News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stroker engines Loud

Started by fy469rtse, December 21, 2014, 08:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

505 stroker , 3" inch exhaust,   victor top end high comp, HELP
very noisy , two straight through mufflers and on the tail pipes two glass pack 24 " long hot dogs to take bark out of it.
what have you guys done to quiet your rides down ,
I'm sure ive asked this before , but now that i have it running , holy cow  :brickwall: :shruggy:

XH29N0G

It may be the 3 inch exhaust or the larger engine.  I have 2.5" on a smaller stroker 452 and put magnaflow 4 inch round as resonators.  I have straight through mufflers (I think 18 inch) as well.  The big issue I had was with small exhaust leaks because the people who originally welded the exhaust didn't do a good job of it.  The dogs still bark at the car when I drive by, but it is quiet enough to talk inside and to hear other cars mufflers.  Still is plenty loud, but I don't worry about the neighbors or about drawing too much attention because of noise.   

When quieted down, I started to hear every single tap from the engine (pistons and valvetrain) and now am wondering if there are ways to quiet those down. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

1974dodgecharger

ill trade ya engines?  Im sure mine is quieter than your 505... :icon_smile_big:

fizz

Please, tell us about your build

fy469rtse

thanks for the reply's guy's , going to have exhaust shop put on a large muffler , not straight through, and only two half inch,
hopefully this will get it down to the required noise level to get her registered, I put bolt on flanges either side of muffler just in case this was the outcome ,
started a build thread , if you search by my user name it comes up , havent updated it for a while but going to do so shortly
but challenger340 doing a similar engine build thread now ,

XH29N0G

From reading I did, and I do not know how valid it is? What I have heard is that you can choke the muffler size and tailpipe size down at the back of the system and have less of an impact on backpressure than you will if you do it further forward.  It might be worth exploring what the effect is of putting only a 2.5 on the resonator tailpipe portion and leaving the front mufflers as they are. 

What front mufflers are you using.  I also wonder if some of the dynomax VT 3" up front with that little door in the front might do it for idle and then let it breath at higher RPM and then have 2.5 from them back. 

:scratchchin:

Or maybe it protects us. 

c00nhunterjoe

3 chambers make a world of difference.

Mine through 3" flowmaster 50 series suv mufflers.
1st pass: http://youtu.be/8NJSkutniSQ

don duick

CLOSED PIPE RESONATORS.

I also had a problem with noise on my mild 440 with 3 inch pipes and dynomax vt mufflers. I went back down to 2.5 inch pipes. 2.5 pipes may be small for a 505. With 2.5 pipes I stiil had noise problem. I then installed "closed pipe resonators" in my tailpipes. They did a great job in removing drone and noise, in fact they do a better Job than mufflers. Let me know if you are interested and I will explain how they work or google closed pipe resonators I found a f100 truck forum that explains how they work. Amazing.

fy469rtse

Thanks guys , going to look that up Don, thanks for the ideas
Got to start somewhere,
Coonhunterjoe, much louder, I guess it's all relative to the horsepower you make also,
3" straight through mufflers, 22" resonators where the tail pipes should be ?
I expected it to be loud , just not this loud ,

XH29N0G

Quote from: don duick on December 23, 2014, 01:38:43 AM
CLOSED PIPE RESONATORS.

I also had a problem with noise on my mild 440 with 3 inch pipes and dynomax vt mufflers. I went back down to 2.5 inch pipes. 2.5 pipes may be small for a 505. With 2.5 pipes I stiil had noise problem. I then installed "closed pipe resonators" in my tailpipes. They did a great job in removing drone and noise, in fact they do a better Job than mufflers. Let me know if you are interested and I will explain how they work or google closed pipe resonators I found a f100 truck forum that explains how they work. Amazing.

I am curious to hear how you did it and to see the installation.

Or maybe it protects us. 

