News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Great fix for loose or separated steering coupler seal and cover

Started by clemul, December 03, 2014, 01:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clemul

Just an FYI on a great item found on ebay. I use the search "mopar steering coupler clamp" to find this.This is a real problem solver and  I have been looking to see these for sale for years.They were designed by mopar to hold on the steering coupler seal that never seems to be crimped on as tight as the factory. Got one on my car and I love it. Installed in minutes without any tools or taking out column or steering box. It holds the seal so tight I didn't even crimp down the tabs on my cover so I can re-grease every driving season. Very happy with this item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Mopar-2996935-Steering-Coupler-Retaining-Clamp-most-62-80-Dodge-Plymouth-/301416193929?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item462dce1f89&vxp=mtr

b5blue

I ordered one to compare with my NOS one. Good find and highly recommended if it's spot on.  :2thumbs: 

clemul

I contacted the seller and he's said he got 3 NOS ones from and old dealership parts room. He said they used computer design programs to copy every bend, angle , spring tension etc. It's nice to have a period correct fix on coupler rather than the mig wire I wrapped over coupler just to make sure cover and seal didn't separate. Very happy with fit and "proper" look under hood.

twodko

Do these devices take the slop out of the steering wheel
or just make the coupler easier to lube?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

clemul

They only hold the coupler seal and seal cover tight against coupler. The factory used a special production jig to crimp the covers on and once they are removed for service they are never on as tight as from factory. This is a mopar designed part that was made to correct that. It is easier to grease coupling if you just use clamp to hold cover on and don't crimp down cover tabs. Probably a good idea to crimp and clamp as per factory TSB.these hep hold cover in place so you can crimp on cover a lot easier.

If your steering has slop in it I would check your suspension and steering first.

1973rallye

I am all over this. Ordered one for each of my cars. Crimping that cover on was a royal pain in the you know what. I refrained from getting another coupler kit for the second car for that reason. Time to redo them both using this to help keep everthing snug.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

b5blue

Quote from: twodko on December 03, 2014, 12:44:54 PM
Do these devices take the slop out of the steering wheel
or just make the coupler easier to lube?
They hold the whole assy. together after rebuild but it's not going to tighten anything.

twodko

No, i don't have slop in the steering system just with the steering wheel
itself when the engine is off. FirmFeel II box is new and tight.  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

b5blue

ACUDANUT

ws23rt

Charger-Bodie

I've got a couple nos one too,but ordered a few of these as well. The work well,that's for sure.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

I don't think these are assembly line correct, but introduced by Chrysler to fix a common problem?  :scratchchin:
Whichever the case, they look like a solid solution.  :yesnod:

I'm running a slip-on rubber boot thing from Steer-n-Gear right now. This is the second one now and it's split again just like the first one did. I have a third boot, I'm not even going to bother installing it because I know it will split again.
Might have to fork down for another stock coupler clamp/seal with one of those clips. 
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

This was a factory "in the field" fix. There was 2, a long and short.  :2thumbs: I was concerned that if the binder for the collapsible steering shaft let go it may stress the coupler cap into letting go some how. (Poof no steering!)
  I paid 35.00 for one a few years back for NOS and wanted two but got the very last one. (Extra just in case)

b5blue

Mine came in, I'll do a close compare this weekend. Looks fine and comes with a nice set of instructions. (Like a factory service bulletin) Thanks Cletus, you did a good job and are not trying to gouge money for it!  :2thumbs:

keith88

I just put a hose clamp up against the cover worked great.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

comet_666

moparnation74

keith88

Ordered one two seeing that it will work better than what i did. :lol:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

toocheaptosmoke

Started reading this thread and thought great, I might have to get one!!!

Quote from: keith88 on December 09, 2014, 05:57:20 AM
I just put a hose clamp up against the cover worked great.

Then I read this and was like, yup that's probably what I'll end up doing.  :lol:

larmstrong11

Thanks for the review and info. I ordered 2 my friends 70 road runner and my 70 charger, thanks again

keith88

Got mine yesterday installed it today they work well but is a bear to get on you will need to tap it on with a small hammer.

ACUDANUT

Someone mentioned using a hose clamp. I can't see that working too well ?

keith88

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 12, 2014, 02:41:05 PM
Someone mentioned using a hose clamp. I can't see that working too well ?
It was me, The hose clamp did work but this holds the whole cover tighter. Worth the $20