News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why spend 12K on a stroker

Started by ACUDANUT, December 28, 2014, 12:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

Yes, the big hemi is what I would call big money compared to a well built stroked eddy headed wedge and unless the hemi is in the 600+ hp range it may be behind the wedge IMO. A guy in town where I live has a 69 road runner and he bought a 426 crate hemi and dropped it in there and I ran across him at my local tire store and it was kinda funny how he was bragging on his hemi and bla, bla, bla when the owner of the tire store came out while they were balancing the tires on my charger and told him I had a 493ci under the hood of my charger with the 4-speed that would give his hemi a run for the money!! It was funny to see the expression on his face when he told him that. I offered to take him for a quick spin in my car but he passed, I wasn't going to do anything crazy just a quick trip down a strait and back just to let him get a feel of the 493. Didn't take my buddy about 10 seconds to figure it out, he was giving me a hard time about it but I didn't have it running as good then as it is now. Had just got it in and got it going and working alot of the bugs out when he was picking at me about it. Be nice to say yeah it's a hemi just because if it ever went to the sale block it would bring big bucks being in there.....

Ghoste

So I guess the wedge guys never run out of money?

69wannabe

Quote from: Ghoste on December 30, 2014, 06:25:16 PM

It's just easier to come up with a RB block and build from there. A hemi block starts out about 3 grand when you can pick up a 440 block for around 2 to 4 hundred bucks and buy a stroker kit for around 2 grand and already have a good start on a solid short block for less than 3 grand. You could build 2 high hp wedges for what one 426 hemi will cost you. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a hemi in my charger but unless I won the lottery or something like that it will not ever happen. It's just not something that could be built or bought piece at a time that could be affordable. Even finding a 440 is getting harder and harder these days since anybody that has one or two are holding on to them but they are still around.

Scaregrabber

No doubt about it. The wedges were what was on the street way back when and in stock form they kicked butt on the street. The Hemi's that set the records were tickled to death to bring out their potential.
Where I grew up though, the original owners of Street Hemi's were working guys that worked OT to buy them. These guys spent hours tuning them and they dominated the street scene. It was actually later, like in the late 70's until now that "rich guys" bought them and didn't keep them tuned up and wouldn't run you on the street or track.
Quote from Swede (an original owner of a black 69 Street Hemi 4 speed in my home town) "Yep my Hemi sucked that LS6 in one carb and spit it out the other". Does this sound like some gold chainer that didn't know how to tune a Hemi for a street race? BTW I seen Swede eat that Chevelle and it was at a sanctioned race in 1970 with lots of witnesses. I bought my first Street Hemi in 1980 and was lucky enough to have our local track open the same year. I kicked lots of butt with that car and I was happy it was at the track where there were witnesses and timing clocks. Street racing was generally all about the BS and lots of kiddies that drove 318's and 350's did nothing but start untrue rumours.

If you're building a truly hot wedge these days you're going to need an aftermarket block, so there goes your cheap wedge because you also need aftermarket heads, crank, rods, pistons, intake and valvetrain. So if you want 650HP and up, you're going to spend the same as a Hemi, no doubt about it. If you're building 500HP no problem the stock, wornout wedge stuff will do it, just don't think you're truly going to run with the big dogs.

Sheldon

Ghoste

Quote from: 69wannabe on December 30, 2014, 07:41:35 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 30, 2014, 06:25:16 PM

It's just easier to come up with a RB block and build from there.

Yeah I know, I was just firing a shot at the comment that the Hemi guy will run out of money.

Mike DC

QuoteIf you're building a truly hot wedge these days you're going to need an aftermarket block, so there goes your cheap wedge because you also need aftermarket heads, crank, rods, pistons, intake and valvetrain. So if you want 650HP and up, you're going to spend the same as a Hemi, no doubt about it. If you're building 500HP no problem the stock, wornout wedge stuff will do it, just don't think you're truly going to run with the big dogs.

