News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 can someone tell me about it.

Started by JT01, December 23, 2014, 01:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT01

Went and looked at a 383 today complete motor except for manifolds and dist and carb. The guy says it came out of a 69 super bee I got the numbers off the side of the block these are the only numbers I could find anywhere can someone tell me exactly what it is Thanks for any help. Heres the number 2468130 10 with a LL under it

ACUDANUT

I'm not a numbers guy, but a huge fan of 383's.  :2thumbs:

moparnation74

Are you getting that from the small stamp pad by the oil pan on the passenger side? Or is it a 68 or earlier block.  68 may be by the oil sending unit where the bell housing attaches on the lip.  Some had it and some did not.

XH29N0G

That number (2468130) is in part a casting number that identifies it as a 383.  On the other side of the block it may reappear with a casting date.  Take a look at

http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-engine-casting-numbers.html

What you want to do is to look at the numbers that are stamped on the pad by the distributor.  It will probably have something like D383 or E383 and then some other letters (R is regular grade fuel, HP is high performance.....).  I think the dates here and in the serial number are related to when it was assembled or machined.

There also should be a stamped serial number.  It may be down beside the oil pan on the side of the block.  I have one with the serial number at the back near the starter (I do not know if it was covered when the oil pan was installed though).  These will be numbers struck/stamped into a machined flat part of the block.

I do not know what the LL or 10 mean.  I have one from 68 with LL and 11 on it.  
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

John_Kunkel

The digits following the basic casting number is the number of core plugs that were replaced in the casting core; legend has it that a high number is less desirable due to the possibility of core shift...never proven.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

moparnation74

ACUDANUT

"core plugs that were replaced in the casting core"

Hmmm

A383Wing

what numbers and letters are stamped on the flat pad under the distributor??

fy469rtse

If it is a 69 super bee motor ,
It's a magnum , 4 barrel intake , magnum up swept cast manifolds,
Pad near distributor should have HP or HP 2 I think stamped in there,
Look at bottom of pan rail , or under rear bell housing area ear, to get vin that matches car it was out of
Post some photos and we will try to identify for you,
How original and complete is engine,
And yes I'm a fan of 383 400's , you can build some real street killers out of these engines

69CoronetRT

The best way to tell what it came out of is by checking out the VIN stamp.

IF it is a 69, then the VIN will be on the passenger's side of the block.
If it is an 'early' 69 engine, it will have the entire VIN stamped which will tell you what it came out of.
If it is a 'late' 69, the it will have only the year, plant and six digit number. We can still probably determine what it came out of by that.

A 383 in a 69 Super Bee may or may not have the HP stamp on the pad by the distributor. 69 Bees that came with A/C got the 330 horse motor so they would not have the HP stamp.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.