News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 in Oregon

Started by A383Wing, December 14, 2014, 01:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

Neat car. It will be for sale for a long time at $60k.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 14, 2014, 05:34:57 PM

What are your thoughts on a price with what you see ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

C500

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 14, 2014, 05:42:59 PM

35-40K obo would be more sensible
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

moparnation74

Quote from: C500 on December 14, 2014, 06:20:47 PM
Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 14, 2014, 05:42:59 PM

35-40K obo would be more sensible
I would have to agree.  Neat ride and sounds complete.  Limited pictures though.

69_500

It is a board members car.

ws23rt

It is mine and I welcome all comments.  I have been here long enough to know what to expect.
I've had this car a long time (1982) and enjoyed all aspects of owning it.
When I first came to this forum it was an effort to find out what was up with the market these days. (I've never participated in internet forums before).
The first thing that I got from here was the enthusiasm for these kind of cars. It changed my mind about selling as well as gave me a heads up on realistic values.
My first price (75k) was a starting point that I chose at the time from just a few internet searches. :shruggy: I felt comfortable with it at the time and it was high enough.  ;) that I would not regret it.
So time passed and thanks to you folks I feel like I could now be a judge at a car show. (that's a compliment btw).
The reason I wanted to sell in the first place is about moving on and creating space. I am aging faster than my projects and want to reduce the load on my kids and grand kids when it is time not to mention I need room.
As to the $60,005 price?---It indicates that I am getting closer with this one and is a tell about my continued reluctance to sell.
Maybe next year I will move down in price and the value of money will be lower.  
One thing I got from all you folks is how tough it is to price something especially if it is a hemi car or the like. (the production numbers were so small that they tend to sit on the side of the rest of the market. (and sometimes for a long time).
As with any deal their will come a point where buyer and seller come together. From (and due to) your collective point of view I have come to agree that it should sell fast at 40k and maybe never at 70k.
As I said I welcome any and all input and don't be shy. :slap:

Edit--add --I always wondered about something like this that has everything that is presentable as a driver and things to do to keep it that way. It's something that sits in between a pile of rusty parts and a finished car which is an ordeal to drive because of the finish.
I started a thread some time back with this question.  
Are their only two kind of buyers? ---Those that want the car done and those that want the adventure of doing everything from scratch to make it so?

moparnation74

Posting it on Carsonline.com would be a great site for this ride.  I just recently did this for a friend of mine.  Sold in two days and a lot of high quality traffic there.(I am not saying yours will sell that fast)

I understand your asking price dilemma in the end it is your ride and ask high to maximize take.  Just my personal opinion on the few pics I saw I would say the take home would be 35-45ish.

There are 3 buyers. 1.  Demand perfection  2. Ok with scratch/blemishes  3.  Want to restore to perfection myself

fc7_plumcrazy

I guess I am part of the small group which comes well along with a driver condition 3-4 car.
The big thing is you can really still enjoy driving it.
My summer daily is a v-code 70 GTX in FC7.
I can drive it to the shopping center or to work and don't have to worry too much.

Carsten

ws23rt

Quote from: moparnation74 on December 14, 2014, 08:59:27 PM
Posting it on Carsonline.com would be a great site for this ride.  I just recently did this for a friend of mine.  Sold in two days and a lot of high quality traffic there.(I am not saying yours will sell that fast)

I understand your asking price dilemma in the end it is your ride and ask high to maximize take.  Just my personal opinion on the few pics I saw I would say the take home would be 35-45ish.

There are 3 buyers. 1.  Demand perfection  2. Ok with scratch/blemishes  3.  Want to restore to perfection myself

Thanks for that.  It is what I see as well. I have it advertised on hemmings on line with a few more pictures and think that is enough to bring a non tire kicker buyer to talk with me. I know every nut and bolt on the car with the blood stains as extra. :eek2:

ws23rt

Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on December 14, 2014, 09:04:41 PM
I guess I am part of the small group which comes well along with a driver condition 3-4 car.
The big thing is you can really still enjoy driving it.
My summer daily is a v-code 70 GTX in FC7.
I can drive it to the shopping center or to work and don't have to worry too much.