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 23, 2014, 02:53:57 AM
Thanks guys , going to look that up Don, thanks for the ideas
Got to start somewhere,
Coonhunterjoe, much louder, I guess it's all relative to the horsepower you make also,
3" straight through mufflers, 22" resonators where the tail pipes should be ?
I expected it to be loud , just not this loud ,

Lol, what im saying is thats mine with 3" 3 chamber mufflers. No resonators. When i had 2 chamber 40 series on it, it was too much after a quick ride around the block.

fy469rtse

Have ordered some rear resonators, from summit, on their way,
Going to doi this one step at a time and post results,
Hooker straight through performance and glass pack cherry bombs 20 " long on tail pipes
Exhaust test 1 3300 rpm 114 decibels
The resonators I've ordered similar length to cherry bombs 4" deep 7" inches wide , I think the name was flow tech
Bigger and wider then the factory hemi ones, will just fit between springs an fuel tank,
My tail pipes hang under the rear rails anyway , 3" inch , so perfect to fit there,
Glass packed , supposedly to reduce decibels dramatically
Will have to custom make some mounts similar to the hemi mounts,
Just to stop them vibrating or touching anywhere,
Will post results of step one as soon as I fit these,
If I'm results are good , I'm sure this thread will help others

don duick

Quote from: XH29N0G on December 23, 2014, 03:45:26 AM
Quote from: don duick on December 23, 2014, 01:38:43 AM
CLOSED PIPE RESONATORS.

I am curious to hear how you did it and to see the installation.

simply an exhaust pipe 27 inches long and caped at the end and welded at right angles to your tailpipe. this is the photo of the one on my truck. The ones on my charger are installed on the tailpipes at the highest point above the diff. It is preferred that they be the same diameter as the tailpipe. My tailpipes are 2.5 but I used 2 inch pipe as space was tight. The hole you cut in the tailpipe has to be the same diameter as the resonator pipe. To make it easier to install you first weld on a short pipe that has been flared. You then slide in the other pipe and clamp it. How they work, - as the sound waves travel down  the resonator they bounce back into the tailpipe and alter the frequency of the sound waves and eliminates about 80% of drone  and in my case about 40 % of noise. It is important that they be at least 27 inches to work. There is a complicated formula to determine this but I could not understand it. Another experiment you can try is to make a plunger on a long rod and insert it in to the resonator pipe before you cap it. With the engine running you move it in and out to determine the length and then you know where to cap it. The ford F100 guys know a lot about this as trucks have severe droning and noise problems

fy469rtse

Don , would love to see photos up under your charger,
Just had a look at mine with shocks fuel lines, looks a hard fit ? But where else,
Yeh did some reading on it , was thinking maybe smaller diameter like a cross pipe in front of muffler across to other side sill, and the same back the other way,
That way I could get a decent length and cap them , it's an area with not a lot of hardware to interfere with

don duick

ok will try and take photos soon.

fy469rtse

Xh29og,
I think I included photos of my building 3" system using mandrel bends, , See my build thread, sorry haven't learnt to link yet
Made an x pipe , tail pipes because of the size were difficult to get clearances around rear end shockers,
Tail pipes with cherry bombs in place of the main length of tail pipes, hanging under rear frame rails, not up between rail and tank,

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 25, 2014, 07:40:53 AM
Xh29og,
I think I included photos of my building 3" system using mandrel bends, , See my build thread, sorry haven't learnt to link yet
Made an x pipe , tail pipes because of the size were difficult to get clearances around rear end shockers,
Tail pipes with cherry bombs in place of the main length of tail pipes, hanging under rear frame rails, not up between rail and tank,

For those interested in a 3" system, summit racing's house brand exhaust fits beautifully over the axle with plenty of clearance.
Also, adding an x pipe will quiet the exhaust tone some as well.

don duick

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 24, 2014, 05:09:23 AM
Don , would love to see photos up under your charger,
Just had a look at mine with shocks fuel lines, looks a hard fit ? But where else,
Yeh did some reading on it , was thinking maybe smaller diameter like a cross pipe in front of muffler across to other side sill, and the same back the other way,
That way I could get a decent length and cap them , it's an area with not a lot of hardware to interfere with

don duick

hears another, difficult to take photos, best I can do. Look closely at 1st photo you will see the gloss of my alloy wheel near that you will see the right side tailpipe with the orange resonator attached. In this second photo you will see the right side resonator painted orange and it fits directly above the diff. The left side resonator is unpainted (I ran out of paint). The left side resonator fits in front of the diff. These resonators are 2 inch pipes on 2.5 inch tailpipes and there is plenty room. In the photo the flexible brake line looks close but has plenty clearance.