News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My long, long battle with a simple dipstick (I'm losing)

Started by nge, December 23, 2014, 10:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nge

Hi all,
I'm having a bit of a problem here.
I recently had a 440 rebuilt and reinstalled in my 1973 Charger.
The shop reinstalled the dipstick tube so that it ran under the exhaust manifold. This wasn't really a problem, except that the dipstick handle hit the inner fender.
So, I pulled the tube to re-rout it and 3 week nightmare has begun!
I have tried to reinstall the stock tube and bent it. Tried and bent a Mopar Performance chrome tube and bent it, Next a I tried a $60 Mildon flexible tube but the end is too fat to fit behind the motor mount, I had to grind the Milodon end until the braiding let loose....so no luck.
My problem is the motor mount. All manufactures (Mildaon, Lokar, Mopar etc) all show the dipstick tube nicely installed next to the motor mount.
The problem is that no one shoes the frame part of the motor mount. On my 73, this is right in front of the tube hole in the block. The only way to get a tube in the block is to add and s-curve to the tube immediately before it enters the block. There is only about 1/4 -5/16 clearance and you really can't see back there, now way to get a wrench back there to tap it in...can only be tapped from the handle end of the stick.
I can get a stick in the hole only if I grind the lip off. (yes its that tight) But every time I try to tap the stick into the block, the tube will bend. I've tried grease, freezing, grinding etc. A Google search only shows the stick installed with the motor out of the engine so the frame mount interference is never shown.
I have ordered a total of 6 dipsticks (no joke) and I hope to send back the ones I don't use.....but this is frustrating and humiliating and I can start the car until I solve this) :flame:
Can any one help me with lessons learned, pictures or tricks?
Thank you
Vic