:yesnod:

Ghoste

You can do a quickie compare just with Indy Cylinder Heads ad.  They have a 572 Bracket Master wedge for 20k and a 572 Legend Hemi for 23k.  The Hemi makes more hp and the wedge makes more torque. :shruggy:

Troy

If you the average drive-it-to-Sonic-for-a-milkshake owner why do you need to spend $12k at all? Technology has come so far that building anything "stock" leaves it at a severe disadvantage. Heck, a new Camry puts up better numbers than most musclecars did back in the day. In the past, if you were a serious racer the Hemi had the advantage - and, therefore, it is a legend. With modern tech the gap is decidedly smaller - especially considering there are small blocks and 6 cylinder engines breaking 1,000 HP. If you want the "best" you're going to spend money. If you want what's necessary you can do it a lot cheaper. Other than wasting money on tires, I honestly have no idea why so many people feel the need for big inch stroker motors on the street. At least the Hemi has the "wow factor" when you pop open the hood - even if it doesn't run!

And, for the record, you might be able to technically purchase a Hemi for near $12k but it ain't going anywhere without a pile of cash thrown at it - especially if you want it to look stock!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

LUMI

hell... why did i spent a lot more than 12K for my 607 B1 headed 942hp/886lbft Wedge :brickwall:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on December 31, 2014, 11:05:33 AM
If you the average drive-it-to-Sonic-for-a-milkshake owner why do you need to spend $12k at all? Technology has come so far that building anything "stock" leaves it at a severe disadvantage. Heck, a new Camry puts up better numbers than most musclecars did back in the day. In the past, if you were a serious racer the Hemi had the advantage - and, therefore, it is a legend. With modern tech the gap is decidedly smaller - especially considering there are small blocks and 6 cylinder engines breaking 1,000 HP. If you want the "best" you're going to spend money. If you want what's necessary you can do it a lot cheaper. Other than wasting money on tires, I honestly have no idea why so many people feel the need for big inch stroker motors on the street. At least the Hemi has the "wow factor" when you pop open the hood - even if it doesn't run!

And, for the record, you might be able to technically purchase a Hemi for near $12k but it ain't going anywhere without a pile of cash thrown at it - especially if you want it to look stock!

Troy

Well you get my point.  I would still rather have a 426 Hemi than a 12-15K stroker.  A 15K Hemi is very reachable.

hatersaurusrex

I gave significantly less than 12K for this one - granted it needs to be assembled and I'll put a few K towards that - but with two cranks, two sets of pistons, a pair of A990 aluminum K heads and a set of 1050 street dominators in the deal, I'd say I got quite a bit of hemi bang for the buck.   Frankly I no longer care how stock it looks (funny how that works), and I'm pretty sure a roots charger is going where that tunnel ram is sitting before it's all said and done.

I might just drive it to Sonic for some milkshakes, but I bet I get there and back faster than anyone else.  I mean, when you need a milkshake Troy, you need a milkshake and fast.  Am I right?

I'm thrilled with it - but I won't sit here and be one of those guys who says 'deals are out there if you look' though.  I looked for a long time - had actually decided to buy a 400 and stroke/supercharge the piss out of it - then out of nowhere came a literal barn find that fell in my lap.  I could have 'looked' for another 10 years and never found it.  One of those things that always seems to happen to other guys, but it finally happened to me for once :)

I'll save the stroker idea for my next Mopar - or just build another car around this motor and put a nice stroked RB or B mill in my '68.   I'm half tempted to mock it up in the engine bay of my CJ7 just to send the guys on the jeep boards running for cover :P

20141115_151309 by tecmotimes, on Flickr
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ghoste

For most of us, a reliable Hemi is likely closer to 20k IMO.

Mike DC

I'm a little surprised the old Stage-V Hemi conversions aren't more popular.  

Yeah I know it doesn't save much more than the price of a block.  But that still means saving $3000, and 100 lbs of front end weight.  Lots of street-driven repro crate Hemis will never get worked hard enough to kill a stock 440 block and the owners know that going into it.  

