News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger restoration

Started by holanae, December 12, 2014, 09:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73rallye440magnum

Quote from: holanae on December 12, 2014, 03:16:15 PM
More external sub components that I have cleaned up.  Anybody have any experience with the bumper bolt kits on ebay?

If I may make a recommendation- if you're going to go through the effort of cleaning up all the chassis parts for repaint, paint them with something catalyzed. Rattle can paint is not durable and after all the effort of disassembly, prep, paint, assembly, the last thing you want is failed paint after six months of normal use. 

Sweet project!
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

holanae

The grey I sprayed on the car ten plus years ago to protect it from rusting any further saved alot of pieces.  I have atleast four coats of paint on everything.  What other options are out there that would be better that are readily available?  Parts are still off the car so there is still time

holanae

Floor pan replacement

holanae

More

holanae

My body guy sent this one.  Can anybody tell me what the metal work is on the top of the fender?  My deciding factor on going with him was because he is anti bondo.

Cncguy

Looks like he may be leading the seam. Meaning he didn't but weld the panel

Charger-Bodie

Looks like fiber strand filler to me.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

73rallye440magnum

Quote from: holanae on December 14, 2014, 10:50:31 PM
The grey I sprayed on the car ten plus years ago to protect it from rusting any further saved alot of pieces.  I have atleast four coats of paint on everything.  What other options are out there that would be better that are readily available?  Parts are still off the car so there is still time

Anything catalyzed. Pick a paint system. Epoxy your parts and then spray them with whatever gloss level single stage enamel color you feel like running with.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

holanae

I need everybody's thoughts on this one.  This is my paint body owners car, and he forwarded on to me to see the color. I was planning on going with the green color below with satin black stripes and satin black tail section. Now I am thinking of going green with the silver as the stripe, plus the satin black tail assembly, but that same paint combination would look good also.  Thoughts would be greatly appreciative.  The green is called Jalapeno Opalescence Green, and it would have small metal flake in it like in the photo.  The color is lighter in the sunlight, but darker in the shade. 

Here is the same color on a roadster.
http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/displaycar?stock=5946&location=STL

Ghoste

mopar4don

Wow, silver and green! That looks really good!
Do you have a pic of the whole car?

ACUDANUT

Anything but green. NICE CAR though.  :cheers:

MxRacer855

I don't know if I'm a big fan of a green Charger, but I love the color!  :yesnod: :cheers: :2thumbs:

holanae

It is my body shop owner's 70 coronet that he is restoring.  He painted the green stripe on his car and asked if I wanted to come see it in person.  Better than a paint sample.  It has a mild pearl appeal to it.  I decided to stick with my original set up and paint the whole car green with a satin stripe and tail assembly.  It stands out in the sun.

green69rt

Just looking at the floor and was wondering how the seat belt bolt holes are sealed, especially the ones that are located on the inside of the inner rocker?    The nut is actually inside of the rocker so the hole in the floor is not sealed to the rocker that I can tell. :shruggy:

holanae

Car will be back at the shop first week of January for me to look over.   His body/paint shop is at a private location from his regular shop, and customers can't visit it.  He had alot of break-ins at his previous body shop.  I respect this rule from one customer to the next.   I will add it to my list of things to look at very closely.

holanae

How do I get the LCA Bushing sleeve out of the LCA?  I was going to take a hammer and chisel to it, but wanted to ask first.  I plan to start reassembling the steering & front suspension shortly.  I want to have it ready for when the car gets here.

JamieZ

i used a large tap (about $20 on ebay) and then pressed it out

ACUDANUT

Quote from: MxRacer855 on December 18, 2014, 11:30:10 PM
I don't know if I'm a big fan of a green Charger, but I love the color!  :yesnod: :cheers: :2thumbs:

I bet you love the color of Diarrhea green.

will

When I had my k-frame out I had the gussets welded with the kit from firm feel. They will send you everything you need. I'd get all the reinforcing plates for the LCA's and the washers to upgrade the torsion bar mounts. Have the k-frame seal welded all the way around and then have it powder coated chassis black. Looks great and oil wipes up easy. Get the tubular uppers and go from there.

holanae

Just finished the paint with the first coat of clear.  It will get two more coats of clear before I get it back.

JB400

keepat

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

MxRacer855

Quote from: holanae on January 09, 2015, 04:04:11 PM
Just finished the paint with the first coat of clear.  It will get two more coats of clear before I get it back.

:2thumbs:

I couldn't remember what you said before... is there a strong metallic flake in that?