News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone made an auxiliary gauge pod for console tops yet? Update: made my own

Started by JR, December 24, 2014, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

I could really use a few more gauges in my 70 now. Mainly a trans temp gauge now, but I plan to add a couple more in the future.

The under dash mounting pods look cheap and tacky to me, so I was trying to come up with a better looking place to mount them.

The console has so much unused, wasted space it'd seem like the perfect place to put them. Does anyone make a gauge pod already?  I would like one that mounts to the console lid with double sided tape with no drilling. Ive never seen one before, has anyone here made one? Any pics?

I love the 4 gauge pod that 1st gen Camaros had. That was a really clever idea.

Basically, I'd like this.

Or this.

If you have any suggestions or have made something yourself, I'd like to see them.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

1974dodgecharger

I wish someone would make a fckin pillar pod or something that be nice,,, for 2nd gens.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

moparnation74

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on December 26, 2014, 04:36:33 AM
I wish someone would make a fckin pillar pod or something that be nice,,, for 2nd gens.
That would be a great setup!

A383Wing

someone makes a 3 gauge dash pod that takes the place of your dash top pad, gauges are angled towards the driver just above the heater controls...I like the look, but I can't find a link anywhere

fy469rtse

Get an old pad cut through it , use the after market pod housings for inserts,
You might have to put a tack or two to inner metal frame , just to keep it straight
so you can insert your gauges ,
Fibreglass them in, take pad in to where they vacuum cover vinyl repairs,
Let us know how you go  :popcrn:

JR

Just for purely personal aesthetic reasons I'd prefer them on the console.

I've found the gm console pods are reproduced, but crazy expensive for something I'd have to cut up and modify. I suspect ultimately I'll have to make one from scratch out of abs plastic sheeting or fiberglass.

I wish I new more about CAD design as there are companies that will 3D print anything you send them for a reasonable price. Sure would be convenient to measure the lid, draw it in the computer, and have a 3d printer make it on the spot.

The big concern though is making it look OE when finished. Which is the really hard part.

I'll post pics of what I do.

JB400

Quote from: A383Wing on December 26, 2014, 10:18:20 PM
someone makes a 3 gauge dash pod that takes the place of your dash top pad, gauges are angled towards the driver just above the heater controls...I like the look, but I can't find a link anywhere
I believe it is Just Dashes that makes the dash pad you speak of.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

JR

Both of those can be found here.

http://www.classicindustries.com/shop/camaro/parts/interior-hard-parts/console-parts/console-housings-panels/

The first one is a 67 camaro piece, and the second one is a 68-69 camaro/nova part according to the site.

The top one with the chrome trim could be modified to look reasonably OE I believe. Only downside there is they want $150 plus for it. Way too much for something I'm going to chop up and have to modify anyways.

The bottom one is apparently a snap in (for the original application), slightly convex panel. It could be used as a top panel if I took the time
to fab four sides for it I suppose. Not really crazy about the sound of that though. That panel is convex, our consoles are completely flat.

I'm trying to come up with a way to do it without drilling holes or modifying the original console top plate.

EDIT: Just thinking out loud here. There is a used console front lid on eBay now for 50 bucks. It'd be relatively simple to pick it up, cut out a rectangular hole and blend in a gauge pod like the second pic.

EDIT#2: Found a good diy for how to make one from PVC tubing and plastic. Maybe making one that fits neatly in the center part of the console to mimic the 4 gauge camaro one would be nice.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1107621-how-to-gauge-pod-with-pics.html

JR

Well guys, after finding nothing at all that would look right, I decided to make something myself.

I discovered that cramming four, two inch round gauges on the upper console wouldnt be easy and the rear two would be hard to see, so I decided to mount two gauges to the front. Hopefully that will be enough for now.

I made a quick mock up of what I want from cardboard shoebox, and found it'd look best tucked up to the very front of the console, under the dash. Here is my VERY crude, quick mockup.(Yes, its sloppy, I did this in 20 minutes.)  I'm actually leaving right now to find some thick styrene plastic to make the real thing out of.

I'm happy with this shape, and figure with some textured black paint and some thin chrome trim along the edges, it will blend in nicely to the interior.

I know its hard to make out detal with cardboard and masking tape, but I think the shape flows nicely in the interior. The corner is rounded instead of being cut 90°.

Will post updates soon.

JB400

Looks like it'll work.  Too bad you don't have a couple extra console plates to make one out of. :scratchchin:

JR

Quote from: JB400 on December 28, 2014, 12:55:46 PM
Looks like it'll work.  Too bad you don't have a couple extra console plates to make one out of. :scratchchin:

I may have found the next best thing. This is going in the 70 which has a woodgrain lid insert. I just picked up a piece of thin oak board I figure I can stain to match the woodgrain. If I use it for the top plate, and use textured plastic on the sides, that may end up working nicely.

JR

Well, I've got the first try made. I made it out of thick styrene plastic modelers use. It has two flat spots that fit in the ridges on the edges of the console so I can mount it using Velcro or adhesive tape.

The plan is to paint it textured, semigloss black, and fit two 2 inch gauges in it.  I have some 1/8th chrome strip to run alongside the edges to mimic the one in my first pic.

The shape looks sort of bread boxy in white, if I don't like how this turns out after its painted I may use the leftover styrene and try to make one closer to the top pic.

And here it is with two holes cut and the only spare gauge I have to fill the hole. It's starting to look better I think. I had to move the l brackets I put in there the first time.

First coat of paint.

JR

Well. The first try is finished for now. I didn't bother fiberglassing the seams smooth because I want to run it this way for a while and see what I want to change. Here is the best night pic I could get. Its impossible to take good pics at night.

I ran chrome trim alongside the edges and painted the whole thing with rustoleoum textured black.

I'll order the two gauges to fill it tomorrow. I have a spare vacuum gauge there now.

Its attached with Velcro so I can easily remove it and swap things around. Plus, no drilling or permanent modification.

JR

I just happened to remember I haven't added a completed pic yet. I should finish this thread for future searches i suppose.

I've been running the trans temp gauge and the wideband O2 since the last post with great results.

I haven't decided if im going to add the angle rings to this one to tilt the gauges to me or make a new piece that won't need the rings, but I still like this basic idea.

I'll smooth out the edges and finish it better if I decide to keep this one.

v21hemicharger

I just remove the ashtray and use a two gauge mount from Summit.