News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First dead Hellcat

Started by Drache, December 21, 2014, 03:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 21, 2014, 05:30:44 PM
It won't be long now.  What's the saying about history repeating itself?   :no:

The current party is too good to last. 

polywideblock

as I said in the other thread all it will take is for it to be a slow day at the office at one of the" national rags "where someone comes up with the story " too fast and  too powerful, death-traps being sold to the public "

its what happened over here the first time with the muscle cars back in the 70's   :yesnod: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar_scare      bloody papers    :RantExplode:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Mike DC

Hellcats are too expensive & rare for the problem to get very severe.  It's a few thousand cars and many will be treated as instant collectors items. 

People have been smashing up 1-hour-old Vipers & Corvettes for decades. 

Ghoste

six-tee-nine

Talking about history repaeting itself...

After the oil crisis in the 70's everything was downsized for fuel consumption. nowadays car engines need to be downsized again for less fuel consumption and environmental reasons.

Over here in Europe if you dare to buy anything over 2 litres of cylinder capacity mr. government says  :nono: and sends a huge tax bill.
They even go that far that the cities and rural places can fine you if you drive a pre 1991 car into the center of town. I think they really want mr average Joe buying a horse again.

There are no laws yet to limit producing high power sports cars, and probably never will. The car manufacture lobby is to powerful for that imo, but it will come down to the same thing as 40 years ago. You will pay your a$$ off to drive one.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

tan top

wonder if its this one  ,  same color  :P   3 minutes 4 seconds into the video  :yesnod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tck3jgaZlhE
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

dual fours

Check out the curve and the trees, they all have bark off! The blue sign reads "Drive Safely"
Google maps   11932 riverdale rd. Brighton, Colorado  
Can't post a link to the location. :brickwall:

1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Homerr

34yo + $60k + 707hp = predictable result

Mytur Binsdirti

1974dodgecharger

charger Downunder

Quote from: dual fours on December 22, 2014, 06:30:02 PM
Check out the curve and the trees, they all have bark off! The blue sign reads "Drive Safely"

Just checked out google maps its a bad corner trees with bark of and the blue sign reads Please drive safely in Memory of ..... Two people.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@39.9111323,-104.9021924,3a,37.5y,0.16h,84.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1smz7upHe7y8OtYymgSREXfw!2e0
[/quote]

Homerr

There, I fixed it.

Dino

Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 22, 2014, 06:40:29 AM

After the oil crisis in the 70's everything was downsized for fuel consumption. nowadays car engines need to be downsized again for less fuel consumption and environmental reasons.

Over here in Europe if you dare to buy anything over 2 litres of cylinder capacity mr. government says  :nono: and sends a huge tax bill.
They even go that far that the cities and rural places can fine you if you drive a pre 1991 car into the center of town. I think they really want mr average Joe buying a horse again.

There are no laws yet to limit producing high power sports cars, and probably never will. The car manufacture lobby is to powerful for that imo, but it will come down to the same thing as 40 years ago. You will pay your a$$ off to drive one.

I left that dump of a country almost 8 years ago now.  I am shocked when my family tells me all about the new laws they keep getting pummeled with.  Driving a big car in Belgium was a nightmare, it seems tey just don't want you to be happy over there.  Kinda ticks me off when people in the US complain about their government as they have no clue how good they have it.  I do miss the health care though.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

moparnation74

Quote from: Dino on December 23, 2014, 09:05:09 AM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 22, 2014, 06:40:29 AM

I left that dump of a country almost 8 years ago now.  I am shocked when my family tells me all about the new laws they keep getting pummeled with.  Driving a big car in Belgium was a nightmare, it seems tey just don't want you to be happy over there.  Kinda ticks me off when people in the US complain about their government as they have no clue how good they have it.  I do miss the health care though.   :icon_smile_big:
Good points, Dino!  We are very fortunate here in the US. 

six-tee-nine

OK I know its off topic but Dino, You do know its not just that....
Its not a matter of taking your kids to the airport and telling your friends and family "solong guys"...... and how about getting a job in another country. I'm just a working class hero with bills to pay and mouths to feed so going for such an adventure is not for the fainth of hearth. I applaud you for doing so and glad things turned out better for you. But personaly I dont see it happening for me.
Maybe one day when my parents are gone but then my kids will be grown and have kids of their own wich you dont want to leave behind....

And its not just owning or driving a car that is messed up over here, If you want a decent house with a bit land you are 0.5 million Euro's poorer. Young people here live with their parents up to their 30's these days to then take a morgage for 30 years to have their own roof over their head, just sick.

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

dual fours

Quote from: charger Downunder on December 23, 2014, 06:28:56 AM
Quote from: dual fours on December 22, 2014, 06:30:02 PM

Just checked out google maps its a bad corner trees with bark of and the blue sign reads Please drive safely in Memory of ..... Two people.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@39.9111323,-104.9021924,3a,37.5y,0.16h,84.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1smz7upHe7y8OtYymgSREXfw!2e0
Yea, your link to the map does not work either, it's those last black letters and numbers, will not let you go there. :brickwall:
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

charger Downunder

Works for me copy and paste it into your browser including the black letters dont right click it and open linc in new tab.
[/quote]

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Dino

Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 23, 2014, 02:46:36 PM
Its not a matter of taking your kids to the airport and telling your friends and family "solong guys"...... and how about getting a job in another country. I'm just a working class hero with bills to pay and mouths to feed so going for such an adventure is not for the fainth of hearth. I applaud you for doing so and glad things turned out better for you. But personaly I dont see it happening for me.
Maybe one day when my parents are gone but then my kids will be grown and have kids of their own wich you dont want to leave behind....

