News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

512 Build Thoughts?

Started by comet_666, December 15, 2014, 02:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Hi guys, I am toying with different ideas for my 512 build. This is what I am currently thinking.

440 Block
512 Stroker kit from 440 source
Stealth heads (unported)
Comp Cam Xtreme Energy Hi-Lift .564
Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hydraulic Lifters
440 Source Aluminum Roller Rockers/shafts with Comp Cams "Super Lock" Steel Retainers
Comp Cams Dual Valve Springs for Hyd Cams
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold
Melling M-63HV High Volume Oil Pump
750 CFM Speed Demon™ - Vacuum Secondary

I am very new to this so any input is appreciated!

***I should also mention it is for a street car and want to keep it under the stock hood***

deepockets

It always seams like we spend more money than first budgeted. with that being said in my opinion , I'd use another brand in the rocker area. Also, I just finished building a similar engine 505ci. 4.250 crank with the 7.100 rod length and was dead set on the heads looking original.  I did also use the stealth heads. If I wasn't concerned about that, I'd say go with the edlebrock rpms.

comet_666

As far as stats the eddys and stealths look identical. $600 more for the eddys is quite a bit.

heyoldguy

Why unported Stealth heads, is it to save money?

Challenger340

Holley Street Dominator Intake Manifold provides better under hood clearance, and good power.

We're doing a 505 right now with Stealths(ported), but with a 6 pack setup, I will keep you updated if you wish ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Scaregrabber

Bigger carb, port the heads, different rockers.

Sheldon

fy469rtse

Yep , by all means keep it looking stock , but port the heads ,
Just finished one , to keep it looking stock , modified stock covers , two into one to get the height to clear rockers on
Edelbrock s rpm's , hit all the sharp edges especially to front of heads with a flapper wheel , rounded all edges to make hem look stock ,
Once painted and covers painted black , looked good , only a keen eyed mopar guy could tell,
Your eyes are drawn to covers

fy469rtse

:Twocents: your building a new engine , it could go up in cost , but don't cut cnrs ,
It will come back and bite you  :2thumbs:

comet_666

I was going to use stealth heads for the cost but also my boss used them in his 512 build and was getting around 525/617 with them.
Also, what rockers / carb do you guys suggest?

Challenger340

Quote from: comet_666 on December 16, 2014, 08:52:09 AM
Pretty neat article on manifolds.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0207-intake-manifold-engine-and-rpm-range-test/

Yep, that is a very old article.
Interesting to note, in our experience of late, the Performer RPM Intakes we have been getting for 3-4 years now, always have a Port match issue on at least one pair of Port runners ?
May be we are just seeing bad ones here in Canada ? It seems ALL the crap gets exported to Canada, less chance of it coming back I guess ?
Just sayín
check closely before installing.

Challenger340

Quote from: comet_666 on December 16, 2014, 08:46:48 AM
I was going to use stealth heads for the cost but also my boss used them in his 512 build and was getting around 525/617 with them.

No dis intended, 617 ft/lbs will be great fun  :2thumbs:
but the first number by itself should speak to your contemplation of Porting them ? with more "useable" rpm range thrown in.

comet_666

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 16, 2014, 09:14:22 AM
Quote from: comet_666 on December 16, 2014, 08:46:48 AM

No dis intended, 617 ft/lbs will be great fun  :2thumbs:
but the first number by itself should speak to your contemplation of Porting them ? with more "useable" rpm range thrown in.

^^ I see your point   :yesnod:

comet_666

Taking into consideration your input.....

440 Block
Stealth heads (cleaned up)
440 Source Aluminum Roller Rockers/shafts with Comp Cams "Super Lock" Steel Retainers
Holley Street Dominator intake
Quick Fuel 850 cfm carb with 1/2" spacer

six-tee-nine

I'd only use a set of Stealth heads if I have to for looks, when you want it as factory as possible.

Otherwise I say go for some edelbrock heads. And why not buy them trough someone like for instance Dwayne Porter. Then you get a pair of heads that has been looked over and are good to go and make decent power. Just unbox them, put a gasket on your block torque them down an go.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

comet_666

fy469rtse

still the main weak link in your list ,
440 source rockers , junk , ,
add to list,
banna groove shafts and billit hold downs arp studs or bolts to this area , if budget set rockers , crane ductile, or a set from hughes engines
do not use the cheap nasty ones from 440 , i would use my stock ones rather than these :Twocents:
and port heads , well worth the gains

fy469rtse

oop's my bad , didnt see you had updated rockers
note to self , scroll
but add to the list banna groove thick wall shafts

deepockets

Like I said before, it was important to look stock. Like said earlier in the post, port work for that size engine would sure help. Here's some picts of the port work I did my self and matched the chamber size also. the chambers from head to head had almost 4cc prior to me matching them. Here's some flow numbers.

deepockets

comet_666

I don't really care if it looks stock, that is pretty much out the door anyway especially when anyone hears it.  :icon_smile_big:

440 Block
Stealth heads (cleaned up)
COMP Cams Pro Magnum Shaft Mount Roller Rocker Arms 1621-16
Holley Street Dominator intake
Quick Fuel 850 cfm carb with 1/2" spacer

comet_666

Quote from: deepockets on December 16, 2014, 06:25:26 PM
Like I said before, it was important to look stock. Like said earlier in the post, port work for that size engine would sure help. Here's some picts of the port work I did my self and matched the chamber size also. the chambers from head to head had almost 4cc prior to me matching them. Here's some flow numbers.

That looks really nice!!

Challenger340

The last few sets of Stealths we have seen here have a greatly improved longside radius, and a waaay better throat/bowl transition OOTB, just fine in fact, compared to earlier ones that required much more workto correct.

Maybe somebody from 440 source is listening in here to earlier posts/comments I made ?
Anyways,
Be dammed if they didn't fix it !

IMO,
Within what is now some very reasonable timeframes, impressive extra Flow can be achieved and well warranted vrs $$ spent.

I gotta place them nowadays, on equal or even "better" footing with the Eddy rpm's after our 8 hr "prep for service", including Portwork, re-doing Valve/Seat Angles, etc., etc., with the added benefits of cheaper initial outlay, and "stock" appearance potential when painted.

I still think ANY entry level Head, Eddy or Stealth, is reaching the end of it's targeted application at 500 cubic inchs, nonetheless, cant argue the power numbers for cost !

deepockets

Keep us in touch with what you do.

comet_666

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 17, 2014, 01:07:25 PM
The last few sets of Stealths we have seen here have a greatly improved longside radius, and a waaay better throat/bowl transition OOTB, just fine in fact, compared to earlier ones that required much more workto correct.

Maybe somebody from 440 source is listening in here to earlier posts/comments I made ?
Anyways,
Be dammed if they didn't fix it !

IMO,
Within what is now some very reasonable timeframes, impressive extra Flow can be achieved and well warranted vrs $$ spent.

I gotta place them nowadays, on equal or even "better" footing with the Eddy rpm's after our 8 hr "prep for service", including Portwork, re-doing Valve/Seat Angles, etc., etc., with the added benefits of cheaper initial outlay, and "stock" appearance potential when painted.

I still think ANY entry level Head, Eddy or Stealth, is reaching the end of it's targeted application at 500 cubic inchs, nonetheless, cant argue the power numbers for cost !

Very interesting! I am still trying to get a solid build together and I will post again after I make sure the block is ok to move forward.