Carsten

:2thumbs:  If their were more drivers there will be more happy owners and the public always likes it as well. :yesnod:

C500

The pics you posted on hemmings give a better impression than those on fbbo only - looks like you posted the worst shots on fbbo. For me, an accurate price comes down to the amount of bodywork required. If the trunk pan needs replacing, along with full quarters and sills, this is my estimate at 35-40k and based on your fbbo pics. Hard to tell how the rest of the trunk floor is from your picture, and the floors in general. I had some rust spots in my sills too, but going back to bare steel, they were isolated and a fairly easy repair was done (properly too). If the rust bubbling you have can be removed and patched with steel, you could fetch somewhere in the 50's I would think, and I hope you do, but the tin worm looks to be pretty well established in those quarters.  :Twocents:  :cheers:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

ws23rt

Quote from: C500 on December 14, 2014, 11:12:52 PM
The pics you posted on hemmings give a better impression than those on fbbo only - looks like you posted the worst shots on fbbo. For me, an accurate price comes down to the amount of bodywork required. If the trunk pan needs replacing, along with full quarters and sills, this is my estimate at 35-40k and based on your fbbo pics. Hard to tell how the rest of the trunk floor is from your picture, and the floors in general. I had some rust spots in my sills too, but going back to bare steel, they were isolated and a fairly easy repair was done (properly too). If the rust bubbling you have can be removed and patched with steel, you could fetch somewhere in the 50's I would think, and I hope you do, but the tin worm looks to be pretty well established in those quarters.  :Twocents:  :cheers:

When I had the car apart and prepping it for paint those areas (the ones with the  bubbles) were not accessible and did not grab my attention. At the time I was not aware of how those areas can hold and retain moisture. They seemed sound at the time and I added some panel sealer to those areas as a just incase. That at the very least did no good.
When I found those blisters and stabbed them water came out. These places can hold water from washing the car and if it has no way to drain this will happen.
The trunk panel had heavy rust on the floor but no holes and the current pics show rusty evidence that it needs to be replaced.
I have no pics of the floor pan but at the time felt no reason to take them (no rust).
From time to time I am tempted to address these problems.  Should  I do this?  Or should I let the next owner decide what they want to do.
For now it seems right for me to not fix anymore of this car since I want to sell it.  Anything I would do from here would just be perhaps a patch and not be of good value to the next owner.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't want to put lipstick on this car just to sell it.  ;)

500Jon

Hi WS23rt,

What a wonderful car you have there, you must be mad to sell it!!!
And why didn't you call me back in 2004 when I was looking for a B5 500??? :'( :'( :'(

Any ways back to the question, 'what's it worth?'.....
$15,000 ten years ago is probably $30,000 now for a project car C500! (what I paid).

How much more for a driver C500, maybe just maybe DOUBLE that???(no not really)

HOW MUCH FOR A RESTORED C500 WITH A GOOD COLOUR $75,000?

It doesn't leave much in the pot to do a resto from $50,000??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Why didn't the original 440 get rebuilt?
Now you have shown the car and its bodywork faults, its gonna be kinda hard to cover them up now.
And those CHROME covers have just Gotta GO LOL!!! :misbehaving: :flush: :drive:

500Jon now DayJona...
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

ws23rt

Quote from: 500Jon on December 15, 2014, 09:21:48 AM
Hi WS23rt,

What a wonderful car you have there, you must be mad to sell it!!!
And why didn't you call me back in 2004 when I was looking for a B5 500??? :'( :'( :'(

Any ways back to the question, 'what's it worth?'.....
$15,000 ten years ago is probably $30,000 now for a project car C500! (what I paid).

How much more for a driver C500, maybe just maybe DOUBLE that???(no not really)

HOW MUCH FOR A RESTORED C500 WITH A GOOD COLOUR $75,000?

It doesn't leave much in the pot to do a resto from $50,000??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Why didn't the original 440 get rebuilt?
Now you have shown the car and its bodywork faults, its gonna be kinda hard to cover them up now.
And those CHROME covers have just Gotta GO LOL!!! :misbehaving: :flush: :drive:

500Jon now DayJona...

Hi DayJona
Thanks for the frank talk about the value. It seems that these cars have been sort of an underdog and unseen by the general public from day one. I wonder if anyone has tossed the grill and pulled out the rear window plug of one of these to make an RT out of it :slap:.
My current price indicates how I feel about selling and would only become it's value if someone makes it so. :shruggy:
As for the engine not getting rebuilt.  At the time it didn't occur to me that it would be as important as it is and didn't know about the vin on the block. Also the 70 engine was ready to go when I pulled the old one for paint. :shruggy:
Showing the bodywork faults is just my way of getting around tire kickers. I don't pretend to be a good salesman and the flaws are what a buyer needs to see the most anyway.  We all know what they look like in glamor shots.
I have the original orange valve covers with patina --all part of the deal :smilielol: :cheers:
Bruce

RallyeMike

I also think its about max a 40k car considering the color and that the original engine comes with it. That's just what these 500's go for :shruggy: After all... as has been said on this site, they are the cheap model with the fixed headlights  :lol:

It doesn't hurt to start high if you're not in a rush.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ws23rt

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 15, 2014, 10:31:37 PM
I also think its about max a 40k car considering the color and that the original engine comes with it. That's just what these 500's go for :shruggy: After all... as has been said on this site, they are the cheap model with the fixed headlights  :lol:

It doesn't hurt to start high if you're not in a rush.

