News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LESS HP wanted as I get older...anyone feel the same way?

Started by ChargerBill, March 23, 2006, 10:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this themselves. I have noticed that my opinion or attitude about having 550 HP and being able to boil the tires on a street car have changed a bit over the way I used to feel a few years ago. I mean, the more I think about it, the less I really think I "need" or want a 550 HP, 8 mpg street car. If i were dragging it on weekends i'd feel differently, but as a weekend driver that is going to make 300 to 500 mile trips every once in a while I think I may just stay around 400 HP. My ego is probably one of the things that got in the way of this realization, but as I get older and mellow out a bit I don't really see the need or valid reason. Does this happen with age?...getting more reasonable and pragmatic? Whatever the reason, I'm glad I didn't have the engine built 5 years ago to 550 HP or 600 HP. Maybe if I had 3 or 4 cars to mess with I would WANT and HAVE my MONSTER HP car, but with one to choose from I'd rather have a well rounded ride than one that was a chore to drive and cost a fortune to fill up. I wonder how many guys build high perf motors and end up disappointed with how tempermental and impractical they are for weekend driving around town? Anyone have any input or similar experience?
Life is a highway...

terrible one

Bill,

A bit off topic, and not trying to hi-jack the thread, but what is your engine combo currently? Just would like some ideas...I'm still young  :icon_smile_big:

RD

QuoteLESS HP wanted as I get older...anyone feel the same way?

naaaahhh......... its just you :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Telvis

I agree to some extent. I want to be able to smoke the tires occasionally but I don't car how fast it does the quarter mile. I like the idea of a good well balanced car.

TruckDriver

Quote from: RD on March 23, 2006, 10:59:57 PM
QuoteLESS HP wanted as I get older...anyone feel the same way?

naaaahhh......... its just you :D

I agree. I never had a car with over 350HP, and I want one..................BAD!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Danny Gutierrez

I was starting to think I was the only one who thought this way.  I love the feeling of owning a car with the "lumpy" idle and "sting your eyes" exhaust as much as the next guy, but in reality, I REALLY want better driveability!!!  Spending hours timing and tuning my carb is amusing as a time killer, but I'd rather spend my time driving my beast.  Besides, my car screams above 3500 RPM but how often do I get to run it at WOT?  It seems that every time I punch it for fun, the law comes calling to see what all the fuss and noise is!!!  I didn't realize just how many cops nowadays don't give a darn about how "cool" your car is. :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

firefighter3931

You can have your cake and eat it too....think stroker  ;) It's pretty easy to build a 550hp combo that idles at 850 rpm with a little planning and execution.....mellow enough to run AC, PS and PB.  :icon_smile_cool:

I hear where you're coming from though. Just build it to suit your driving style and enjoy it.   :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

MOPARHOUND!

:iagree:

I resemble those remarks.  :yesnod:

Some days I like the exhaust loud, some days I wonder how much stock hemi mufflers would quiet it down though.

The next size smaller cam has been a surprise, more driveable, and since I rarely see above 5000 rpm, the larger cam in my application was overkill for what I do with the Charger.  Fun while it lasted though.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

2fast4u

your kidding!!!    right Bill???

HELL NO!!!!       MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLOWN AND BEAUTIFUL!!                             YEAH BABY!!!
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Just 6T9 CHGR

I agree Bill.   My Charger and I have "evolved" over the years.....from a simple change from FlawBastards to stock Hemi mufflers, taking off my harsh riding KYB's and putting back a nice set of Monroe's to making the decision to build my 440 mildly.....I enjoy driving my car.
Not knocking the "louder the better" crowd, just my personal tastes.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

limey

Well, Bill, I've just turned thirty recently, and feel that I have changed my opinion too. I love the idea of  a 500hp motor, the burnouts the smoke, the whoops and hollers....but... when push comes to shove, I know that when I get my new charger it is going to be more of a boulevardier cruiser, I want the power to decimate everything on the motorway (freeway) on ramps,  ;) ;)
but I have seen too much bad stuff happen with overpowered out of control motors. :'(
Of course it is a personal thing, and I'm not suggesting that any of you without my personal experience should change your views...Hell, a stock 440 is still a pretty damn potent machine in the world we live in today!! ;D
Nick (limey)
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

BB1

Me three Bill, I want reliability and just a smooth running car.
I just want a stock engine with a little lumpy cam, that's it.

HP is waisted on the youth.  ^-^
Delete my profile

rt green

my solution was two cars. the 4 speed rt for cruising around and to work. and a gtx for block hopping. had two cars, and the gtx had the steep gears with a dana. seemed like the best way to go for me.  bruce 
third string oil changer

Shakey

I look forward to getting my car on the road.  Sure, I'll be pleased knowing that I have a bunch of HP under the hood but I truly feel I'll enjoy the car most just cruising around town.  I think of Saturday and Sunday afternoons with the family but I think I'll look forward most to a Friday night, after the Wife and Child are in bed, cruising the streets not looking for trouble, just enjoying the car that I have built.