Patronus

A 5.7 would be fine with me. Just as long as I get that door chrome.  :P
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

charge69

I spent an easy 14K just REBUILDING (professional shop, not me) my HEMI.  It is just .0030 over but true 11 to 1 JE custom pistons all ARP fasteners, Manley Rods and SS valves,  complete Compcams hyd roller cam kit including custom-cut push rods (cam is one-off, just for this build) all new OEM rockers etc.

All said and done, engine dynoed at 588hp @ 6500rpm.  Not too bad for a 432 cu. in. street HEMI.  When installed in the Charger, it got a full TTi x-pipe exhaust system including headers.

I was bleeding money for it!

cdr

looks like you bled enough to paint your car red  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Scaregrabber

Best deal I ever got was in 1980. I bought a 73 Cuda with a good running 426 Hemi in it for $3200. Drove it home Quesnel to Prince George B.C. on bald N50's on glare ice one March day. A week later I piled 4 buddies into the car and we ran it at 150MPH for a few miles. Those were the days. Pulled the 440 out of my Challenger, put it into the Cuda and sold it for $2500. I haven't been the same ever since.

Sheldon

charge69

Hi CDR,

I most certainly did bleed enough to paint the car but, ....................... buying the paint was "extra" !

ACUDANUT

I wish a 426 would fall in my hands someday. I have been looking for 30 years now.  :brickwall:

Ghoste

Why does no one ever seem to think that a Hemi owner would never throw the same technology at one of those engines as the smallblock and six cylinder guys?  Or the ricer crowd for that matter?  I read every now and again about throwing turbos and nitrous at wedge engines and then the Hemi is a an ancient has been.  Hemi lovers never dare the wedge crowd to add gobs of nitromethane and a giant blower.

Mike DC

The biggest limitation on anyone's speed isn't their cylinder head design, it's their money.  

It takes the greater part of 1000 horsepower before the Hemi starts being more cost-effective than a wedge.  Most guys have already gotten pretty committed to one engine by the time they're dealing in numbers that big.  

69wannabe

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 01, 2015, 07:58:22 PM

The biggest limitation on anyone's speed isn't their cylinder head design, it's their money.  

It takes the greater part of 1000 horsepower before the Hemi starts being more cost-effective than a wedge.  Most guys have already gotten pretty committed to one engine by the time they're dealing in numbers that big.  

Very true!! I had one number in mind for my engine build and that was 500 hp. I know that's not necessarily reaching for the stars but very doable with the amount of money I had expected to spend. If I was doing a drag car and not a nice driver I would have had bigger numbers in mind but 500 hp should get me to town and back just fine. I do not have resources for a dyno but a few years back jeg's advertised a 493 wedge with a very similar build with 525 hp so I figure I hit my mark pretty close.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on January 01, 2015, 06:35:04 PM
Why does no one ever seem to think that a Hemi owner would never throw the same technology at one of those engines as the smallblock and six cylinder guys?  Or the ricer crowd for that matter?  I read every now and again about throwing turbos and nitrous at wedge engines and then the Hemi is a an ancient has been.  Hemi lovers never dare the wedge crowd to add gobs of nitromethane and a giant blower.

If a fuel injection set up for a WEDGE is in the $5k range, then you already know what it'll be for a Hemi...
same ol thing I've stated...
Hemi
Have
Enormous
Money
Invested
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69wannabe

Quote from: Cooter on January 02, 2015, 12:57:46 PM

If a fuel injection set up for a WEDGE is in the $5k range, then you already know what it'll be for a Hemi...
Hemi
Have
Enormous

I agree Cooter!!! Most just want the best bang for the buck and the wedge is the best way to make power and torque without refinancing your home!!
Money
Invested

Cooter

Quote from: 69wannabe on January 02, 2015, 01:27:38 PM
Quote from: Cooter on January 02, 2015, 12:57:46 PM

Hemi
Have
Enormous

I agree Cooter!!! Most just want the best bang for the buck and the wedge is the best way to make power and torque without refinancing your home!!
Money
Invested

IE: Rich man's toy.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"