does it take to push our charger down the road.

Looking at the original post I see a question. Can one have a hemi for the cost of a $12k stroker 440?

When one thinks about the cost of the rest of the car, a 12K cost for an engine is not a small part.
I suppose one could spend 12K on a slant six and have something special that would push the charger just fine.

Admittedly their are those that need the potential of making a particular ET at the drag strip but for the most part that will seldom ever happen with a hobby car. That's what drag cars are built for.

Is the bottom line about bragging that a 440 is built to out run a hemi?  A stock hemi only has to sit in the engine compartment with no claim at all about what it is. :shruggy:

It is true that much money is spent for performance that is never felt in the seat. :Twocents:

Cooter

Quote from: ws23rt on January 03, 2015, 07:41:04 PM
This discussion has been all around and mostly about how much money does it take to push our charger down the road.

Looking at the original post I see a question. Can one have a hemi for the cost of a $12k stroker 440?

When one thinks about the cost of the rest of the car, a 12K cost for an engine is not a small part.
I suppose one could spend 12K on a slant six and have something special that would push the charger just fine.

Admittedly their are those that need the potential of making a particular ET at the drag strip but for the most part that will seldom ever happen with a hobby car. That's what drag cars are built for.

Is the bottom line about bragging that a 440 is built to out run a hemi?  A stock hemi only has to sit in the engine compartment with no claim at all about what it is. :shruggy:

It is true that much money is spent for performance that is never felt in the seat. :Twocents:

The lack of response by Ghoste to this reply kinda makes my point every time I claim to be the forum bastid.
talk about a contradiction in terms. If drag strip ET's weren't the purpose of the Hemi owner, then why own an engine FAMOUS for drag strip ET's???(yes, hemi based engines are still being used in drag racing. Far better drag racing records than any NASCAR crap)

If wedge to outrun a Hemi is soul purpose of this thread, it wouldn't have lasted 3 pages.
if all a Hemi has to do is sit there "with no claim as to what it is", then why is that???
Why does everything Hemi hafta cost three prices if all it has to do is sit there? Does every Hemi owner come time to PROVE all that Hemi power, just sit there?

If ET's were only for "drag cars", then that must be why at every stop light encounter I hear someone say "hey! You wanna run that Charger through three states?"

ws23rt

Quote from: Cooter on January 03, 2015, 07:52:48 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on January 03, 2015, 07:41:04 PM

The lack of response by Ghoste to this reply kinda makes my point every time I claim to be the forum bastid.
talk about a contradiction in terms. If drag strip ET's weren't the purpose of the Hemi owner, then why own an engine FAMOUS for drag strip ET's???

If wedge to outrun a Hemi is soul purpose of this thread, it wouldn't have lasted 3 pages.
if all a Hemi has to do is sit there "with no claim as to what it is", then why is that???
Why does everything Hemi hafta cost three prices if all it has to do is sit there?

If ET's were only for "drag cars", then that must be why at every stop light encounter I hear someone say "hey! You wanna run that Charger through three states?"

Cooter--I did not reply to this thread to take a particular side in a conflict.  I responded to the original question.
I have admired the hemi from since I was 14.----I was born in 1951-(the first hemi from Chrysler)---My middle initial is H. -I just like them and many do for reasons other than how much they cost to make power.  I bought my first hemi (just the engine) at age 15. It was a 331ci.  I had no car much less a license to drive.
My point with all this is their are others out there that just enjoy the history of our cars and not all of us do it for a dollar or HP number.
BTW I like hemis :icon_smile_wink:---And Chargers :cheers:

Cooter

Without replying like Ghoste did(bullshit), I'd hafta say I attempted to answer questions.
with all that said, all I'm stàting is there's a reason for a $12k stroker wedge over a $12k Hemi.

Nobody who's a Hemi fan (myself included) wants to face it. As with the engine, they will try everything to hafta not 'put down' by stating the obvious, their beloved Hemi. There are many reasons for this...
rare engine=money
not everybody has one=money to own for this reason
just has to sit there=performance history
$12k spent all it gets you is the word Hemi. That $12k stroker will crush it in performance. I always root for underdog. The wedge (like imports) next to the Hemi, gets little respect/wow factor. I believe this is wrong on many levels when it comes to reality.

Cooter

Mike DC

Aren't we all guilty of paying "way more money just for the image" with a Charger in the first place? 

A Coronet moves you down the road just as fast (or faster) in a cheaper package that is mechanically the same.  It even looks pretty similar to the average person. 

1974dodgecharger

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 04, 2015, 12:24:20 AM

Aren't we all guilty of paying "way more money just for the image" with a Charger in the first place? 

A Coronet moves you down the road just as fast (or faster) in a cheaper package that is mechanically the same.  It even looks pretty similar to the average person. 

Gonna have to disagree here.  A Charger is not a Coronet and a Coronet is not a Charger.  I bought a Charger because I love the car itself; the opinion of the ogling public and the subsequent image mean nothing to me.  Charger could be what it is or seen as a Pinto and I couldn't care less.

Am I in the minority here?

JB400

The question in the quote was whether or not you'd pay more for a Charger over a Coronet, given that both cars are equipped exactly the same.  The same principal applies to a 550 hp. Hemi or a 550 hp. wedge.