And its not just owning or driving a car that is messed up over here, If you want a decent house with a bit land you are 0.5 million Euro's poorer. Young people here live with their parents up to their 30's these days to then take a morgage for 30 years to have their own roof over their head, just sick.

I know.  I was fortunate to be in a situation where I could pack up my things and leave.  It still is one of the hardest things I ever did though, but I had no family to bring along.  To be honest, the so-long part was not that bad.  There's phones and internet and I still keep in touch with a lot of folks over there.  The job part is easiest.  I  had to wait for my work permit initially but had no trouble finding or keeping a job since then.  Life here is so much easier it's not even funny.  I miss certain things about Belgium, especially since all my child hood memories are there, but moving here was the best thing I ever did.  Being able to drive a Charger around whenever is just a bonus and would be a bad reason to move.  Do they still use the 'O' plate on classics so you can't drive around at night and such?  Putting a regular plate on a car like this would cost you a ton of money on insurance and taxes but there used to be a way to have your classic car road legal while not having the classic license plate.  I wouldn't be surprised if they nixed that though.

I lived in Belgium until I was 33.  I did as much undeclared work as I could just to make a living.  And I lived in a small studio apartment in Merksem, not exactly living the high life.   :lol:

It was near impossible for me to buy a house, something decent at least.  If I would have to go back I'd look for a house outside of the city just to bring the price down a bit.  But as I have heard from relatives, even those prices are rising fast.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1974dodgecharger

Call junkyard they are parting it now.....like I said I got dibs on engine.

472 R/T SE

I don't think I'd want to take a chance.  If I was in the market & had the $$, it would have to be the crate version.
Problem is the amount of cash it'd take for the motor & a tranny, you could have bought a real nice R/T driver of some shape.

Mike DC

I'm glad the Hellcats exist but a stroker gen-2 Hemi or 440 would do the job of making 700hp better. 

Mopar only supercharged the heck out of a 6-liter engine because they didn't have a dramatically bigger engine in the LX platform to use instead.   

JB400

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 26, 2014, 01:55:12 AM

I'm glad the Hellcats exist but a stroker gen-2 Hemi or 440 would do the job of making 700hp better. 

Mopar only supercharged the heck out of a 6-liter engine because they didn't have a dramatically bigger engine in the LX platform to use instead.   

I'd like to see you get 20 mpg's out of a 700 hp big block or stroker Hemi, with the weight savings, of course.

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Dino on December 24, 2014, 09:13:34 AM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 23, 2014, 02:46:36 PM

I know.  I was fortunate to be in a situation where I could pack up my things and leave.  It still is one of the hardest things I ever did though, but I had no family to bring along.  To be honest, the so-long part was not that bad.  There's phones and internet and I still keep in touch with a lot of folks over there.  The job part is easiest.  I  had to wait for my work permit initially but had no trouble finding or keeping a job since then.  Life here is so much easier it's not even funny.  I miss certain things about Belgium, especially since all my child hood memories are there, but moving here was the best thing I ever did.  Being able to drive a Charger around whenever is just a bonus and would be a bad reason to move.  Do they still use the 'O' plate on classics so you can't drive around at night and such?  Putting a regular plate on a car like this would cost you a ton of money on insurance and taxes but there used to be a way to have your classic car road legal while not having the classic license plate.  I wouldn't be surprised if they nixed that though.

I lived in Belgium until I was 33.  I did as much undeclared work as I could just to make a living.  And I lived in a small studio apartment in Merksem, not exactly living the high life.   :lol:

It was near impossible for me to buy a house, something decent at least.  If I would have to go back I'd look for a house outside of the city just to bring the price down a bit.  But as I have heard from relatives, even those prices are rising fast.
Yes, the O plate is still in use. The only Way to ever drive a car like the charger to be affordable.
The regulations changed so you can drive your classic as much as you want. Guess what alot of morons buy a 25+ year old car and get a cheap O plate and then daily drive it to avoid taxes. So that goes to hell also in a couple of years. BTW. I live in schilde wich is not that far from where you once lived.

Mike DC

QuoteI'd like to see you get 20 mpg's out of a 700 hp big block or stroker Hemi, with the weight savings, of course.

Okay, but only if we include the costs of design, production, and long term maintenance for both engines.  How much would a stroker gen-2 Hemi still cost on a factory assembly line?  How much gasoline does a couple of timing chain replacements (including labor) on the new engine buy?  

And I wonder if modern cylinder deactivation would be a big saver on a B/RB?  Take a 9-10 liter V8 down to 4 cylinders and you've still got a motor big enough to run the car pretty much all the time.  The 4cyl mode wouldn't just be usable when there's little or no load.  

Weight -  
I doubt the Hellcat motor has any real weight advantage.  The Hellcat motor had to use an iron block because it's being worked much harder for its size with all that forced induction & high RPMs.  And the Hellcat's supercharger & coolers & fluids probably add the greater part of 100 lbs.  An all-aluminum old Hemi is only about 530 lbs total.  

But the old motor would fail modern Federal emission regulations in a big way.  It hasn't been crash tested in the LX platform.  Etc.