By the time the car is finished I will have spent more than I should have and I can't see my Wife being too pleased with me buying new tires every year.

Yes, I'll most likely leave some rubber on the road at certain traffic lights, but that won't be at all of them.

6pkrunner

Certainly true. As one gets older they calm down quite an extent. You're not roasting off every stop sign or read light or racing every car in the next lane to you - which is what we did as kids. So you're not singing off the redline constantly. Therefore no need for 600 hp on tap all the time.
I've gone to the even further remote next step in which there is more fun building them than taking them out into that demolition derby called the roadways.
But yes as a 17 or 18 year old a toggle switch would have replaced the throttle. The car was at redline or shut off. now things are a tad bit more laid back and I do not need to be on the far side of 100mph everyday.

Old Moparz

Bill's just being a pansy.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

AKcharger

Well one thing that I've found about horse power is it's inversely proportional to reliability...the farther you get from stock the more likely it is to break. Sure there are a few cars that can make killer power AND complete a cross country drive but think about it, when they do there is a whole magazine article dedicated to the feat!! kind of tells 'ya something.

Plus there is ALWAYS someone out there faster, usually in a Chevy  :o Heresy you say? No economics; for every $1 we put in our engines a Chevy guy can put the equivalent of $5 in his...we all know this to be true.

Finally drivabilty Is your wife and kids going to want to travel 3000 miles in a loud, slow (at highway speeds) slow car for hours on end..maybe once. I think it's nice to know I can jump in my Charger and drive it accross the country without a second thought

Todd Wilson

I still havent had the 550hp car yet in my life.  Hopefully someday that will happen but with the way gas prices are going these days I am happy I have 318's in my Chargers.  I think these 318 cars will really start to shine in the coming years. I really have no desire to top end my Chargers anymore. I been there and done that long ago.  I'd like to have 2 more toys before its over with and thats a Dart which could end up being my 550hp car  and an old slow Power Wagon.

I really enjoy cruising around with the windows down and the stereo up going up and down the main street and then get out on the highway for a drive.  Heck last fall I went to 2 different car shows and put over 100 miles on my 71 and enjoyed it a lot. Didnt have to worry about over heating or expensive fuel. I went to one show and decided what the heck lets go to another town to another show and took off and drove!

Todd

Brock Samson

I agree.

In my case i'm driving less "stop light to stoplight, & innercity hill climbing"  (what I built my car to do),  and much more freeway cruising... that's where the S.S. Springs are a liability, so these days im more concerned with "Freeway Ride"... I'm wanting to soften the ride these days and add some sound deadining and something quieter then my Flow Masters... then maybe i could try having a stereo...  :icon_smile_wink:

I just went from poly bushings in front to rubber which has somewhat changed the balance of my R/T now I want the Heavy Duty rear springs to replace the S.S. springs,..  which are perfect for launching and that's about it...   :drive:
Then i can lower the car...

I'm happy with the motors' power.  :icon_smile_wink:

bull

I agree too. I like short bursts of speed from time to time but I rarely push it like I used to. I'm sure having two little girls and a wife in the car most of the time has something to do with it. I used to play around with people going faster than me, as in they come screaming up behind me and I would gun it to outrun them before they got to me and then do a little tag. Now I just let them go and figure they are doing me the service of clearing out any cop cars waiting ahead. :icon_smile_big: I think that's why I'm perfectly happy with owning a 383 car. The 383 I had in my '70 was plenty fast for an 18-year-old so I'm figuring it will be more than enough in a '68 for a 39-year-old.

Charger_Croatia

I'm thinking about 350 HP which should be more than enough for local "heroes" around here. And she would be used more often than I thought (probably).

So, one more with Bill.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Charger_Fan

Pertaining to my Charger, I'll admit that I've been thinking the same kind of thing...especially with the price of gas these days. I'd like to be able to drive it wherever I wanted, so I think I'd even be pretty happy with a stout, yet streetable small block under the hood...or better yet, a late model style injected 360, as long as the rest of the car looked great.

However, I'd love to drive a ground-pounding animal too & haven't completely grown out of that yet. I'd like to build a monster engine & slap it in a 1/4 mile car, just so I could go flatten my eyeballs now & then. :o :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

NYCMille

As long as you can smoke the tires at will, I have no problem with anyone's engine combination. A Dodge Charger of any year that cannot ROAST THE HIDES needs MORE POWER!

73rallye440magnum

When the guy I bought my car from built my engine he basically went stock for 73. He did a little bit of headwork and put in a stock cam. It has factory exhaust manifolds and turbo mufflers. I think it sounds great and I know it will roast the tires all day. So I'm guessing 300 horse and 400 torque at the rear wheels. That will be plenty for me as I just really want to drive more then anything. I'm sure I'll have a little fun but I have friends with smallblocks that will bounce of 8 grand and run high 11's low 12's. This doensn't mean that I don't want a 500+ horse engine but I'm just fine now with what I've got. I just can't wait to drive it! I think cruising will be a little more fun then beating the crap out of it. I've put too much time in it to wreck it. 
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0