News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dana 60 axle

Started by chrisbinks, January 05, 2015, 09:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisbinks

hi all, my first time building a dodge charger 1970, I'm wanting to fit a dana 60 rear axle, are all dana 60 rear axles the same? if not does anyone know what i should be looking for or able to point me in the right direction.

many thanks for your help guys and girls

chris

six-tee-nine

Nope,

Mopar B body's have a specific Danan axle. Dana's were also used alot on vans and trucks, but those are the full floater type without pinion snubber. Those can be converted if you know your way with a welder and other stuff.
Then there's a specific axle tube length for different body styles. Meaning an E body Dana is iirc Narrower then a B body one....

Dana's are kinda costly..... but you can buy one new for around 2 grand
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

hatersaurusrex

This list will help

http://www.bigblockmopar.nl/tech/mopar-rearaxle-dimensions/

If you're buying an D60 from a donor vehicle or aftermarket, then be aware that axle length measurement terms can be confusing:

You will USUALLY see the width listed as WMS to WMS (wheel mounting surface) or drum to drum.  These terms are interchangeable and both refer to measuring the axle with brake drums still installed, from the point where the back of the wheel touches the drum to the same spot on the other side.

When dealing with a flanged style rearend (lots of aftermarket D60's) you also hear the term 'flange to flange'.  While this is roughly the same (within an inch), it's NOT the exact same thing as WMS/WMS or drum/drum.  It doesn't take the rotor covers into account, so measure carefully.

A quick read of this link should make it all pretty clear.  

http://thegmr.com/?page_id=2685

If your donor axle is a little longer or shorter (meaning less than an inch or two) than what Mopar calls for, you can usually overcome the difference by choosing rear wheels with a different backspacing/offset.  If it's drastically longer, you'll need to have it cut down.  Either way, odds are you'll at the least need the spring perches relocated in any case.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

chrisbinks

hi thats brilliant guys thank you ill have a look in to it  :2thumbs: