News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is '68 auto consol top plate to manual convertion possible?

Started by cavemanno1, December 16, 2014, 06:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavemanno1

Has anyone done it or it's not possible to hide the cuts?I know on the '69 is doable because of the fake wood inserts but on the '68 is there any way to cut the space out for the manual shifter?Looking to save some money on it in order to be able to buy a trans from Brewers!Got the quote from them and it's $6500 shipping not including.It comes with everything from the hardware to the carpet,consol and consol plate but the consol alone is more than 1500 bucks.I'm fine paying 5k for the 4 speed convertion but the consol price is killing the idea to have a 4 speed.I guess i just go to a non consol option and be done with it!
But if anyone ever tried to do it or done it let me know please!

Thanks,

Peter

Ghoste

The console plate is easily changed out so no need to cut.  (1500 for a console though??!! that's absurd)

moparnation74

Quote from: Ghoste on December 17, 2014, 06:27:08 AM
The console plate is easily changed out so no need to cut.  (1500 for a console though??!! that's absurd)
I agree, if you have an AT console just change the top plate.

cavemanno1

Quote from: Ghoste on December 17, 2014, 06:27:08 AM

Ok,i didn't know you can change it out!$1500 was for the whole consol,top plates,carpet,plastic sidecover,consol itself and hump!Brewers sent me the quotefor the whole 4 speed convertion and it was listed in there!

Thanks guys!So if i have an automatic consol than i just need to change the top plate out!

Ghoste

Ryan.C

check out this thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95764.0.html

in addition to the top plate being modified/replaced the side cover for manual trans console needs to be installed. I got mine from brewers for less than $100. oh the left side trim piece is different as well.

The top plate from BEA is around $400. check out this thread for another option. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10086.0.html
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

cavemanno1

Quote from: Ryan.C on December 17, 2014, 01:10:43 PM
check out this thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95764.0.html

in addition to the top plate being modified/replaced the side cover for manual trans console needs to be installed. I got mine from brewers for less than $100. oh the left side trim piece is different as well.

The top plate from BEA is around $400. check out this thread for another option. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10086.0.html

Thanks guys!

I have seen AKcharger thread but the '68 has chrome top plates and can't be covered with insert!

Weight Quantity       Item Description                                   Unit Price     Amount
0.20      1.00      RIL REVERSE INDICATOR LAMP, ALL 68 & UP     89.95        89.95
0.12      1.00      BLH BACKUP LIGHT HARNESS 68-72 MOST        29.95        29.95
1.00               CON-TPK6668 4-SPEED CONSOLE TOP PLATE KIT 729.95       729.95
1966-68 B-BODY RIBBED
0.44      1.00     SB070 SHIFT BOOT 70 B-BODY CONSOLE           89.95        89.95
0.82      1.00     CON-SC CONSOLE SIDE COVER 66-70 B             69.95        69.95
1.00                CCS CONSOLE CARPET STRIPS 66-70 B 4SP        89.95        89.95
BLACK
0.36      1.00     CON-MLDG-PR CONSOLE MOLDINGS (PAIR) 66-70 B 179.95   179.95
4-SPEED, REPRODUCTION
            1.00     TPC TRANSMISSION PACKAGING CHARGE           49.95         49.95

Paste here the partial quote from them.$729 for the top plate kit and not $100!

Troy

Since everything on the 68 version is visible when finished, the auto top plate are hard to modify. I have some old (and old looking) 68 4-speed console top plates laying around in the garage. With a little work I believe they could be rechromed for less than $729. I no longer have the side cover or trim but those are the main differences besides the front plate (as long as you cut your own hole in the plastic body). The trim was the hardest part to get for a long time. It was being reproduced but I thought they stopped again.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

six-tee-nine

Doesnt BE&A offer the console trim in repro version?

I know a complete new setup is pricey, but you cant beat the look of a 4 speed with a console....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...