News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger restoration

Started by holanae, December 12, 2014, 09:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holanae

I have finally started the restoration on my 68 charger.  It's been in the family for a long time.  It has sat stripped down for the last 10 years.  I'm super excited on the progress I've already made.  I've been collecting parts for the last year, and finally decided that it was time to pull the trigger.

holanae

Starting out condition

holanae

Body parts I've collected over the last year.

phantom

holanae

Most are Goodmark, but there are a few AMD pieces in there.

holanae

Car at the media blaster.  I only had him strip what I wasn't having replaced.

holanae

few more

green69rt

Excellent start, from the pictures it looks like your frames are a really good shape.   Keep us posted.  :cheers:

holanae

While the car is at the body shop, I worked on some external pieces.  A before/after of the rear end that I finished up today.  I went through DoctorDiff for everything.  He has answered every question and concern i've had thus far.

green69rt

If your car is still at the blasters, it might be a good idea to cut out enough of the trunk floor and the pass floor to blast the inside of the frame rails.  I would NOT recommend removing the complete pass compartment floor (while on the rotisserie) as it provides a lot of the strength to the body.

holanae

I've been reading alot on here (homework) and came up with a list of things to let my body guy know what to do beyond the norm.  That was one of them.  The body work is complete.  All is left is to prep and paint.  He's waiting for the weather to get right before he starts.  I will post body work later. 

I originally set out to do all the body work myself, but I have never welded before, and I wasn't about to learn on this project.  I am very anal in my work, and I don't think I would ever be happy with my completed work.  Plus, I could have ended up screwing up something and have to pay somebody to fix it.  Vicious cycle. :brickwall:

holanae

More external sub components that I have cleaned up.  Anybody have any experience with the bumper bolt kits on ebay?

holanae

Referencing the rear end picture above, does anybody know where the clamp on the passenger E-cable bolts to?  Does it bolt ontop of the differential snubber plate, or does it bolt onto the belly of the car?

green69rt

I guess you're asking which hole on this pic,  don't remember for sure but I'm sure someone on here will chime in (left or right hole guys??)

VegasCharger

Quote from: holanae on December 12, 2014, 04:38:17 PM
Referencing the rear end picture above, does anybody know where the clamp on the passenger E-cable bolts to?  Does it bolt ontop of the differential snubber plate, or does it bolt onto the belly of the car?

Just took some pics from my 68 to answer your question. Sorry for the poor picture quality as I was laying on my back in a cold dark garage LOL. The two mounting points are 1) on the rear axle just like yours show in your pic. 2) like green69rt posted, the other one is near the driver's side forward tailpipe OEM hanger.

Hope this helps.

holanae

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

MxRacer855

moparnation74

Great Job!!!  Keep on rollin!!!

Nice smoker grill you got in your garage!

MxRacer855

Speaking of that garage... all of that space just makes my mouth water!  :drool5:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

fy469rtse

Don't worry Jeff , the way he's restoring parts and laying them out,
Been there ! Won't be any room left shortly
Good bu :popcrn:ild , high quality

MxRacer855

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 14, 2014, 04:31:38 AM
Don't worry Jeff , the way he's restoring parts and laying them out,
Been there ! Won't be any room left shortly
Good bu :popcrn:ild , high quality
:lol: :lol: :rofl: I filled my 2 car garage and 3/4 of the basement up in 2 weeks! You need an aviation hanger to rebuild 1 car! I had no idea!!! ..and I'm NOT even doing my own body/paint work (no need for a temporary booth and spray area). ;D

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

holanae

I built a large shelving unit to store everything.  I wasn't able to walk around in my garage and it was driving me crazy.