News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Burnt 1968 GTX 440 4 speed

Started by 69bronzeT5, December 11, 2014, 08:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Came across this while doing Copart searches. It's a true 440 car. Such a shame, wonder what happened. I'm thinking wiring behind the dash based on the heat sourcing from that area..... :rotz: :'(

RS23L8A185043

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e6s1&lotId=32326424&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69bronzeT5

69bronzeT5

TUFCAT

you're right, it appears to be a dash fire....very sad.  :'(   Looks to be a nicely restored car.

A12 Superbee

That's a tragedy!!!!!!!!

I'm going for a second fire extinguisher as I don't reckon one will be enough for most car fires.
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

472 R/T SE

Looks like amp gauge might have had the dreaded loose connection  :shruggy:  . 

ws23rt

It would be helpful to many if their was some info about what was happening at the time the fire started.  For instance---was the battery connected for the first time on a project and left alone for a time?  
A fire extinguisher should always be close at hand for what we play with.
I am always a bit on edge when I connect the battery for the first time.  An unexpected spark at the batt. connection is not to be passed off until later. :Twocents:

myk

Hope the owner was insured.

And...every old car owner should have a fire extinguisher handy; you never know when one of these crates will decide to go up in smoke, restored or not...

ws23rt

Quote from: myk on December 11, 2014, 10:15:18 PM
Hope the owner was insured.

And...every old car owner should have a fire extinguisher handy; you never know when one of these crates will decide to go up in smoke, restored or not...

:2thumbs:  Also when we walk away from our project in process for a bit treat it as a child that could do something bad when we are not looking.
My garage is my basement and if something like this were to happen it could take out the whole house.

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Ghoste

And if you are leaving it to sit, disconnect the battery.  I know its a pain in the ass to reset your clock but you can do it more quickly than you can replace a car that burns.

67440chrg

I get looks when I unhook my battery at cruises but I dont care. I even unhook it at church when I am only there for a hour.

tan top

:rotz: never a good sight to see  , some ones pride & joy gone up in flames !     looks fixable  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

fc7_plumcrazy

moparnation74

Quote from: 67440chrg on December 12, 2014, 10:20:20 AM
I get looks when I unhook my battery at cruises but I dont care. I even unhook it at church when I am only there for a hour.
I get the same looks as well.  And questions.  Why would you do that?  The above pics is why.

As others stated have a fire extinguisher handy!

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Ghoste on December 12, 2014, 07:18:05 AM
And if you are leaving it to sit, disconnect the battery.  I know its a pain in the ass to reset your clock but you can do it more quickly than you can replace a car that burns.

For me it doesn't have to be a project or a fresh restoration.  I've just automatically opened the hood when I got somewhere & disconnected the +.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: moparnation74 on December 12, 2014, 07:46:39 PM
Quote from: 67440chrg on December 12, 2014, 10:20:20 AM
I get the same looks as well.  And questions.  Why would you do that?  The above pics is why.

As others stated have a fire extinguisher handy!

I went to an AACA meet this fall and was told on the application and at the show to have a fire extinguisher positioned by the left front tire while at the show. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

RJS

Boy that really looks like an Old Friend's car. I heard it went to Florida, is that were this happened??
Ron

bristol

Quote from: RJS on December 14, 2014, 11:16:29 AM
Boy that really looks like an Old Friend's car. I heard it went to Florida, is that were this happened??
Ron

Yeah says Tampa.

RJS

The triple black and the headrests make me believe it's the same car.  It was originally a 440 auto with 8 3/4 rear all matching.
The guy I knew was 2nd owner and when he built a new motor he just used another 440 and left the matching block at machine shop, then converted it to 4 speed and gave away the matching trans.  Then he wanted a Dana so off went the original rear.  He insisted on adding the headrests to his seats even though didn't come that way.
The car was super nice but the tell-tail would be he restored the dash years ago and just used regular rivets on the vin.tag and it had a generic piece of metal welded into the trunk to repair the floor.
It was one of the nicest riding Mopars I was ever in.
Ron

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: RJS on December 14, 2014, 07:56:23 PM
The triple black and the headrests make me believe it's the same car.  It was originally a 440 auto with 8 3/4 rear all matching.
The guy I knew was 2nd owner and when he built a new motor he just used another 440 and left the matching block at machine shop, then converted it to 4 speed and gave away the matching trans.  Then he wanted a Dana so off went the original rear.  He insisted on adding the headrests to his seats even though didn't come that way.
The car was super nice but the tell-tail would be he restored the dash years ago and just used regular rivets on the vin.tag and it had a generic piece of metal welded into the trunk to repair the floor.
Ron

I was thinking the same Ron....looks like this engine was sprayed orange though...I know Jimmy's was the correct blue....although it could have been resprayed :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RJS

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 15, 2014, 06:34:39 AM
Quote from: RJS on December 14, 2014, 07:56:23 PM
Ron

I hope your right Chris, the other thing that came to mind was I think he had a 26" radiator in a 22" opening.
Sucks that this one is gone but hope it's a different one.
Ron

I was thinking the same Ron....looks like this engine was sprayed orange though...I know Jimmy's was the correct blue....although it could have been resprayed :scratchchin:

Bulldog69

What a shame!  Thanks for sharing though. Some real good advice about the fire extinguishers and batteries. Thank you!  Maybe when I get ready to hook mine up for the first time, I'll do it outside instead of the garage/house.

wingcar

Sad, very sad......it's a reality check for the rest of us..... :'(
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400