I am by no means in a rush. This car is still a passion with me and I know when it's gone I will regret it.  I had a hard time pushing my son out of the house when the time came and remember that not being a good time in life.  As for the starting price it was $60,005 to leave room to haggle. ;)  At FBBO they spanked me for that.
I had a car for sale once.--A 57 Imperial with a 392 hemi complete and running with everything working--- My price was $392. A buyer wanted it real bad and offered me $375. I said come back next year and the price will still be $392 and your money will be worth about $375.
He came back the next day with a bag full of change (perhaps to make me feel bad :shruggy:)
As I said being a salesman is not my thing. I learned about it at an early age (17) I was taken in by a guy to sell the rainbow vacuum cleaners. What I ended up doing was selling one each to my mother and sister as part of my training. The whole scam was for that to happen and I am still feeling guilt and shame from that experience.
And --Hey I said that on this site---they are the cheap model with the fixed headlights. :smilielol:  They may as well all been painted black and called sheep.
As a matter of fact ---not that I can attest to any---They were only made for the public as a way to promote the brand in racing.
My recall is dodge was looking at image in the racing world and made these (black sheep) only to move forward and comply with rules that came from wherever. :shruggy:
They are the Rodney Dangerfield of cars.  
In this day and age I protest.  They should be allowed their own parking spots!!  :Twocents:   So there :smilielol:

BTW my preference is that this thread not dwell on my car and the fact that it's for sale. The input about it's value and standing in the mopar world is of course of interest to me and perhaps others. But I would like to hear more about stories people have about them from the early days. :cheers:

moparnation74

All model lines has some type of cult following.

It is a great candidate for a complete restoration and I like the fact nothing is being hidden here.  As far as the motor not in the car, no loss there either.  It has to be rebuilt anyway.

500Jon

Charger 500's need their own page away from the Moving headlight crowd!!! :nana:
Oh yes and away from the Hidden headlight crowd toooo..................... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

DayJona now back too 500Jon!!!

I never sit on the fence, I run with the Fox and hunt with the Hounds!
(Scarlet Pimpernel) :nutkick:

charger_fan_4ever

Once my 70 is done (getting closer) i hope to join the C500 cult one day. Ever since i saw the white hemi 500 with red tailstripe yearsss ago at a show i was sold.
It will sell for sure.

RallyeMike

QuoteI had a car for sale once.--A 57 Imperial with a 392 hemi complete and running with everything working--- My price was $392

Ack! Let me know if that deal comes along again! I swear I won't pay in change.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

1970Moparmann

Sorry to hear your selling it again....
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

500Jon

Hi Charger_fan,

Would that be the ex Juliuses white hemi 500?
I saw that in 2004 in an LA showroom too.
The price tag was $75,000, I thought it must be the wrong price?
Went in and saw the salesman to ask him 'what's with the price' on the 500?
He thought, I meant it was too dear!
He said if you wanna cut a deal best see Julius himself and sends me over to see him.

Well one thing leads to another and I buys a C500 from his good friend and so did my mate too! :2thumbs:
Three C500's within a five mile radius!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

DayJona aka 5J, its not easy being GREEN!!! :pity:

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 500Jon on December 18, 2014, 09:20:26 AM
Hi Charger_fan,

Would that be the ex Juliuses white hemi 500?
I saw that in 2004 in an LA showroom too.
The price tag was $75,000, I thought it must be the wrong price?
Went in and saw the salesman to ask him 'what's with the price' on the 500?
He thought, I meant it was too dear!
He said if you wanna cut a deal best see Julius himself and sends me over to see him.

Well one thing leads to another and I buys a C500 from his good friend and so did my mate too! :2thumbs:
Three C500's within a five mile radius!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

DayJona aka 5J, its not easy being GREEN!!! :pity:

Hey I'm not sure if its the same one or not. This car used to be in Ontario Canada back in the mid 90's. I saw it at a show a couple imes. I believe it ended up going to the U.S.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701