News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 round marker lights

Started by thereverend, December 06, 2014, 06:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thereverend

I have to be honest...I don't like the 68 round marker lights at all.  I heard them described as "whale eyes"...I agree.  Just my $.02 though

So, I've seen other 68's that just weld the holes shut...don't they have to have SOMETHING?  I know 69 only had reflectors, 70 had lights and retroflectors....but what's the story about nothing at all?  Isn't that illegal and asking for the red lights to come on in your rearview?

What have you all done?
2011 ram
'68 charger

www.firstlutheranmch.com

HANDM

Most people wouldn't notice, same would go for the cops.........

DTB

I would say it probably depends on the state but on a car that old you could probably get away with it in most places. In the classic truck world the side marker lights are filled in pretty commonly. And there are plenty of Generals running around without markers.Personally I don't like the 68 markers either. I don't know if it's so much the shape as it is the placement being so high on the fenders compared to the 69 and 70 models.

don duick

yeah I dont like them either the 68 charger would be 100% perfect car without them. If I bought a 68 in good condition I would leave them. If I was doing bodywork and paint then I would weld the holes. As being Illegal I would take a punt and try my luck. If I got caught I would play dumb and say I did not know. What is the worst that can happen? a defect notice and then drill out the holes and install them.

Ghoste

It's one of the features I really like on the 68 model Dodge and Plymouth cars but if you can't live with them I wouldn't sweat the legality, I'm sure 95% of the police on the road today would have no idea.

VegasCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on December 06, 2014, 06:40:24 PM
It's one of the features I really like on the 68 model Dodge and Plymouth cars but if you can't live with them I wouldn't sweat the legality, I'm sure 95% of the police on the road today would have no idea.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Baldwinvette77

I speak only for ontario, but they aren't required on 1968-1970  cars  :shruggy: and as for the 70's cars, i agree, noone would know or remember  :lol:

Ghoste

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on December 06, 2014, 06:40:24 PM

I love the side markers on the 68's, along with every other feature of that year.  I'd argue that it's the best year of the 2nd gens...

Ghoste

What?  Based on a single cool feature?  1969 was the best year for styling so I guess I just don't understand your thought process here. :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

kanadanmajava

Here in Finland having red side markers is illegal so usually all side markers are disabled or removed from American cars (which is legal). The rear ones could be of course changed to orange bit it depends if you like to have as little lights as possible or the opposite. The orange front parking lights are also illegal here (but those you just cannot remove) but that shouldn't be a problem with Chargers.

The French guy who had an original European '68 Charger seemed to have red rear side markers in is car but hard to say if they were working. Its possible that the red ones were legal in other European countries.

RECHRGD

I love the side markers!  But if you want them gone, I see no legal problem at all.  They are not required on new cars, so why would police want to enforce a 46 year old, obsolete requirement.........
13.53 @ 105.32

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on December 07, 2014, 02:23:41 AM
What?  Based on a single cool feature?  1969 was the best year for styling so I guess I just don't understand your thought process here. :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

:poke:  :stirthepot:   :lol:

I respectfully disagree.  :angel:    Admittedly, the '69 is my least favorite of the 2nd gens, styling-wise.  :pity:

Love the round '68 side markers!!  :drool5:  They compliment the round tail lamps beautifully. Very classy design.
They cheapened out in '69 with plain reflectors. The '70 side markers also flow well with the front bumper and wide tail lights.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Are you guys still bickering over which one is the best?   :lol:

If you have to make the argument based on small design changes then I think it's safe to say they are all friggin' awesome! 

I loved my '68 and I love my '69, and at no time do I feel anything less than super stoked driving one of these beasts.

OP, I would doubt anyone would pull you over for ditching the side markers.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Nah, its just like brothers needling each other a bit.  :icon_smile_big:

Dino

Ah yes, nothing like sibling rivalry.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

MxRacer855

I'm definitely a fan of the round side marker lights on the 68's... but if you chose to eliminate them, then I really believe you'll be fine. Cars these days are made to pass certain standards. Obviously cars back then didn't have to meet todays requirements, so it's difficult for a police officer to discern whether or not there is supposed to be something there in the first place.

Minor difference to the law, big difference to us if you love/hate them. I would definitely do what you want to without any regard for state law in this instance. It just seems so minor and trivial for something that makes such a large difference to the owner. Take antennas for instance... I can't stand it, so we eliminated it altogether. No regrets!  :icon_smile_big:

69wannabe

When I first bought my car it was and kinda still is a 68 and when I was running it that way as a 68 I liked the 68 marker's and had all of them working which I thought was an added bonus that they were actually working lights!!! I bought the car at a real deal running and driving for less than 4 grand but I really wanted a 69 model but for that price and me being very slim with what I could actually spend I paid the guy and drove it home. I had no problems with the 68 grille which looks great to me but them round taillights had to go!!! When I decided to do the conversion the taillights were the first thing to get changed. I drove it for several years with 69 taillights and a 68 grille in it and still sporting the 68 markers. Finally swapped out the grille and drove it a few more years with the 68 markers but they were rarely noticed unless it was a true mopar fan. Finally got the 69 rear valence and fenders and quarters to make the outside appearance all 69 features. If it's a 68 yeah I like the whale eye's because they are supposed to be there and they look good at night when they are working!!! :Twocents:

bull

It's hard for me to believe someone would hate the round markers enough to choose to endure the monumental hassle removing them would create.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Ghoste on December 07, 2014, 02:23:41 AM
1969 was the best year for styling

Repeated polls on this forum tell a different story.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

F8-4life

69 marker lights look good mounted lower & rectangular, but they are cheap reflectors.
68 lights are more classy imo being actual lights w/ chrome bezels.
I like them both but I'm also glad the 68  lights match the rest of the car and same on the 69 , if that makes sense.

JB400

68 marker light= chrome pimple on a great looking body.   

;)

squeakfinder

I'm sure I've read someplace that they are not required. Now some trailers require them because of there length.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

F8-4life

troy.70R/T

I like them both ways. It does make the car look cleaner without them. :Twocents: